Author Topic: Digitech Trio+ Some advice please.  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
Re: Digitech Trio+ Some advice please.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 12:25:31 am »
The most annoying and frustrating thing about the Trio+ is the ease with which you can spend several hours perfecting something only to then realise you have overwritten a previous thing you spent hours perfecting.

Another one is constructing a song track in a slot and then forgetting what it was because you haven't used the Trio+ for a while!

So take Rossco01's advice and download the Trio Manager software.  It allows you to name the track to something useful. You can then save it off the card and move it back when you need it.  I only just discovered it myself.

Windows : https://digitech.com/en/softwares/trio-manager-v1-1-0-windows-7-and-later
Mac: https://digitech.com/en/softwares/trio-manager-v1-1-0-mac-os-x-10-8-5-or-later

You'll also need a microsd card reader e.g.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 09:27:15 am »
Thanks for the advice Rossco/Matt. Part of the learning curve is screwing things up! I’ll give the Manager software a go but will also ensure I keep a note of what’s where and not rely on memory. Maybe use song slots 1-6 for things I’m working on and keeping and the others for ‘messing around’ and practising scales etc. I doubt I’ll ever have 12 perfect song backing tracks but who knows.

It really is a great bit of kit. At the moment I’m using my electric to create the backing then using my accoustic to play along. Great fun!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 08:20:59 pm »
I was doing a little noodling tonight so thought I'd record it. Sound quality isn't the best (I could have done with turning up Trio a bit) but you get the gist. It shows me building a basic drum/bass track from 12 bar blues in B, then overlaying the 12 bar blues itself (almost forgetting the turnaround!) and then finally a little solo noodling over the top.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:33 am »
Great stuff Rossco. I see you have the extra foot switch (FS3X) for your Trio+. I think I need one as when it’s on the floor it’s not easy to change settings (old eyes!) and if it’s beside you on the seat you need a third hand to operate it!
What extra cables are needed for the foot switch? The diagram on the instructions calls it a TRS cable, is that different from a normal guitar to amp cable? Also the diagram doesn’t show a power supply to the switch, does it take its power from the Trio?

Update - I’ve just looked up TS and TRS cables on Google. Yes, they are different but the explanation as to the difference sent me to sleep! I just like things to work I don’t need to know why. Lol.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:46:28 am »
Glad you liked it. I have to admit I'm not sure on the extra cable as I bought the Trio Plus, FS and cable all together second hand. It looks just like a normal 1/4" guitar cable, certainly the connectors are.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 02:06:02 pm »
Update - I’ve just looked up TS and TRS cables on Google. Yes, they are different but the explanation as to the difference sent me to sleep! I just like things to work I don’t need to know why. Lol.
Further update - A TRS cable is included with the foot switch! Problem solved.

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 01:06:05 pm »
A friend recently wanted  me to learn Day Tripper.  It’s not too difficult, so wrote up a chord chart and built the song on the Trio+.
The chord chart and tlsd file are posted at the end.

Tips for tweaking:

1. Genre/Style Knob
Teach the Trio+  part 1 of the song. It will choose  the genre/style what it thinks is appropriate.
Play around with genre options until you find something that seems reasonable.
Play with the style option to find the best option in that genre.

2. Simple Bass button
You have three options for Bass
Off  =  Active.  This means that the bass line will be more complex and more improvisational.
Green = Root Riff.  It will only play the roots of each chord.
Red = Simple Root.  Only plays the first root note of each bar.

3.Part Button option.
You can tap this and change it to red to add some intensity to the part.

4. Alt/time button.  Sometimes the Trio misunderstands the tempo. You might be aiming for 70 and it picks it up as 140. If the tempo seems to fast or slow this can be used to halve it. I’m not yet sure if it doubles it   You can  force it to select the fastest or slowest tempo when you teach it. (see page 30).

5. Tempo
Teach the Trio part 1. Then select part 2 and arm the trio (the red light will flash) Now press and hold the part 2 button for 2 seconds. It will then flash and the Trio will match the tempo of the previous. If you look at the file in the Trio manager it will show the tempo it has selected.  Notice in the Trio manager that the tempos dont match. That is because I redid part one using a metronome. If part one is redone it has nothing previous to match. I matched part 2 to part 1.

I have also added the tlsd file.  You can drag this into the folder "Trio+ Song Library" which is created when you install the Trio Manager. Now when you startup Trio Manager you should see the file and you can drag it onto the SD Card in one of the 12 slots.

I built it in 4 parts
Part1 - The intro
Part2 - The verse
Part3 - The chorus
Part4 - The interlude and solo

I sequenced as 1 2 3 2 3 4 2 3 1 1

Day Tripper tlsd file
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:44:34 pm by Matt125 »

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »
Here is my attempt at Lay Lady Lay.  I constructed it as outlined in a previous post.  Note that the tempos match. I achieved this by holding down the part button for 2 seconds prior to teaching the Trio parts subsequent to part 1.  I chose Genre/style = Folk/2 as I felt this was closest.

