Author Topic: Fender Special Edition Standard Jaguar HH Pau Ferro Fingerboard  (Read 310 times)

Offline annemarie.kaczorowski

• Good Vibes 0
Anyone like to give my their opinion between  Fender Special Edition Standard Jaguar HH Pau Ferro Fingerboard  And Yamaha RS420 for choices for a beginner? My range is up to $550.
I’m interested in blues, jazz, types of music. No heavy metal or shredding ever.  Thank you so much.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
Re: Fender Special Edition Standard Jaguar HH Pau Ferro Fingerboard
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:13:27 pm »
Well, if I were picking between those two I'd go with the Jaguar. No particular reason except I think that one is a really cool guitar that would inspire me to pick it up. That said, the Yamaha is pretty cool, too, and Yamaha has a solid reputation. I don't have any personal experience with Yamaha electric guitars, though (and I have a lot of experience with Fenders). So take my Jaguar pick as "that's what J.W.C. likes" and not "this guitar is an objectively better choice."

Do you already have an amp? If not, what are your plans/budget for an amp? That could make a difference in your choice, too. (You might save a little money getting the Yamaha guitar and put the savings towards an amp.)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:20 pm »
Your choices are extraordinarily narrowed down to two specific guitars not on everyone's radar of obvious choices so can you tell us why those two models and no others?

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:45:17 pm »
I was interested in an electric that was comfortable to play for someone with short fingers(or small hands). Also something in the price range I stated. I kept seeing the Yamaha Pacificas come up and also Squires. But the Squires has many mixed reviews. While looking at Pacificas, the relatively recent Revstars we’re getting good reviews also.  So I thought maybe that would be a possibility and the price was right. Then I saw some Fender Jaguars on sale for about same price as the Revstars that are on sale. I also wanted HH BECAUSE, I really dislike that single coil buzz.. So there it is, why I have  narrowed to those choices. But I’m still open to suggestions. This is a hobby for me. There will be no career as a musician. I am doing this because I have also wanted to play and understand the instrument and entertain myself.
Thank you for asking and am very open to ideas, suggestions.
Amp will just be a practice amp with some basic modeling so I can have fun with it.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:26:14 am »
Many new guitarists are concerned that there is something about their hands and/or fingers that makes it especially difficult for them. In most cases, the concern is misplaced. Guys with big huge hands and fat fingers can play a standard guitar. Kids with little bitty hands can play a standard guitar. I'm not saying that the size of your hands and fingers doesn't make a difference, but usually the difference isn't something significant or something to be too concerned about.

That said, I'd encourage you to try out some of the guitars you're considering. There are a lot of factors that can go into how comfortable a guitar is to play: scale length, neck profile/radius, body depth, weight, et cetera. There's no substitute for actually holding a guitar and feeling how it plays.

If you're really concerned about smaller hands, you might also look at Fender Mustangs and Duo-Sonics, which have a shorter scale length (24") than many guitars, although they usually have single coils. I think some Duo-Sonics have a bridge humbucker, though.

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:07 pm »
Thank you for your thoughts and advice. Very helpful.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:49:39 pm »
Thanks for adding the extra info.

Of the two you name in your original post it is hard to come down either way. Both have their qualities.

If being small and wanting comfort is a factor you have already identified then go with that notion ... but there are other options too. Weight is a factor for comfort. So what about some semi-hollow guitars such as:

Epiphone ES339 Pro ( a smaller bodied version of the legendary ES335)
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/ES-339-PRO.aspx

Ibanez AS83 (Ibanez are known for having slim necks)
https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/as83_01.html

Hofner Verythin Deluxe
https://www.hofner-guitars.com/guitars-basses/electric-guitars/verythin-guitars/verythin-deluxe-transparent-red.html

Or similar

Online joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:26:29 pm »

Ibanez AS83 (Ibanez are known for having slim necks)
https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/as83_01.html

Ibanez necks are thin but they tend to be wider across the fretboard though, or at least my AS73 does.

Some Squiers have thinner necks. My Affinity Strat does and unless my vernier calipers are lying it's only 40.5mm at the nut too. I find it a bit cramped TBH.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:58:20 pm »
Can only agree with joueur de guitare here, close, that's a fairly regular Ibanez neck, not exactly super thin.
I get the feeling you're thinking of the more expensive models with the Wizard necks, those are thinner than most.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:19 pm »
I'll defer to joueur and Dan on the Ibanez necks ...

I was not advising from hands on experience ... and I've erred slightly

Still worth a look at the general type of guitar I mention in terms of comfort, playability and they are renowned as jazz / blues guitars too ... though that is more to do with fashion, convention and style as most guitars can do jazz or blues to be honest.

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 03:56:11 pm »
Everyone here has given my great info. Thank you all very much.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App