Author Topic: Fixing a rusty Squire Strat?  (Read 346 times)

Offline RomanaOfTime

• Good Vibes 0
Fixing a rusty Squire Strat?
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:38:34 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm returning to these boards after a looong time so hopefully I'm following all the rules :)

I'm a beginner who is currently learning on acoustic, but was recently "gifted" my brother in law's old Squire Strat. Unfortunately he left it untouched on a stand for years, and all of the screws, strings and pickups are all brown and rusted. The scratch plate has turned from white to yellow, but the various knobs seem OK. The tuners and output jack seem to be OK too.

I'm thinking about going and getting a setup with new stings, just because I barely want to touch it right now out of fear of getting tetanus or something (I'm sure it's fine but its also kind of gross). Buying a new electric isn't really an option for me right now, I'm a married woman with a mortgage and I need to get a bit better with my playing before I talk to my hubby about buying something new.

My question is: is it saveable? Can I do something about all the rust, particularly on the pickups? How can I tell if the electronics on the inside still work, preferably without touching the rusty strings too much? Its not worth enough time or money to try and refurbish it completely, I really just want a decent electric that I can practise on until I can justify buying a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Fixing a rusty Squire Strat?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:39 am »
Hi Romana - welcome back.

Those dirty, old and rusty strings must be changed. That is a number one priority.

Everything else is less important.
Some people spend a small fortune either buying a relic guitar of having relic work done to their guitar. They spend money on having rust added!

I would advise you to take it to a shop for a spring clean, a setup and string change.
They will test that everything works etc and advise accordingly.
Most likely it all will work - it just looks mucky.
You can clean much of the guitar yourself in advance of this if you want.
Simply remove all strings, get a soft cloth with some very mild detergent water and clean the body and scratchplate. The yellowing is also no problem - it is natural.
Is the neck maple or rosewood - people use oil / lemon oil to clean rosewood.
You can begin to clean the chrome parts with an old toothbrush.
If you're feeling adventurous unscrew the scratchplate and look inside. Don't yank it out as there are wires attached. You can at least blow any old dust or wipe any grime out.

Offline RomanaOfTime

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:08:09 pm »
Hi Romana - welcome back.

Those dirty, old and rusty strings must be changed. That is a number one priority.

Everything else is less important.
Some people spend a small fortune either buying a relic guitar of having relic work done to their guitar. They spend money on having rust added!

I would advise you to take it to a shop for a spring clean, a setup and string change.
They will test that everything works etc and advise accordingly.
Most likely it all will work - it just looks mucky.
You can clean much of the guitar yourself in advance of this if you want.
Simply remove all strings, get a soft cloth with some very mild detergent water and clean the body and scratchplate. The yellowing is also no problem - it is natural.
Is the neck maple or rosewood - people use oil / lemon oil to clean rosewood.
You can begin to clean the chrome parts with an old toothbrush.
If you're feeling adventurous unscrew the scratchplate and look inside. Don't yank it out as there are wires attached. You can at least blow any old dust or wipe any grime out.

Thank you for your quick response! Im glad I was on the right track, it sounds like there's hope then! I'll take it for a setup with new strings first thing and see where I can go from there. I wouldn't have thought to use a toothbrush for cleaning, good tip! I'm not sure what the neck is made of but I'm sure I can find out, thankfully the body and fret board look OK :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:37:21 am by RomanaOfTime »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:13:33 am »
Romana

What can be done to an old Squire Affinity, this
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg368997#msg368997
and subsequent posts.

Yes you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App