Author Topic: I Went Against the Advice  (Read 630 times)

Offline emwatty

• Good Vibes 0
I Went Against the Advice
« on: May 17, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
I started playing guitar way back in high school. Before there was youtube... I didn't learn much because I didn't go to lessons. I left the guitar at home when I went off to school and my brother took it up. I was happy for that beautiful instrument (solid wood top) to go to more capable hands. After many years of not even thinking about guitar, I missed playing. So I bought another acoustic because folky campfire songs are more my style and I mainly just jam for Jesus.

But then I found my way here and kept seeing that learning on electric was easier. And of course I want to actually be good, rather than awkwardly strumming G,C, D for every song. After confirming with my brother that electric was easier, my GAS flared up. I finally settled on a Yamaha Pacifica 112V in sonic blue. NO! Squier Affinity Strat in Surf Green. Hmmm but the reviews on the Pacifica seem so much better. And back and forth I went. What was stopping me was the $100 price difference. I know, I've read so many peoples advice on just get the one that feels better, even if it costs more. Blah, blah, blah. Well I'm a stay at home mom with two little money pits, I mean children to think about. $100 can buy a lot of diapers!

The real advice I went against, was that I bought the Pacifica on Amazon sight unseen. I was not about to drag my said two small children into a guitar store to brake $1000s equipment... The one I bought was marked used but it was $80 off so really only $20 more than the Affinity. I do love that surf green though... I figured if I really hated it or if it didn't play well, Amazon has a pretty good return policy and I COULD JUST SEND IT BACK. I've seen so many posts around "Don't buy online. You must hold it!". Let me tell you, this thing is pretty sweet. I love it and I'm probably not sending it back. The listing stated that it had minor cosmetic damage to the body, but I looked it over and everything looks okay. It didn't even have the plastic peeled off.

My acoustic is a Yamaha... didn't make the connection that I bought another Yamaha until I was staring at the box. So forget Fender or Gibson. Yamaha is where it's at ;)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
Re: I Went Against the Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:35:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum enwatty

Yamaha has always make great guitars even their inexpensive one.
I say inexpensive because Yamaha doen't make cheap instruments.
If you have any problems with it, Electric guitars are easy to set up by
a qualified tech.

Music is the best gift you can give yourself or your two money pits.

Offline nfotis

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 04:03:18 pm »
The good thing about Yamahas seems to be their consistency. It's my impression that the Pacifica series is a nice Strat type guitar (I think I'll try again in the future to find a HSS with a fat neck)

Enjoy your instrument.

N.F.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum and Happy New Guitar Day.

I think a lot of the advice about trying the guitar out in person is more to do with "is this a guitar that feels good to you" than anything else. In particular, some neck profiles simply feel uncomfortable to some people. That tends to be on certain models, like PRS (although, personally, the neck profile I like the least is on my Telecaster).

Secondly, quality on some brands can be an issue. You might get a really nice one or you might end up with a bit of a dog. A lot depends on the store you bought it from and the brand of the guitar.

On one hand, guitars are precision instruments and it doesn't take much to have a guitar which isn't quite right. On the other hand, electric guitars are designed to be easy to make and easy to adjust. With modern CNC methods, it's not *that* hard to make an electric guitar.

The only problem is as a beginner, how do you know?

If there was a guitar that I wouldn't hesitate to suggest to people to buy "sight unseen" it would be the Pacifica 112V. I bought my daughter one of those via the Internet myself. Yamaha are a quality instrument maker and their quality control is consistently excellent. The Pacifica 112V is a great instrument.

About the worst that can happen with one of these guitars is that it's not that well set up out of the box, which can make it more difficult to play. If it's come from a reputable seller then it's likely to be fine.

I would definitely consider a string change and, at some point in the future if you can find someone nearby that can do it for a reasonable price, get a setup done on it (a "set up" is basic tweaking the adjustments on the guitar to optimise for playability and sound), but this shouldn't be essential.

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline nigec

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:05:34 pm »
I got some Affinity pickups, pickguard etc while I was attempting to my modify my Strat and oh my they where awful

Sound like you got a good deal :)
Guitars:  Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App