Author Topic: Brian Larsen's Road Case  (Read 581 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
Brian Larsen's Road Case
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:56 pm »
Yay- A whole year (+2 days) on the forum!  ;D

When my son asked for guitar lessons last spring, I decided it was ‘now or never’ if I was ever going to learn, so I bought him an entry level Yamaha C40 classical guitar, with the intention of listening in on his lessons and practising when the house was empty.
He soon migrated to base and I came across this website…

Double-Yay!  ;D ;D

I’m enough of a realist to know I will never be a virtuoso, but good enough is good enough and that means enjoying yourself (I haven’t quite decided whether improvement is even a necessary factor!)

I’ve had a whale of a time on my journey so far.
I am not nearly as disciplined as I should be if I want to technically progress quickly but can’t help my butterfly-behaviour and trying lots of different things along the way.

I have successfully avoided going down the GAS route (I’m a stingy ol’ git). Who knows, I may well succumb like so many before me, but in the meanwhile, I have grown extremely fond of the Yamaha and have decided to personalise it by getting all my local guitarist friends to sign it (as well as any of the great and good I might persuade). Watch this space...

Some highlights along the way:
  • Writing and sharing my first ‘song’ after six weeks of starting.
    Collaborating with Neil (FourTwo) and some good friends at a personally difficult time,
    Serenading Justin (on Skype) and Tommy Emmanuel (in person) with self-penned songs- Tengo cojones grandes 8)
It felt fitting to round off my first year by managing to incorporate the F barre chord into a song (see AVOYP)
I have a feeling barre chords will open up a whole new horizon on the song front, (although am possibly a bit sad that the rate of progress will seem slower as time progresses).

This site is a treasure trove of information for anyone wanting to learn how to play guitar, but the forum members and moderators are the fuel that drive us on in my opinion.

Thank you all.

Yours... in rock \m/

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Brian Larsen's Road Case
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:39:58 pm »
Happy anniversary and thanks for the joyous update / summary.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:32:13 am »
Once again, three cheers Brian.

It's a pleasure to have met you here and enjoy all you share, your music and your comments.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:47:03 am »
Happy anniversary Brian!

What a journey so far :)

Now off to your new post in the AVOYP section ;D
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »
Brian, well done my friend.   One year and you've come so far on your musical journey.    I've been inspired by your progress in the short time I've been on the forum so I"m sure you've inspired others, so thankyou.   I hope you have many more wonderful years playing this wonderful instrument we all love.     Good Vibes to you Sir.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:39:45 am »
It's been fun watching and listening as you find your voice on guitar. I appreciate you sharing your details here. Looking forward to many more originals.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:58:30 am »
This site is a treasure trove of information for anyone wanting to learn how to play guitar, but the forum members and moderators are the fuel that drive us on in my opinion.

... and you dear Brian are one of the treasures. You've entertained me, enriched my life, catapulted me into a deeply philosophical state, made me laugh till my face ached, provoked a few feverish Google searches in order to ease my embarrassing ignorance and yes, you've bought tears to my eyes.  What a love you are.

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 04:51:36 pm »
*blush*  :-[

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »
My pimped guitar 1)

I suppose those who worship their instruments will throw their eyes to heaven, but I have grown to love my Yamaha C40 and don't think the sound will be too adversely affected (with my playing level!)
It always irritated me slightly that there was only one white dot on the 7th fret, so I took it upon myself to us a hand drill to make (tiny) indentations, which I filled with white sharpie paint.
I'm a visual guy and find it very helpful already :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 03:50:36 pm »
My pimped guitar 2)

Some of you might have noticed signatures adorning my six-string in my video recordings:
This is Jim Pearson, a friend who lives just up the road.
I've seen him gigging around Merseyside loads of times (including in my living room)
He released a couple of solo cds and now writes, sings and plays guitar with his band Scaredycats.
Here's a clip from their debut album Dumb Animals.
I love it :)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 11:29:15 am »
My pimped guitar 3)

Chris Goldring and Eithne Costello-

Two of our best friends in West Kirby.
Chris is a guitar enthusiast and not small influence on me taking up the guitar in the first place. It was he, who recommended Justin’s site to me over a year ago  :)
He was part of our collaboration team for the Christmas competition (The Last Snowflake). I really enjoyed talking songs and messing around on the guitar with both of them.

Here’s a clip of Chris playing at an old school band reunion in a local hall. (apologies for poor sound quality from my camera). He’s playing the black Ibanez Gio, which he has since ‘gifted/lent’ to the Larsen guitar project.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:10:28 pm by brianlarsen »

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 11:43:45 am »
My pimped guitar 4)

Tommy Emmanuel

I never heard of the guy until I visited this site, but his name kept popping up with only praise for his playing and entertainment qualities.

When I saw he was playing in Manchester recently, I decided to not only go see the show, but pay the extra £25 for a meet & greet, so he could sign my guitar. I even wrote a short ditty, which I played for him. (Even I was embarrassed!)

Still, an immensely enjoyable experience; and although the actual music that he played would not be what I would listen to for pleasure, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

For those who are unfamiliar with his playing here’s an entertaining TED talk he gave:

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 12:02:57 pm »
My pimped guitar 5)

JD Simo from Nashville supported Tommy Emmanuel at the above gig.
He was just amazing and blew me away.

I grabbed my guitar and blagged my way backstage after the show to get him to sign it

I gather he finishes all his shows ‘With a Little Help from my Friends”  :)
Here’s a taster:

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 08:42:34 am »
My pimped guitar 6)

Johnny Dowd

I came across this guy nearly two decades ago when I was going through my ‘alt-country’ phase and I’ve been fascinated by him ever since.

I had the pleasure of seeing him play 81 Renshaw Street in April. It was in a tiny room above a record shop in Liverpool and there couldn’t have been more than 30 punters in the room.
Most people I know regard this as low-fi, dissonant rubbish, but to me he is genius and radiates authenticity.

Here’s a clip from a street performance. I would die to play guitar like this

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 09:15:08 am »
My pimped guitar 7)

Mike Edmondson

Johnny Dowd’s right-hand touring man for the last number of years. (see above)

Here he is with guitar, singing backing vocals to Anna Coogan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App