Author Topic: 2019 Cover #19 (Basket Case)  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #19 (Basket Case)
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:03 pm »
Maybe a little rushed but I did my best. Tried do use some palm muting in the first verse and then some open strumming. Not sure if it sounds any good. Need to slow it down a bit and use some more dynamics. The outro definitely need more work. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/hZCIMlMVDTo
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
Re: 2019 Cover #19 (Basket Case)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »
i think your technique is really good, i wish mine was as controlled. Yeah there's a couple of fluffs and the vocal goes a bit off key here and there, but overall this is a really good attempt at the song.  i was particularly impressed with your right hand, it was in a great position and you had full control, just the right amount of movement. Good stuff!
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:41 pm »
I thought it was pretty good Johan. I took my kids to see Green Day a long time ago. Great show it was. Anyway, I digress. I agree, that your technique is good. I find each of us is our hardest critic for sure. It definitely sounds good and the outro was better than you think IMHO. I gave you a Good Vibe to bring you to an even 60.  ;D
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:34:22 pm »
I think that sounds really good. I've been listening to a lot of green day lately. It's my boss's son's favorite band, and I play him music while I work. Anyway, I don't think you need to slow it down. The tempo felt right to me. That song has a ton of energy in it. Your singing sounds good, too. I haven't been listening to all your songs lately, so I can hear a lot of improvement in both playing and singing. Very cool!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:45 am »
Another good job Johann.
I just deleted a whole post asking why you were playing the 5th string root barres with your 3 & 4 fingers, before I realised they are power chords- Doh!  ::)
It's a long and slow learning process...

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:13:24 pm »
Thanks bird, hilts, Lynn and Brian. Means a lot for me that you taking time listening and supporting my guitar journey.

b1rdland: Glad to hear my technique looks good. Lots of hard work behind it. I have worked A LOT with the right hand, since I struggled badly with strumming in the beginning. Getting better though. Still not as smooth, fast and accurate as I would like though. One thing I noticed is that most guitarists (including Justin) usually use bigger movements than me when they strum. I use only wrist motion, almost no arm. But it seems to be working. Maybe if I wanna play real loud I need to use more arm motion. Something to work on.

hilts: Glad you liked it, I guess I am a harsh critic of myself, but I am also proud I can do this. Certainly not easy. Its very rewarding being able to play a great song like this all the way through. But at the same time you just need an internet search to see guitarists that are so much better, and its impossible not to focus on the weaknesses and how to get better.

Lynn: The tempo is maybe a little faster than the original. Its not intentional I would like to slow it down a bit. Playing without any metronome so its hard to get the right tempo but glad to hear it worked in this tempo. Nice that you can hear improvement and that you liked the singing.

Brian: Yeah its power chords all the way through. Its a long and bumpy journey for sure. But fun.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Mikko1984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 02:25:44 pm »
Never thought this song would work that well with acoustic guitar. Nicely done.  8)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:16:05 pm »
Really solid performance,  Johan.

You did a great job on the palm muting. Great tone which you kept consistent through that section.

I thought the tempo sounded right ie not feeling rushed or dragging. Don't know the original so have no comparison,  just sounded great.

Steady rhythm,  clean chords ... time to GAS up and get yourself an electric to get fully into these power chord rockers. Techniques displayed will rock on the electric  8)

A couple of sections need a little more practice, but given the frequency you are making these recordings,  it is excellent for the practice time you've had.

Now I can say ... Rock On !!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »
Johan, I'm not familiar with the song, so don't know if it was rushed.  If anything it sounded a little forced to me.  Maybe that's the rush you are talking about.  That being said, considering you are doing one a week I believe you are doing a great job of it.  It still sounds solid and chording is right there.   Only 33 more to go.  This is truly interesting listening to you nail one a week.  You are to be commended for sure.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 07:48:36 am »
Thanks Mikko, David and Dave!

Mikko: Its a fantastic song and it works pretty well on the acoustic. Can't play it exactly the way I want yet, but it sounds ok.

David: Good to know the palm mute works well. I think its pretty difficult to make the palm mutes sound well.

Yeah I have been thinking about an electric for a while. I have a music shop 200 meters from my work office so really no excuses for going down and try at least. But at the same time I dont have that much time right now to learn about electric guitar, amps, pedals etc. We'll see, long term I gonna get an electric for sure.

Dave: Good vibes for listening and commenting every week! 19 down, 33 to go!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App