Author Topic: 2019 Cover #18 (Brown Eyed Girl)  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #18 (Brown Eyed Girl)
« on: May 14, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »
Oh no not this song again you might think... To make it more challenging I play it with bar chords only. Bar chords are not as clean as I would like, but I am happy I could play this one all the way through with bar chords only. I mainly see this one as bar chord practice with some singing. Vocals I think works pretty good, gets better and better.

I have practiced the intro also but couldn't play it up to speed, so I skipped it. Next time maybe.

https://youtu.be/l-pIP1p19LY
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #18 (Brown Eyed Girl)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:45:33 pm »
Wow, how was your hand after that work out, Johan.

I think you kept a good steady rhythm and the barre chords were pretty good. Maybe that jump to Em not quite as smooth and clean as the rest. 

I noticed you also skipped that build with the pumping eights on the do you remember when before the sha la las. I should also go back and practice that, I find it tricky.

I'd say the vocals need a little more work to smooth out the phrasing and timing. I find that listening to Van Morrison I figure jt shouldn't be too hard to sing this one and then it turns out to be quite tricky.

That said, good job on taking on the challenge of playing it the way you did.

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 54
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:40:06 pm »
Great practice indeed Johan.  Your left hand position is textbook (same can’t be said for my own). I think I see you supporting the ring finger with your pinky on the A shaped chords? Good plan, I used to do the same until I got my left hand strong enough. Keep up the barre chord work and pretty soon you’ll be able to play every song that there ever was  ;D A really good rendition I think.
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:11:15 pm »
Thanks David and B1rdland.

David: Yeah hand was pretty sore after recording this, I think I also did 4 or 5 failed attempts where I either made the wrong chord change or sang the wrong lyrics, so it was a long period just playing bar chords.

I could not do the pumping eights, very tricky, I can't move my hand that fast. Works in slower songs but not this one. Need more work.

I am happy with the vocals here, but its not as smooth as Van Morrison for sure. Need to listen even more to the original. I think I play it a bit slower than the original, so may need to raise the tempo a bit also, even if it works well in this tempo.

B1rdland: Glad you liked it and thanks for the nice words about bar chord technique, good to know my technique is not bad/wrong. I havent really noticed that I support the ring finger with my pinky, but it seems like I do that. Thanks for pointing that out. It's not intentional. I'll keep working with the barre chords for sure. Still a long term plan to get them down, but its getting easier, like 6 months ago I  would not have been able to do this video. 
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:26:03 pm »
Johan, Yea for No. 18.   This is definitely a barre chord practice song.  You did a good job with the chords.  I agree with David that some of the phrasing could be smoothed out a bit, but this is not an easy song to sing - or play.  Morrison has some interesting phrasing in most of his songs.  But overall a good piece and, considering you are pumping out one a week, well done.!

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:27 am »
... and the train keeps rolling on!

I'm spending about half my guitar practice now working on barre chords, so this is very impressive in my books.
Decent singing too.  :)

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »
Johan,

when one wants to discuss "classic" songs, this one by the great van Morrison has to be right near the top. It's one that I find myself playing on a fairly regular basis. Vocal phrasing on this can be tricky. I thought you did a pretty good job. Kudos to you for playing it with barre chords! Nice one.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:14:05 am »
Thanks Dave, Brian and Hilts.

Brian: Bar chords is a pain and takes tons of practice, but just hang in there and you will get stronger and more accurate.

Guitar is at the guitar tech for a setup, so may take a while before I can record the next cover  >:( Guess thats why you should have more than one guitar  :)

Next up I will have an attempt at a power chord classic from the early 90's. Gonna try to use som muting and also to mix up the strumming a bit. We will see how that works.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 02:26:52 am »
Guitar is at the guitar tech for a setup, so may take a while before I can record the next cover  >:( Guess thats why you should have more than one guitar  :)

Ha ha Johan, that's a classic.

Really impressive progress and a whole song of barre chords! You've inspired me to stop whinging about how bad my barre chords and and so some regular practise.

Better go and buy yourself another guitar hey  ;D
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline roulbac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 06:22:21 pm »
Really enjoyed listening to this, rich warm tone on the guitar and sweet vocals!

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 09:43:11 am »
Thanks Maggie and roulbac.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App