Author Topic: 3 videos of Mrs C singing (with Mr C accompanying) at an open mic night.  (Read 4470 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
It has been such a long, long time since Mrs C and I went out and did some live music.
Or sat and properly played through some songs at home for that matter.
On Tuesday, at last, we went out to an open mic night.
It was a very last-minute decision so we were thoroughly under-rehearsed with no more than one rushed run through of a couple of songs before we left the house.
We didn't even know if we'd get the chance to do a spot.
We did - and we were asked later on to do a third song.
In order:

Carole King - It's Too Late

Linda Ronstadt - Different Drum

Bob Dylan - It Ain't Me Babe

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Hi Richard,
Not sure why it "has been so long" since you and Mrs C have gotten out and about. You 2 go well together, the Misses has a very nice voice. You had the audience in the swing too. What I was not expecting was the quality of the recording grab. Nice job there, the DI of your guitar was great and the mic on the vocals did well indeed.

I must point out many on here struggle to capture a "campfire style" recording with a mic on guitar and one on vocals. The bleed gets in the way of a good mix. But you have made a great demonstration of what others should take note of. Buy a guitar that has great DI tones and you have much more tracking versatility. And this is no exception as you put it to good use here.

Great performance and  good to see you folks out and about. I think I will be echoed by others in saying what took so long and when can we have more?

Rock on!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline tewky

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
Very cool, you were both great! You must have a great time at home jamming, tiny bit jealous :)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2014 Honeyburst
Line 6 Toneport UX2
Vox Adio air modelling Amp
Guitar Rig 5
Ableton Live

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
I really enjoyed each of these. Nice to see you and the missus together like that.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
I feel like I'm in oz and the curtain's been pulled back. Haha. Lovely to finally see you, wizard!

You guys look and sound very sweet together. Mrs. C has a beautiful voice. I was watching your playing, and you have a very fluid, effortless looking style. Love how you do muting so easily. Your hand is always moving like it's supposed to. You're perfect. Makes me want to practice.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Bravo Bravo

Three delightful songs.  What can I say, fabulous playing, Richard, Mrs C sings beautifully and a good quality video production.

Loved the singing along.   

And an added bonus to see the two of you.  Hope there'll be more of these in the future ... near rather than distant future ;)

Thanks so much for sharing.

I must point out many on here struggle to capture a "campfire style" recording with a mic on guitar and one on vocals. The bleed gets in the way of a good mix. But you have made a great demonstration of what others should take note of. Buy a guitar that has great DI tones and you have much more tracking versatility. And this is no exception as you put it to good use here.

LBro, since you've brought this up and as one who has struggled with campfire style recording and bleed ...

My challenge is usually guitar bleed onto the vocal track, so DI to track the guitar would not help with that.  I don't find I have a bleed problem vocal onto the guitar when recording the guitar with a mic, at least not until I can maybe sing with more volume and projection like Mrs C  ;D

I'm wondering what kind of mic that was?  If a super-cardiod dynamic that would help with isolation.

And the recording situation would be different as a live duo. Maybe the extra distance between vocal mic and guitar makes a significant difference?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
Many thanks all for your kind words.
:)

The organiser of the open mic night worked as soundman - he ran a pa through a mixer console with video camera by its side - I think (though didn't look closely nor ask) that the audio came direct through the mixer to the video camera via a wired connection. I was DI to the pa and Mrs C was obviously on a mic - not sure what type. I was about three feet to her right. I also had my soundhole cover in place.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
    • YouTube
Sounded great! I've been here for at least a year and had no way of knowing that you actually played guitar. I'm sure it's the first thing you've shared since I've been knocking around here. Why are you holding back? You got some great chops and new found respect from me. Really nice tracks, loved it! Good vibes go out to you.

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 19
Good songs and great performance. I really liked your duet, guitar and vocals perfectly! Thanks for sharing, I would love to listen to something else.

Mike

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Many thanks all for your kind words.

The organiser of the open mic night worked as soundman - he ran a pa through a mixer console with video camera by its side - I think (though didn't look closely nor ask) that the audio came direct through the mixer to the video camera via a wired connection. I was DI to the pa and Mrs C was obviously on a mic - not sure what type. I was about three feet to her right. I also had my soundhole cover in place.

Thanks for the extra details ... DI plus a soundhole cover ... never thought about that as an option when making campfire style recordings.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
@ Clint - means a lot, thanks. :)
I used to record lots of videos - including many of me taking my first tentative and fumbling steps towards learning to play pentatonic lead. Most recently - a few years back now though - I put up some band rehearsal / gig videos. My channel is here

@ Mike thanks you ... three older vids of Mrs C and me here

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
Close, I'm really glad that you posted these videos.  All three are just excellent; love the sound of your guitar and playing and the Mrs. singing.  A really, really fun listen.  And I hope you'll post more in the future.  Nice to see you performing.  Very well done.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
Tx for posting these Richard.  Nice to get to know you and Mrs C better in this way.

