Author Topic: Summer Song (original)  (Read 366 times)

Offline brianlarsen

Summer Song (original)
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:29:20 pm »
I was going to take a rain-check for this event, but it’s been a while since I wrote a ditty of my own and I couldn’t help myself.
I hope this will provide some entertainment before the flurry of activity towards the deadline  ;D

Everyone stresses the importance of dynamics and variation in strumming and I have struggled to move away from simple strums/old faithful. I tried to incorporate backbeat muting in the verses (see Tammy’s Lesson 5) as well as muted pumping in the chorus.

Recorded on my phone; no audio editing.

I took the liberty of wearing shades for summer 8) and rotating the video as gimmicky distraction :P

For anyone interested, the lyrics are on the YouTube link.

ps  There is no Alice 

pps Hi Justin  ;D

Offline oldhead49

Re: Summer Song (original)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:47:13 pm »
Brian, I’m quickly becoming a fan/groupy of your playing, vocals, style and sense of humor.  Nothing to dislike here, including the shades on skull man.  Haha. Nice touch. You not only sound like summer coming but you and skull man very much look the part. Nice one all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:10 pm »
Love your vibe Brian. You have a flair for the lyric writing and great delivery. Love the way you keep pushing on with your playing, making fine progress. Summer look a winner. Rotating video ... no need to be self conscious and try and distract us, so I'd prefer none of those gimmicks and just enjoy watching and listening to you perform.

Offline embishop

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »
Glad you decided to enter Brian, that was great! Lyrics are very creative, and your strumming picks up a few different techniques and is excellent. You started out with the entertainment personality so that hasn't changed :) but you can sure see a difference in your guitar playing, your playing has certainly improved. I'll echo Dave and say nice one all around :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:54:50 pm »
@ Dave
Truly humbled.
Thanks for the time and positive comments  :)

@ David
It's rare to ever see a thread go up on the forum without encouragement from you- Cheers  :)
no need to be self conscious and try and distract us...
I'd be worried if I thought you believed I was self-conscious  ;)
I do think this might make some people's head spin!

@ Mari
Thanks  :)
I believe you are right. The funny thing is, that even though my guitar playing has improved over the last year, I'm not sure the songs are any better. A little more polished maybe, but not more entertaining...
(Not that I'm complaining- I get a lot of satisfaction playing for myself  :) )

Offline batwoman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:12:35 am »
Hey Brian, after following your video in an orbit around the sun I don't need to go to my osteopath this month!

Glad you've graced us with your cleverness and engaging self. Thankyou  :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:06:44 am »
@ David
It's rare to ever see a thread go up on the forum without encouragement from you- Cheers  :) I'd be worried if I thought you believed I was self-conscious  ;)
I do think this might make some people's head spin!

You're very kind to single me out, but I'm just one of the regulars who support and encourage the folk here, as we learn and enjoy the gift of music.

True, I don't think you are self-conscious per se.  Maybe a poor choice of words.  Let me just say then, whatever your reason for throw in the rotating video as a distraction, personally I don't want to be distracted ... I want to just sit back and enjoy your performance.  And your performances are always a treat, such great energy. 

But maybe I am just showing my age ... really don't like that style of MTV videos that bounce all over the place.  I just want to be able to listen, watch and enjoy the performance.

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:11:48 am »
@ Maggie
Spending half your life upside down, I would have thought this would have been right up your alley ;)
Thanks!

@ David
Ha! I do believe we are of a similar fine vintage (and may be wearing purple soon)
I won't promise not to throw the odd curve-ball again, but you can rest assured that the head-spinning has had its day.
Meanwhile, close your eyes and pretend you're on a soundcloud ;)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 12:18:58 pm »
@ Maggie
Spending half your life upside down, I would have thought this would have been right up your alley ;)
Thanks!

@ David
Ha! I do believe we are of a similar fine vintage (and may be wearing purple soon)
I won't promise not to throw the odd curve-ball again, but you can rest assured that the head-spinning has had its day.
Meanwhile, close your eyes and pretend you're on a soundcloud ;)

LOL

You are just the best Brian.  I confess at times I was turning my tablet with screen rotation locked :) I wouldn't want to miss the visuals ...

Online redrhodie

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:17:42 pm »
Haha. Brilliant. You crack me up. My favorite line was not caring if your mole becomes a melanoma. Lots of stuff going on here. Much to take in. All of it excellent. Loved it!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline jono

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 10:58:29 pm »

It is a great song and video (except for the rotation, I kept turning my phone around)
I liked the muted pumping, I will look into that.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 01:24:37 am »
Hi Brian,
Great to see you entertaining us again, although I don't know how you stay so composed when you're upside down! As always you're off beat quirky lyrics are the star of the show, but your playing is coming along fine. Keep em coming bro!
Neil

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:58 am »
@ Lynn
My pleasure and Thank you  :)
(I'm sure half my 'puns' hit brick walls (my wife asked yesterday: why 'rain forever'? and a good friend: what's a 'blunt'? ;) )

@ Jono
Thanks for the listen and comments.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I got the 'muted pumping' thing from. I'm sure I've heard that kind sound in many songs, but am probably using the wrong term.

@ Neil
Thanks!
'nuff said ;)

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:01 am »
Brian,
Whatever the "right term" for muted pumping is, it's no longer so. From now on it has to be known as muted pumping - I can see it now in all of the text books!!
Neil

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 09:31:15 am »
Nice rhythm, funny and enjoyable as usual ;D Good stuff!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App