Author Topic: Looper pedal with Boss Katana 50  (Read 5468 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Looper pedal with Boss Katana 50
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Good work and good vibes to Keith.

:)

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 04:34:30 pm »
Thank you so much for your time with this Keith, I really do appreciate it. The fact you and Close recommend the Trio+ knowing the loop limitations of my K50 is very reassuring.

I’ve watched several ‘how to’ and review videos today and it gets great comments and reviews from everyone. Although they all used with amp with an fx loop of course.

The Trio+ is top of my shortlist now!
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 08:09:50 pm »
I’ve watched several ‘how to’ and review videos today and it gets great comments and reviews from everyone. Although they all used with amp with an fx loop of course.
A couple of vids I watched (I watched a lot before buying) were:

JustNick has a pedal board attached ...

Whereas Henning sets it up in several different ways including straight in to an amp ...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 07:23:47 am »
4 ideas for how you can use it ...

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 08:09:29 am »
Thanks for the links close. All interesting stuff.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 02:37:25 pm »
Whereas Henning sets it up in several different ways including straight in to an amp ...

At about 45:13 is where he demonstrate the onboard effects which is what you would need to use if plugging it into the front of a K50 or similar. Remember, you probably won't be able to usefully use any of the Katana's onboard FX (other than reverb).

https://youtu.be/k0VXRK2JGkQ?t=2713

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:00 pm »
Thanks Keith. Yes, from about 45min to 55min he demonstrates what effects can be achieved using an amp with no fx loop. Pretty good I think and probably as much as I could cope with anyway. I think it could be a terrific practice tool as shown in video close posted. (If I could be as good as the guy in the video.....money well spent!) This device may be for me!

Amazon has it for £164.93 post free with prime. Not cheap, but I think I could get my money’s worth of fun out of that!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Gordon

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 11:06:44 pm »
Thought I’d bring you guys up to date.
I haven’t bought a looper yet but I’ve been watching Justin’s video tutorial on looper pedals and to be honest it’s put me off somewhat. He’s so expert at it and in the tutorial he builds up layers that sound fantastic. He then solos over them, again sounding fantastic.
The reality is I’d be struggling to get maybe two loops that were good enough to use over and over. Assuming I could get the start stop timing right. And my soloing abilities are non existent at the moment.
I think the difference is when you watch him teaching a chord or strumming pattern or whatever, you think yes, with a bit of practise I can do this.

I suppose I’m just scared I put myself off by having to listen to my loops! I know I can’t expect success right away, but there is just so much to practise with guitar that you can spread yourself too thin and not improve at any of it.
As you can no doubt tell, I’m going through a bit of a guitar ‘crisis’ at the moment!

Anyway, I’ve got the builders coming tomorrow with a JCB to knock down my conservatory in preparation for building a new extension out the back of the house. With all that going on in the next month or two I’ll need my guitar to keep me sane!

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 01:40:23 am »
sairfingers
I think your going at think way to fast.
You're consolidating the beginner course, trying to keep up with Tammy and Lee
trying to figure out if you need a looper and now putting an addition on your house.

I think you should deside what you need to learn and learn it.
Trying to learn everything at once isn't going to happen.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 03:42:54 pm »
Sairfingers

You may find that the Trio+ is actually more useful to you than a basic looper (although will cost more) at your current level. I have the Trio plus and it's great for a couple of things:-

1. Recording chord progressions (with drum and bass) and then soloing over them. If you're looking to do some of the blues rhythm and lead lessons then it's a great tool for that. Your not creating multiple loops in these circumstances (though you could if you want to). Simply recording a simple chord progression and then solo'ing over it.

2. Building songs. The Trio plus allows you to build song parts - up to 5 - and then put these into a song which effectively means playing these parts in whatever order you want and as many times as you want. Its a great way to build backing tracks which are quite effective. Obviously you could - using the looper - also record the rhythm track as well - and then solo over the whole song at the right points.

I'd look at the Trio+ as a song tool with built in looper. Personally I sold my looper once I'd bought my Trio+ and have used the Trio+ far more than I ever did the looper.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 04:12:10 pm »
You may find that the Trio+ is actually more useful to you than a basic looper (although will cost more) at your current level.

I'd look at the Trio+ as a song tool with built in looper. Personally I sold my looper once I'd bought my Trio+ and have used the Trio+ far more than I ever did the looper.
Thanks for that Rossco. Yes, when I buy a pedal it’s going to be a trio+. It looks a very versatile tool. I’m just not sure that my skill level is high enough yet!

Trying to learn everything at once isn't going to happen.
Hi stitch. You’re absolutely right of course. I’m just so determined to become half decent at guitar. Patience and practice. Easy to say, hard to do!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 509
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »
The Trio+ does away with the need to stomp on the pedal at exactly the right moment ... once the drum & bass part is playing through its progression you 'arm' the looper and it automatically starts to record what you play as soon as the progression starts up again.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
Sairfingers your skill level doesnt need to be high with Trio+ if you can strum some chords you can use it (even without the looping bit). It comes into it's own once you start to progress....I was doing some work with my teacher this week on learning to play a melody line for a song and then soloing between sections of the song. At the end he offered to send to over a backing track.....but no need really as I can build it all on the Trio using my own playing. I used it a lot when building chord progressions and practicing solo's over it.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnb

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:00 pm »
Hi Guys
I’ve ordered a Trio+ from Amazon post free. £40 cheaper than the local guitar shop. I like to support local shops but there is a limit. I asked for a price match but they said no way.
My Trio+ should arrive tomorrow but I won’t be able to get going immediately as I don’t have the cables. I’ll wait until it arrives and then work out what I need as I don’t have the luxury of a dedicated ‘guitar’ room and I don’t know how long the power cable will be so I’m not sure about my layout.

Watch this space.......

Should I be buying a powered pedal board for future additions? Ooohhh the possibilities!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2019, 07:49:28 pm »
Should I be buying a powered pedal board for future additions? Ooohhh the possibilities!

I have actually moved my Trio+ onto my small pedal board in place of the RC-3 and FS-7 I had there originally.

You do have to be careful with power, as the Trio+ does pull quite a lot of current.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App