Author Topic: Jamming To The Song  (Read 947 times)

Offline Ziggy75

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Metal Wizard in training
Jamming To The Song
« on: May 19, 2019, 09:39:16 pm »
So I've been practising a song on the electric guitar from the beginner songbook, "Wild Thing", and I was not getting the structure right.  I was a bit stuck until I decided to overcome my mental block with playing / Jamming with the song.  The amp I have has an audio in socket for laptop/phone, etc, so I connected my phone to play the song.  I used headphones because I have neighbours above me.  I couldn't believe how much fun it would be, and it really helped me remember the structure of the song.  I wish I'd tried it sooner.

I have also experienced progress in a couple of hard chord progressions I've been trying to master, mainly the key of B. I should mention that I've been trying to learn to play for more than a decade, so I know loads of theory, chords and scales, but lack the muscle memory and technical skill.

My outlook this time is much brighter than previous attempts.  Thanks Justin!

Playing to the song is my tip to others like me. Give it a try if you haven't already!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Jamming To The Song
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:44:31 pm »
I fully concur.

Slow down with software if you need to.
Then get up to tempo and play along.

To add another aspect ... play along to the song and stand up like you're in the band.
It may help you feel the rhythm and groove.

Offline Cummings

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:43:49 am »
Did you know you can slow down YouTube too? No need for software.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:17:55 am »
I love reading posts like this. Ziggy I'm stoked that you have made this discovery, I'm feeling a rush just reading your thread so I imagine you're feeling pretty good about this.   What you're experiencing is the reason we all do this.   Jamming is making music.  Whether alone or with other people,  our souls yearn to make music, and the guitar is our vehicle, or one of them.   

The fact that jamming has helped you break through some barriers that we're keeping you from progressing makes perfect sense to me.   Who would have thought that playing music on guitar was a great way of learning how to play music on guitar    35 years Ive been playing guitar and I try not to go a day without playing music.   Technical practice is important,  as is understanding your instrument,  but playing music, no matter what your playing level is, is imho  essential if you want to be a real musician.   

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:35:49 pm »

Who would have thought that playing music on guitar was a great way of learning how to play music on guitar

Two thumbs up. Music is what it's all about and it doesn't have to be hard or fancy to be enjoyable.

To quote Woody Guthrie
“Anyone who uses more than two chords is just showing off.”

I know that's not true but I still love that Quote.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
Music is what it's all about and it doesn't have to be hard or fancy to be enjoyable.

The Guthrie quote is good, but the Stitch101 quote says it all.   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline Fantomas01

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:45 pm »
Hi

I have also got into playing along with the record or a backing track.  It can be hard in some cases where there are lots of different guitar tracks etc. 

I like playing along to live recordings and turning up the reverb on my amp, and it's like I'm on stage with the band ;)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:52:07 pm »
Woody Guthrie “Anyone who uses more than two chords is just showing off.”
Lou Reed "One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 04:34:03 pm »
Lou Reed "One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

I'm going to add that one to my list of quotes. 8)

Offline Ziggy75

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Metal Wizard in training
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:31:46 pm »
I only tried it once before (the start of this thread), mainly because there is some anxiety about jamming with the song for me.  Anyway, I decided that for all my practice (an average of 1 hour a day) I needed to jam with the original song for more realistic practise, because:
  • The song doesn't stop if you fluff a chord or another mistake, so you have to keep going
  • It helps me learn the tempo and rhythm, and get a better understanding of the song structure
  • It gives you instant feedback of where you need to practice

I have a playlist of all the songs I can play or that I am trying to learn on my phone, so I decided to hit play and play along one after the other.  The early (easy) songs were great, some need more practice, but I was shocked by how different my previous practice was compared to the song in regards to tempo, which caught me out when the harder songs started.  So basically, I started thinking I was good at the song but quickly shown that I really need to work on a lot of things.  I now have a list of practice ideas, things I need to work on, and a renewed love of jamming with the song.

Sorry, even though I was disappointed at the negative feedback from playing the song, I'm still buzzing. So much fun!

My tip again is if you are a beginner, like me, playing with the song is a great idea.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 09:22:29 pm »

Awesome. That quote just got me to buy a Velvet Underground iTunes album 😃
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App