Lay Lady Lay tlsd file

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 03:20:54 pm »
Guys, my FS3X footswitch has just arrived from Amazon. I can already tell this is a must have addition to the Trio+.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 08:47:41 pm »
This is great stuff Matt. Thanks very much for sharing your hard work and thanks too for the tweaking tips. Even with the 2 second push on the part button, I find it hard to get the tempo the same across all the parts. The Trio seems to want to do its own thing!

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 01:49:56 am »
I generally don't have problems attaining the same tempo between parts.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure you hear the click tempo before you teach the trio the next part.

2. Make sure you are in roughly the correct tempo. If necessary use a metronome. I generally only use a metronome for the first part if I'm trying to be accurate. The Trio+ seems very good at matching tempos.

3. Play a simple chord progression. DO NOT USE A COMPLEX STRUMMING PATTERN.

4. from the manual. If the TRIO+ provides an accompaniment that seems twice as fast or twice as slow as you expected,sometimes pressing the ALT TIME button can quickly give you the desired result. For more predictable ALT TIME functionality, you can enable Tempo Interpretation. See 'Tempo Interpretation Using The ALT TIME Button' on page 30 for more information.

5. Check the song using the trio manager software to find out what the actual tempo is for each part.

6. Check the genre/style hasn't changed significantly. Sometimes when you add a part it will select a completely inappropriate genre. Just set it back to what was working in the previous part and modify from there. You can force the Trio+ to use a particular genre/style for the part if you want to.  I usually don't. If it doesn't feel right I will modify it after I've heard Trios best effort.

I suspect number 3 might be you're problem. Don't play the song. The trio just needs to know the chord changes. If you are using a complex strumming pattern you might be confusing it.

From the manual:
TRIO+ can play songs with a maximum of one chord per beat, so try to keep your chord changes on
the beat. You can have chord changes on sub-beats, but be aware that the bass guitar will not follow
any such sub-beat changes.

Phillip McKnight has a helpful video on this. Keep it simple.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 10:24:38 am »
Great work Matt.
Good vibes.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »
3. Play a simple chord progression. DO NOT USE A COMPLEX STRUMMING PATTERN.
I suspect number 3 might be you're problem. Don't play the song. The trio just needs to know the chord changes. If you are using a complex strumming pattern you might be confusing it.
Your right, a simple one strum to the bar or chord change sorts out the tempo issue.
Any tips on how to achieve an outro ending so that things don’t just stop in mid air so to speak?

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2019, 07:56:57 am »

Any tips on how to achieve an outro ending so that things don’t just stop in mid air so to speak?

Glad to hear you got the timing sorted out. There is a learning curve involved with this pedal but it's not too difficult once you've been through it a few times.  Stick with it and I'm sure you'll be able to build songs quickly. It sounds like your on top of things already.  Once you know the parts and progressions of a song  the teaching and sequencing only take a few minutes. It's a great pedal for practicing, experimenting and jamming alone or with friends. It's helped me a lot. I play from time to time with a bass player and it's so quick and easy to put down a drum and rhythm track to jam with.  Lot's of fun to be had with this pedal.

Check youtube to see how others use the pedal. There are a lot of good videos to help you get the most out of it.

Unfortunately I can't offer any help on the outro/ending.  It's a common question and I've never seen it answered. If you want a more accurate backing then you might want to look at  software/DAW that is specifically designed to build backing tracks.  But as something that can give you a backing track to a song with basic chord progressions in  a very short time, the Trio+ is fantastic. It does, however, have it's limitations as you've just discovered.

Don't forget that you initially bought this pedal as a looper pedal.  Remember you can use it as a stand alone looper. You don't have to use the band function

Watch Doug Aldrich use the simple ditto looper below.

Paul Gilbert with a simple ditto

Kasper Falkenberg using a simple  looper

TCelectronic has a bunch of videos of great guitarists using their loopers. If you run out if ideas you could go here for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ditto+starjam

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2019, 08:58:17 am »
Hi Matt
Thanks so much again for all your time and effort. I (and I’m sure others reading this thread) really appreciate it. I’m not at the stage of wanting to use DAW software, the Trio+ is plenty for me at the moment. I need to spend as much time as possible learning to play my actual guitar and the Trio is certainly helping with that already!

Regarding outro endings, I have, by accident, created a sort of double drum beat right at the end of some of my backing tracks. Unfortunately I don’t know what I did differently, so I’ll have to try to analyse this as it gives a better ending to a song.

Haven’t had a chance to look at your looper links but you’ve given me plenty ‘homework’!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App