Author Topic: Pedals that simulate alternate tunings?  (Read 232 times)

Offline flux1968

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Pedals that simulate alternate tunings?
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:30:14 pm »
I practice mostly in standard tuning, but there are those few songs in alternate tunings, and I don't want to keep re-tuning my guitar.  Are there pedals that will simulate those tunings? I did a little research and it looks like the Digitech Drop might do this. Are there other pedals that are better and/or cheaper?

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
Re: Pedals that simulate alternate tunings?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 05:47:41 pm »
I've not used one of these pedals, but there's at least 2 "gotchas" I can think of.

The first is that these pedals are going to be limited to dropping the tuning of all of the strings by the same amount. This means they won't work for common tunings like Drop D/C or DAGDAD where individual strings are detuned by different amounts.

Of course, for (e.g.) drop C you can manually tune just one string and use the pedal for the rest.

The other is that, unless your amp is quite loud, or you are wearing headphones, you will still hear the original notes acoustically from your strings, which might be off-putting.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline flux1968

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:08:25 pm »
I hear you regarding the limitations of a pedal.

As for the sound, I fully intend to use headphones.

Thanks.

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 08:07:57 pm »
This is probably useless info for your actual problem - but perhaps of interest anyway. Line6 has a guitar on the marked called a "Variax", and when used with their software (for example Helix) they offer you exactly what you want. The possibility of "retuning" the instrument with the touch of a button. Great if you were to play small live gigs where you need many different tunings.

But anyway, since I'm going to assume you'll want to use the guitar you actually have.... :)

When you say "alternate tunings" do you mean something like drop-D, or that the guitar is tuned half a step down to Eb for example?

Because back when I only had one guitar I would sometimes go the opposite way - when practicing such songs, for example Guns'N'Roses, I would put the mp3 into a program called Transcribe and tune the song up half a tone. Axl would sound even more shrill, but I could practice my Slash licks without having to retune :)

Offline flux1968

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:21:12 pm »
When you say "alternate tunings" do you mean something like drop-D, or that the guitar is tuned half a step down to Eb for example?

Guitar tuned down half step or more.

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:52:33 pm »
Maybe you could tune down and put a capo on for standard tuning.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 08:26:04 am »
I don't know about a pedal but there's a guitar that does it ... the Fender VG Stratocaster.
And I'm sure that the Roland tech built-in to the VG was (and maybe is) still available as a separate piece of kit that you can attach to your guitar. If I recall correctly, it is what Andrew Wasson (youtube teacher) has on his Strat.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:43:31 pm »
First thing I though of was a capo that can capo on string level.
It will not cover all your needs but it's cheap

https://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/EUR/Spider-Capo-Spider-Capodaster-passend-voor-E-W-gitaar/art-GIT0019211-000

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:42:51 am »
The Digitech Drop currently is the only pedal that does pretty much exactly what you want (without ruining your sound or introducing painful amounts of latency), the only other pedal that gets close and doesn't ruin your tone entirely is the EHX Pitch Fork, but it's not as simple or straight forward, nor is it exactly meant for the use you have in mind... and it's tonal qualities, like the similarly sounding EHX POG pedal, aren't the greatest for distorted sounds.
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:11:11 am »
The Digitech Drop

I wrote a review on the Drop a while ago for EffectsDatabase
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/reviews/digitech/drop

I think it still is the best "detuner" I came across so far but bear in mind; it detunes all strings with the same modification; creating alternate tunings with a pedal is quite impossible
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:50:10 am »
Does depend on what one means with 'alternate tunings', since it is a rather broad term.
A rather standard Eb tuning is technically an alternate tuning.

But you do make a valid point; hell, I can't even do digital per-string re-tuning with my new Axe-FX 3, at best I can pitch shift all strings up or down in a similar way to the Digitech pedal (but not as good, and xx--xx me, that LATENCY!)
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things"
--Henry Rollins

Get The Forum As A Mobile App