Author Topic: Beginner Capo tip  (Read 269 times)

Offline Sc77

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Many a slip and twist betwixt the cup and the lips
Beginner Capo tip
« on: June 06, 2019, 04:11:16 pm »
I remember a few years into playing guitar I became obsessed with trying to learn every David Gray song.
Thats a tip in itself because he used so many great tunings and chords , he really helped me get better.
Anyways...One of his songs , he places the capo on the 2nd fret of the guitar ... but only on the e a d g and b strings...leaving the bottom string open. ( Tuning becomes f# b e a c# e ) The point is it produces a lovely sound to your open chords .. and no need to play the bottom e , just leave it open ... sounds lovely on the e minor , a minor , c , g  etc
Nice to fingerpick as well ...hopefully someone may get some value from this.
Just to clarify only put the capo over five strings.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:40:56 pm by Sc77 »

Offline Alex6strings

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
Re: Beginner Capo tip
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:07:22 pm »
Interesting SC, I can't remember a David Gray tune that uses a partial capo, but it wouldn't surprise me.  He likes to mix it up with tuning etc

The one and only song i've learned using a partial capo is Rylynn by Andy Mckee.   From memory 4 strings are capo'd leaving the top 2 strings open. can't remember the tuning but nice song to play.   

Huh that reminds me, A very old man once said to me,

"I am partial to using a capo, i just don't use a partial capo."   8)    I mumbled something and kept walking, It's not until  just now that i realise what that crazy old man was on about.   

You're right though SC the sounds you get when you're using a partial can be great.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Sc77

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 02:31:41 am »
You got me thinking now...I have no guitar to hand to try out
I am working on a farm in the japanese mountains.. I only came for a holiday 😅 so I left guitars behind ..but on deeper reflection...I think the song I used to use this on was green eyes by Cold Play.

Offline Alex6strings

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:39:09 am »
I'd love to be in Japan right now.   How is it?  Is this your first trip?   You sound Australian?  I am.   I've travelled a lot SE Asia heaps but Japan I've been obsessed with  for a while.   How long are you planning on staying ?   Can you get me a job there?  Lol seriously though.

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Sc77

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 01:41:59 pm »
Its a great country...I have been about 8 times.
I am here a month this time..I hope to stay for two more..
I am irish :)
I was in Sydney for two years .. loved it.
Check out the link....Its a great way to see Japan
https://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en

Offline Alex6strings

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 11:11:52 pm »
Thanks mate i appreciate that.   I will check it out, sounds great.    Two years in Sydney?  No wonder I thought you were Aussie.   

I've not been to Ireland but I have a good ole Irish surname.  My father's side of the family tree are all Irish.       I've always felt a need to travel to Ireland, I thought it was family history thing but it's more of a beer thing. 

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App