Author Topic: Looper pedal with Boss Katana 50  (Read 1346 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Looper pedal with Boss Katana 50
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 09:08:41 pm »
Congrats on the (imminent new pedal day sair.
Power lead is about 1 metre long.

Should I be buying a powered pedal board
You do have to be careful with power, as the Trio+ does pull quite a lot of current.
@ Keith ...
I wondered a similar thing.
Whether to affix my trio+ to a board along with my multi-fx.
At the moment I have two: a Digitech Element and a Mooer GE100. I haven't decided which one of these to keep (probably the Mooer as it has expression pedal) or indeed whether to sell and buy another Zoom G3X.
Either way it would just be two alongside each other with:

guitar in to Trio+
Trio+ out to i] multi-fx ii] small amp for bass / drums dry iii] guitar amp post fx

At the moment I have both with their own power supply plus all the cables etc. It's a bit messy to set up / take down each time.
Would a powered board work with just the trio+ and a multi-fx?
It could be left all connected with patch leads etc and only require a simple set up / take down each time.
If so - any recommends?

Sorry for mini thread hijack.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 10:17:35 pm »
Congrats on the (imminent new pedal day sair.

Indeed, you won't regret it!

I wondered a similar thing.
Whether to affix my trio+ to a board along with my multi-fx.
At the moment I have two: a Digitech Element and a Mooer GE100. I haven't decided which one of these to keep (probably the Mooer as it has expression pedal) or indeed whether to sell and buy another Zoom G3X.

I can't give any recommendations on which multi-fx unit sounds best or gives you the best capabilities as I've not used any of them.

My first thought was to look at the power. The great thing is all of the pedals use 9V, which is the main standard for pedal power.

The Digitech Trio+ consumes a hefty 1.3A
Digitech Element uses 175mA
Mooer GE100 uses 300mA
Zoom G3X uses 500mA

Note that these are the manufacturer's figures and tend to be worst case, plus a bit of a margin. In practice they may consume less.

So, as far as the multifx units are concerned, you have a range from 175-500mA. That's probably not significant enough a difference to prefer one unit over another, unless you can only get a power supply that gives you 1.5A max.

Would a powered board work with just the trio+ and a multi-fx?
It could be left all connected with patch leads etc and only require a simple set up / take down each time.
If so - any recommends?

Yes, it would work.

FYI, the small board I have now just has a tuner, the Trio+ and an expression pedal (oh, and a wireless system, which is a total indulgence, but I can, so I have). I've wired this so that my Katana 100 can easily be connected to this via the amp in and FX loop such that the pre-amp and FX of the Katana are placed in the FX loop of the Trio+. This has two benefits:

1. I can use the onboard amp modelling and FX on the Katana as I want, and it will record them on the Trio+ looper correctly
2. The drum and bass bypass the Katana preamp and FX and so don't sound crappy.

This is a variation on the previous iteration with the RC-3 looper that I have posted about.

So, whilst I can't help with the choice of multifx unit, I can make some recommendations.

RECOMMENDATION 1:

Wire whichever multifx unit you chose through the Trio+ effect loop.

So:
Guitar straight into Trio+
Trio+ amp out to guitar amp
Trio+ FX send to multifx input
Multifx output to Trio+ FX return
(Optional, Trio+ mixer out to small amp

If your guitar amp has an FX loop, you can also include both the multifx unit and the guitar amp front-end in the Trio+ FX loop.

(You may already be doing all or some of this, I wasn't clear from your description.)

By the way, I have plans to build a bigger pedalboard which will incorporate my old RC-3 looper, along with a Boss MS-3 and some other stuff to make a Stereo capable pedalboard with looper that will work with either guitar or bass.

The Boss MS-3 is an interesting (if quite expensive) multi-fx unit, as it's one that's designed to be pedalboard friendly. It has both guitar and amp FX, but it has no amp or speaker modelling as it's designed to be connected to a real amp. It also has some physical loops so you can connect in and control your own external pedals with it, if you have, for instance, a boutique drive pedal you want to use.

If and when I build it I'll post about it.

RECOMMENDATION 2:

Don't get a  pedalboard with a built in power supply. It will restrict your choice, and the built in ones tend to be a bit rubbish. A separate power unit will appear to be more expensive, but they tend to be better, and offer more options such as isolation and higher current output, which you should have with pedals like the Trio+ and multifx pedals.

Basically, digital pedals tend to create a lot of noise on the power supply, which can impact other pedals connected to the same power unit. Isolated outputs prevents this, as well as reducing the impact of mains hum.