I enjoyed the performances and loved the chemistry between the two of you at the end of the third video. Looks like you enjoyed it.

Mrs C has a beautiful voice and was nice to watch the various techniques you used in your playing.

Very well done, keep rocking.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
Thanks Richard, I really enjoyed these videos. I think it was the first time I saw you play, very very solid and beautiful singing by Corinne. Well done!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
Lovely Richard :) I'm glad we are finally getting to hear you (and of course Mrs C) again :)

Added bonus is that I might have a good guess that close is actually an acronym ^^
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
This is superb!
You both look and sound like you do this all the time.
Time to work out a set-list and join Lieven in search of a moniker to perform under  ;)
Vibes!

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
Well done both!

An accomplished performance and good choice of songs. It didn't look like a last minute thing at all.

Congratulations to both. Mrs Bumble sends her regards as well and also liked the performance.

Edit;

I should have said that thanks are also due for reminding me of "Different Drum" a favourite song by one of my favourite (and underrated) singers. So have some vibes for that.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 156
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
LBro, since you've brought this up and as one who has struggled with campfire style recording and bleed ...

My challenge is usually guitar bleed onto the vocal track, so DI to track the guitar would not help with that.  I don't find I have a bleed problem vocal onto the guitar when recording the guitar with a mic, at least not until I can maybe sing with more volume and projection like Mrs C  ;D

I'm wondering what kind of mic that was?  If a super-cardiod dynamic that would help with isolation.
True,
The DI would only solve half the issues as you point out. Actually was thinking about that as I played DI in later in the day with an acoustic. The sound hole cover is something I never really thought of. Good trick/tip there. SC Mic is a key as well I would think. I know even the Shure cardioid I have was picking up some bleed. Only other thing I can think or is you might be able to EQ out some of the guitar bleed from the vocal track. Though there may be other ways around this, but as such I am not aware of them... I am all ears though.

I guess in my use I rarely "campfire it" so I am always looking at it from a point where noise is bothering the guitar tracking and not the other way around...

I once saw the Steve Miller band and all were outfitted with headsets and an attached mic. This put the mic optimally very close to the (mouth) sound source. They may have had a very specialize SC mics on that setup. I sure know the sound that night did not suffer at all as the vocals were superb. But the noise rejection in such a set up might be very beneficial.

Rocking on....
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline diademgrove

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
I'm mightily impressed. Mrs close2u has a great voice and your playing was the perfect accompaniment. My favourite song from the three posted was It Ain't Me Babe.

I hope we are going to see some more soon.

Keith

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
Hey Richard. Such enjoyable performances. Did I hear the audience singing along, especially in the last video?  Would love to have been there. Beautiful. You both were excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
Well that was just superb, Richard! Really enjoyed all 3 songs, and Mrs. C sure has a beautiful voice. I hope we get to see & hear more from the 2 of you.
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
This was great close, i bet it felt good up there, you play great and Mrs C's voice is delightful.   But where were your nerves?  You both look like pros. Well done. 

Im inspired, actually ive decided to hold auditions for a wife.   'Seeking  pretty Pitch perfect lady,  to accompany not so pretty bald guitar player.   Must have own PA and mics.   Please send picture of PA.'     

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
That's awesome stuff, Richard.
I definitely hear the crowd singing along, they must have liked the performance too ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
I ... loved the chemistry between the two of you at the end of the third video. Looks like you enjoyed it.

Time to let you in on a little secret.
Did you notice Mrs C whisper to me after verse 1 of It Ain't Me Babe?
I'd started off at a tempo that can only be described as pedestrian and she was telling me to speed it up. It was so slow she was struggling to get her breathing right to see her through her lines. I upped the tempo a touch for verses 2 and 3 but not by all that much. That is what what the bit of chemistry and laughter was at the end. :) :) :)

@ max_mue ... yes you're right !!

@ Mr Bumble - thanks - give my regards and good wishes to Mrs B too.

At everyone else ... thank you. Your comments are welcome and warming.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
Great job Close... always wondered what you and Mrs C looked like  :D All sound great and have nice guitar and vocal.  Nice to see the Epi in action...I'm pleased with mine (bought I think on your suggestion too). Works great from an electro accoustic.

Great to hear the audience getting involved as well.

Hopefully will see more you performing soon!
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App