Author Topic: Bone head move on my part ...  (Read 1066 times)

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Bone head move on my part ...
« on: May 07, 2019, 02:40:51 am »
OK, so I was moving my amp this morning before running out the for to work and forgot that I still had my Fender guitar pulled into.  While it was in its stand, it ended up falling onto the tile floor in my kitchen, face down.  Anything I should be looking for in the way of damage, physical and performance wise?
I cringe to closely inspect it, but going to take look now. 
Idiot. (meaning me)

Assessment made and it's not good -
Yeah, I pretty much ef'd it up.  First strum and I can tell every string is off, especially high e - it was flapping.  I thought maybe it just came off the nut.  But nope.  Half the tuning machine for it is no long attached to the head stock. Every string is totally wacked out and does not sound right.  I am sick over this.  Guess I will have to take it somewhere tomorrow and have the damages assessed.   :'(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:25:03 am by 1stGuitar »

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
Re: Bone head move on my part ...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 05:40:31 am »
Damn, sorry to hear that, mate.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 05:49:50 am »
Hi 1stGuitar

Hope the damage is not too bad. As someone that tends to be quite absent minded I have my fair share of bone-head moments.

The lyrics of the song Human by ragn bone man is some consolation:

"I'm only human
I make mistakes
I'm only human 
That's all it takes

I'm only human after all"

Hope the jing/jang of nature brings you some good luck soon.

Happy guitaring.

Cheers
Barend

I'm only human
I make mistakes
I'm only human 
That's all it takes

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:24:36 am »

Assessment made and it's not good -
Yeah, I pretty much ef'd it up. 

Dayum.  :o   :'(   Get it to hospital. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and that includes you 1stGuitar.

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:37:51 pm »
Don’r beat yourself up. xx--xx happens. I’ve dumped a guitar on the floor before myself. In the grand scheme of things it’s very small.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:26:26 am »
Guys - Thanks for the words of wisdom and support.  Much appreciated.

But Phew!  I think I bit the bullet on this one.  I was going to bring my guitar back the Music shop where I bought as I have been doing business with them (trying to keep the smaller shops going) but that was in the opposite direction of where I work.  So I remembered hearing a lot (and here comes the shout out  ;) ) about this guy Chris that owns a very small guitar shop about 10 minutes from where I work called "Be Sharp Guitars".  Chris has apparently a good reputation in the area from doing sterling high quality work.

So I go the shop and it is a small store front with I guy in the back that does amp repairs and custom amp builds, a music room for lessons and Chris in the front doing string instrument repairs and custom builds.  I walk in and tell him my sad story and he says, "OK let's see what you have".  He starts to tinker with it, replaces a few tuning machine screws, puts some tools on it and does measurements on the neck, etc. pulls the connector out where the amp wire plugs and puts a lock washer on it so it will no longer get loose, does a tune up on the guitar and says, "You got lucky.  I don't see any cracks on the head stock and the neck is still tight and staight.  You should be OK".  Oh yeah, he also dyed a small chip that I had on the body so it would blend in and told me to bring it back when I can leave for a few weeks so he can work up the lacquer a layer at a time and blend and buff it in to match.  35 minutes later I say thanks, what do I owe you.  Chris says, "Don't worry about it. What a few screws and a washer and some of my time? No charge". 

I was blown away and threw him a 20 dollar bill and thanked him. I felt I was still way head of the game. The guy could not have been nicer.  He turned what could have been a pretty rough situation into a pretty cool day. 

Thankfully I am back on the beam and playing/practicing already tonight!

Thanks again guys for the support.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 174
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:54:51 am »
Funny how things in life work out.  8) Having a guitar tech you can trust
makes life so much better. Happy to hear everything turned out with no
major damage and you made a good connection with Chris.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:13:51 am »
That's great news! And having a good guitar tech/repair guy that you're friendly with is just gold.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:40:55 am »
Something very good has come out of it all. Now go enjoy your gitar!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:30 am »
Guys like that guitar tech are priceless. :)

Offline KeepingAwake

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 02:04:12 pm »
That's great news! And I think you just found yourself a guitar tech worth his weight in gold!

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:13 am »
Thanks all.  I do think you all are the mark too.  Chris seems like a real gem.  Everything that I heard about him was on the money.  A good and honest guitar tech is indeed like gold. I happy I seem to have one.

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 5
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:56:44 pm »
Glad you got things sorted out. Have you bought that new acoustic yet? If so, what did you buy in the end?
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard.
Boss Katana 50 : Digitech Trio+ & FS3X.
Arrived Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM & Fingerstyle. Played a Framus archtop accoustic as a teenager in the late 60’s, then life got in the way for 50 years.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 03:59:46 am »
Glad you got things sorted out. Have you bought that new acoustic yet? If so, what did you buy in the end?

You know ...  I really do all the good folks over there in the Acoustic thread an update. This community really has been pretty cool.  Never thought I would be this into it. 
I did buy something last Saturday (5/4) at my local shop after making several calls during the week to places that ship free (and no tax) and taking a 1/2 off at work to just go and play guitars.  I came within a hair of getting the Seagull S6 Original ... but at the last second sort stumbled onto a sweet deal (will explain it on the other thread tomorrow with a picture) on the Taylor Academy 12e.  Ended paying $19 more for the Taylor then the Seagull was going to cost me (both new) and as a fairly newbie I do like the size of the Grand Concert body and the beveled edge is pretty comfortable.  But I will have a Seagull S6 Original one day.  I have already been looking at a few used.  That is big guitar, pretty sweet. 

I already have people in my house asking me how many guitars do I need.  I don't think they understand that is not really a matter of how many I need ... I is more about how many do I want  ;D  (or can afford)  ::)

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 08:24:18 am »
I already have people in my house asking me how many guitars do I need.  I don't think they understand that is not really a matter of how many I need ... I is more about how many do I want  ;D  (or can afford)  ::)

There is a formula for the optimum number of guitars;

N = G+1 where G is the number of guitars already in your possession.

Good luck on your guitar journey, and remember to enjoy it or there isn't any point!

(And good vibes for sharing your story with us).
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Get The Forum As A Mobile App