Author Topic: 2019 Cover #21 (Die Mauer)  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #21 (Die Mauer)
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:15:22 pm »
This weeks cover is a song in Swedish but with a German title. The song is about the Berlin wall and how it split people living very near each other. Released in 1982 by punk band Ebba Grön. Ebba was influenced by punk bands like the Pistols and the Clash and the most famous of the bands in the punk boom in the early 80's in Sweden. The original version has a epic sax solo in the end but can't play sax very good so skipped that  :)  I was a little to young for Ebba when they were active (i was born in 1971) but I listened to them a lot in the 90's and I still listen to them I must confess.

Tried to mix up a little with muted strumming in the first section and old faithful in the second section and also some single strums in the chorus. Far from perfect...

https://youtu.be/r1a4OhDp5eM

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
Re: 2019 Cover #21 (Die Mauer)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:31 pm »
Well, my Swedish is pretty weak LOL, so I can't follow what is being sung. However, I listened all the way thru. Your strumming sounded strong on this one and your vocals were nice and steady throughout. I enjoyed this Johan.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:11:18 am »
Johan, I can't keep my responses up with your posts.   ;D  I really like the sound of this one, guitar and vocal.  Really nice job on 21.  I think this one really fits you.   Do I hear some attitude in there???  ;)  Keep stretching - you're sounding good.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:38 am »
Excellent rendition, Johan.  Most enjoyable listen.

I'd say mission accomplished in terms of the variation in the strumming.  All three patterns sounded good and for me you moved smoothly from one to the next, no hiccups.  Your strumming action is now looking really grooved.

Vocal was excellent.  Like Dave, I picked up a little extra rasp in your voice on this one, ever so suitable for an acoustic punk tune.

You keep lifting your level, so with that in mind ...

There were moments during the second half of the song, when I had a feeling that the energy was going to pick up again and you'd get back to the muted down strums.  This based really on the feel I was getting from the singing, without of course understanding a word.  Not saying this to highlight something that needs to be improved, more just as something to keep in mind.

And again must applaud your effort to be learning and recording new songs at such a cadence.

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 02:55:24 pm »
Well done, Johan :) I also enjoy the bits of extra info you share with each recording, thanks for including them :)

Really impressive streak you got going on, all the best for the rest of the year :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:47 pm »
Hi Johan. Sorry I've missed a few of these. That was very good and  seems quite a bit of progression since I last heard you. I bet one song a week to recording standard has brought your playing on loads. I thought the feel that you gave that with your right hand was excellent.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 08:53:27 am »
Really enjoyed this Johan  :)
Made me go and check out the original, as it would have fitted right into what I was listening to as an 18-year old when it came out (English translation on YT page if anyone's interested)
Good job and feel free to throw in some more Scandi-sounds  ;)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:42:05 am »
Thanks guys for listening and giving feedback. I am impressed you continue to follow my posts every week. From your comments I think I managed pretty well with this one. But can't rest on my laurels, now I am working on #22.

Brian: Cool that you checked out the original. Did you like it? Have you heard of Ebba Grön before?

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:57 am »
I'm going to go check out the original to.    I really enjoyed this.  Your strumming with your vocals in this really suited your voice.    Great job Johan

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:48:55 am »
Thanks Alex! Joakim Thåström (the singer in Ebba Grön) is a fantastic singer so I think you can enjoy the original even if it is in Swedish. Die Mauer may not be very representative for Ebba Grön's sound which usually is more punky (fast, loud and wild) while this one is a rock anthem.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 07:59:14 pm »
Brian: Cool that you checked out the original. Did you like it? Have you heard of Ebba Grön before?
No, never heard of them, but I lived from '74-'84 in Switzerland (with a lot of German radio) and it reminded me of the kind of music that would have been played on the more alternative programmes.
The sax was cool, but the shooting sounds a bit gimmicky (not that I'm averse to gimmicks!)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App