RECOMMENDATION 3:

Shop around for pedal boards after you've laid out and measured the pedals you are going to use. Don't forget to allow for cabling/connectors between pedals. Pedaltrain are the most common boards out there, but there are some really nice ones from other manufacturers which are worth considering.

My board is based on the Temple Audio pedalboard (as is the bigger pedalboard I designed and built for a friend) which IMO is far superior to the normal approach using sticky velcro to mount the pedals. The Temple board has screw in plates which you mount to the bottom of the pedals which makes them rock-solid when installed, and easy to remove by unscrewing a screw under the board. They are relatively expensive and require careful planning to get right, so I'm stopping short on an outright recommendation.

If you go the velcro route, The Gig Rig sells hook-and-loop "pedalboard tape" which is far superior to the velcro included with most pedalboard, and isn't that expensive.

RECOMMENDATION 4:

Think carefully about patch cabling and connectors.

The patch cables you use can heavily influence your pedalboard design. Some patch cables have quite deep plugs which will mean you need to space your pedals apart more, which isn't bad in itself, but you need to factor this into your layout and may influence what size board you get. You can get patch cables with "pancake" connectors, but these can sometime foul on each other when plugging into adjacent sockets on a pedal.

On my board, I used the Evidence Audio cabling kit which allows you to make up your own patch cables. The cables themselves are thin and stiff, but easily bent into shape, so they are great for routing around a pedalboard. They are, however, expensive.

It's worth getting some cable ties and sticky pads to tidy and secure the cables. This is what the bottom of the pedalboard I designed and built for my friend looks like.

Sorry for the long response. I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:14:58 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:58 am »
I've specifically kept my trio OFF the pedalboard as I think the main controls work better at hand height. I've got the optional foot pedal so use that to kick things off, stop things etc. Then again I'm only using the trio at home so that makes it easier. It definitely needs it's own powerbrick given the current draw.

I feed guitar into the trio and then have the pedalboard in the fx loop which seems to work well.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 10:56:51 am »
@ Keith
I asked as I remembered you had recently done some extensive / creative pedal build work.
Your response was more than I bargained for - never apologise for sharing the extent of your knowledge.
Good vibes in abundance my friend!
:)

@ Rossco
I considered the optional foot pedal as you do need to tweak things by hand but I also like to 'stomp' ... your comment has given me food for further thought.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 08:31:04 am »
@Close foot pedal definitely the way to go. You can reset parts, reset loops, "arm" for learning etc. start/stop parts all from the footpedal. Then you just using the box to select styles, adjust tempo, save parts etc.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 09:17:15 am »
Hi Guys
Trio+ all hooked up! Bit of a learning curve ahead, but I’m keeping it dead simple just now. I’ve created a ‘band’ backing for a basic chord progression A, Cm, G, Bm and I’m playing along to that. Much more fun than chord practice alone or with a metronome.
I’ve been neglecting my metronome practice as I find it boring, but this has made me realise my timing/tempo needs work, so the Trio has already had an impact on my practice routine! Looking forward to much more in the coming months.

Thanks again all for the advice and support guys. This forum really is the best!

Martin D28 Reimagined:Gibson SG Standard:Boss Katana 50:Digitech Trio+.
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. May 2019 consolidating and starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop 1968-72. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar or the years went!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 428
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 11:04:50 am »
So glad to hear that it is already working for you ... great stuff.
 :)

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 07:16:03 pm »
Glaringly obvious, but I’d never thought of it. My accoustic guitar does not have electrics but I can create ‘band’ backings on the Trio+ with my electric guitar and then play along with the accoustic!
Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else, but as an fx pedal newbie, the possibilities of this thing are amazing.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop 1968-72. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar or the years went!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 11:24:54 am »
Good to hear its working for you sairfingers... also worth pointing out the ability to create "proper" backing tracks for songs using the song function. You can create up to five parts and can the programme and repeat them in any order to build your full song. Definitely worth looking at this part if you like playing real songs.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »
You can create up to five parts and can the programme and repeat them in any order to build your full song. Definitely worth looking at this part if you like playing real songs.
Yes, I’m trying to work out this function. I started by playing a whole song, intro a couple of verses, a chorus etc but it all got too complicated and I lost my place. I’m realise I should have been splitting it up using the sequence facility. A big learning curve but great fun!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 03:38:05 pm »
Yep only need to record parts once and then use the song part to build the song.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 09:12:01 pm »
For those interested, I’ve started a Digitech Trio+ thread under the topic ‘Digitech Trio+ Some advice please’.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App