Author Topic: A-shaped minor barre chords  (Read 428 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
A-shaped minor barre chords
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:33:44 pm »
In Tammy's lesson 4, Justin mentions a number of times not to play the high E string with A-shaped major chords. Do you want it to sound with E shaped minor chords with a 5th string root note?
I can't recall where this lesson was initially taught  ::)
Really enjoying the series- I can just about keep up with them, but feel will be left behind soon  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:32:31 pm by brianlarsen »

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
Re: 5th String E-shaped minor barre chords
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:34 pm »
I think you mean A shaped minor chords? By definition E shaped has its root on the 6th string.

Have not watched the video, but I can think of a few situations where I would want the high E to sound, e.g. when playing the chord arpeggiated. With major A-barres it is actually rather hard to make the high E ring out, it's easier with minor A-barres. When strumming on the other hand, it is quite common not to play all the strings because it would drown out the voice/other instruments.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: 5th String E-shaped minor barre chords
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:25:22 pm »
Justin specifically talks about the A-shape 5th-string root major chord with a barre formed by the 3rd finger.
And in this instance he makes mention of the fact that it is difficult to get the high e-string note to ring out clean, so not to worry too much about it.
He suggests that the 3rd finger barre is a more practical way of forming such chords than a full barre with 1st finger and fingers 2, 3, and 4 jamming in together at the same fret as you would jam 3 fingers in together for an open A Major chord.
If you can get the high e-string note to ring out then fantastic - play it (or not if you choose not to).

You can also barre those 3 notes with little finger.
And again you don't need to worry about the high e-string note.

For A-shape 5th-string root minor chords, the fingering and way of playing is different, a whole 5-fret barre with 1st finger is very easy to achieve and you can / should look to play the note on the high e-string. But you do not have to.

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
Re: A-shaped minor barre chords
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:45:40 pm »
I think you mean A shaped minor chords? By definition E shaped has its root on the 6th string.
Doh!
Indeed I did- which is also why I was unable to find the relevant lesson.
He mentions in all the lessons and text how the A minor has the same shape as The E.
I must be paying too much attention  ;)
I changed the Subject heading so as not to confuse others more than necessary.
If you can get the high e-string note to ring out then fantastic - play it (or not if you choose not to).
Thanks Richard, I'll take it that it's personal preference then?
Justin says ypu should almost always mute the high E with the A major barre, but I could not find any reference to the A minor barre.
Is it the same principle: play it if you like the sound?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:23 pm »
Brian

If you are playing any shape barre with a 5th string root, mute the E string. There may be some circumstances when you may add a slash note to that barre, eg fret the E with your thumb but generally mute.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:12:22 am »
Thanks Richard, I'll take it that it's personal preference then?
Justin says ypu should almost always mute the high E with the A major barre, but I could not find any reference to the A minor barre.
Is it the same principle: play it if you like the sound?

I don't know why Justin said 'should'.
In my view that is too strong a word.
In general, I would say aim to play the note on the high e-string for the minor chords.
Even for the major chords.
Though playing those high e-string notes is a bit more difficult with the major chords.
Just be aware you do not have to.

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:07 am »
@ Toby
I don't think I expressed myself very well that I am talking about muting the high e (1st) string, not the 6th string E.
Thanks for the input though.

Thanks Richard,
Perhaps it's Justin's personal preference?

This is from his A Major barre lesson page:
"...most of the time the chord sounds better without the note on the thinnest string sounding at all! ...A good thing to be able to do, but not particularly useful (for me, I can but very rarely do!)."

and he repeats similar in Tammy's most recent lesson (4).

I was curious whether he felt the same way about the high e with A-shaped minor barre.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 03:03:49 pm »
That high E can be a bit shrill/harsh sometimes. Most of the time I try to avoid it on a capo'd open D chord, I don't even fret the string. That's why Fmaj7 is more pleasant than F major 99% of the time. Just let my ears be your guide, but your ears will probably do in a pinch. :)

EDIT: Hey, that was my 1000th post! I can't believe I haven't been run off yet...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:36 pm »
Times you would want the high e-string note ...

When you like the sound of it.
When you're playing arpeggiated patterns.
When you're playing partial chords / triads / inversions on the top three or four strings only.
When you're playing clean.

Times you might not want it.
When you don't like the sound of it.
When you're playing more bassy / mid-range tones.
When you're playing dirty / distorted.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:51:50 pm by close2u »

Online Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:07 pm »
Hey Brian

I aim to play it on the a minor barre. That's what you're asking right and I don't remember Justin ever saying not to anywhere. Why would you? Unless you don't like it of course. You mute it on the major shape because it's hard to play it with the ring finger barre and you don't miss it. But on the minor grip it's easy to play so unless you really hate it then play it.

G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App