Author Topic: All hail the fine weather: Some funky blues  (Read 916 times)

Offline sunjamrblues

All hail the fine weather: Some funky blues
« on: May 06, 2019, 12:14:33 am »
As a new member, it was not readily apparent how to post my submission for the "All hail the fine weather" competition.  Is it a "New Topic"?  When I clicked on "Enter Here" I just got to a post that said "test".  So I'll try this and see what happens.

I've been spending several weeks going through Justin's Funk Module multiple times to try to absorb as much as I could.  In this post, you will hear several different funk rhythms he explains, and I have used all of the funk chords he demonstrated.  I just took a 12-bar blues pattern and funkified it as much as i could.  I recorded this using Logic Pro, and the drum track is a built-in drum track (which I hope is acceptable). I am only a novice bass player, so I just played some simple bass lines first.  Then I recorded some funk rhythms played fingerstyle, which seemed to work OK.  I am also a novice blues harp player, so I added that as an interlude.  Then I played some more funk rhythms using a pick.  And finally, I played some rather lame improv - just whatever came into my head - at the end.  The video was made using Final Cut Pro, and I'm no expert at that either, but I'm getting better as time goes on.  I'm not sure if I can just copy and paste the Youtube link, but here goes:

https://youtu.be/WWTlO0AJFJM

Offline oldhead49

Re: All hail the fine weather: Some funky blues
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 04:40:16 am »
Hi, Sunjamblues.  Welcome.  We don't hear a lot of funk around here.   I've got to say I thoroughly enjoyed your music.  I was waiting for you to let loose with some vocal.  ;)  Maybe next time?   Looks like you've been playing for a while considering the guitars I saw in the video?  BTW, the video was fun to watch, too.
Looking forward to you posting more.  That was fun to listen to and watch!!

Offline b1rdland

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 01:08:28 pm »
Hi Sunjamrblues, I really enjoyed that! The vid is great, lovely tones from the bass and guitar. You've got lots of different techniques on show, all very well executed. I can see you've been playing for a while. Hey don't worry about using built in drum tracks, I use them all the time and nobody has ever complained, well they haven't complained about me using them, although sometimes the drums I choose aren't to everyones liking  ;D

Final Cut Pro? I may try that, I'm not too good with vid.

Thanks for posting.
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »
You're in the right place & doing it right.
Nice one sunjamr & welcome to the forum & competition.
:) :) :)

Offline batwoman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:47:37 am »
Welcome to the forum sunjamblues.  :)  A smooth production. Clearly you have lots of skills in playing guitars, recording, video editing. This melded together well, really nice to watch you play. Yeah, some singing now please  :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:43:17 pm »
Welcome, Sunjamr, that was most enjoyable.  I'm more a blues than funk man so your funkified blues went down real well.  The rhythms, harp and lead all sounded pretty good to me.  Wouldn't choose "lame" as an adjective to describe anything I saw and heard.

Nothing wrong with using the tools you have to produce your song, built-in drums in this case.

And excellent job on the video recording, editing and mixing.

I too am hoping you become a regular poster, over in the AVOYP area, where people post their general recordings, video or audio-only.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:29:50 pm »
Cool funky vibe you got going here and I like the harp big time!

Nice all the way around and welcome to the forum!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline max_mue

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:33:08 am »
Let there be funk!

Welcome to the forum sunjamr :)

All around a very nice entry, really diggin' the feel of it :) Having only my toes dipped in playing funk it's beyond me to offer any further feedback for now - it's a cool idea to incorporate many of things you've learned in the module! Nice editing by the way :)

I've already took a sneak peek to your other videos on your channels and I'm looking forward to other posts of you in the AVOYP-section :)

Offline pkboo3

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:52:44 pm »
Really nice, sunjamr. I liked the connection you gave to the viewer when you looked up with a friendly smile. All the music was great too. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline embishop

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:13:23 am »
Welcome to the forum Sunjamr, that's a great entrance with some fine guitar playing and video production! Really enjoyed all the different parts of the production.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline sunjamrblues

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 03:35:46 am »
Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.  I'm looking forward to hanging out with all of you pickers, and posting some more stuff, and - more importantly - hearing some your posts.  BUT I doubt if you'll hear much singing from me, since my singing skills are irreversibly bad....  My first love is blues guitar, both electric and acoustic, so I'm sure I'll be posting some of that.  I'm actually to the point where I'm thinking of creating an original acoustic blues song, and winter is coming here in New Zealand, so maybe I'll be stuck inside long enough to make it happen.

Offline Fourtwo

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of support here. Kudos for recording your efforts on video - brave man! An entertaining jam that shows off your playing abilities.
Nice job.
Neil

Offline john256

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 04:04:34 pm »
That was a pleasant listen and I enjoyed the video a lot. I'd love to hear how you pieced it all together and your setup as it's something I struggle to get my head around.

BTW is that a Blackstar unity bass amp, or something else? Only I am considering one.

Offline sunjamrblues

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:21 pm »
That was a pleasant listen and I enjoyed the video a lot. I'd love to hear how you pieced it all together and your setup as it's something I struggle to get my head around.

BTW is that a Blackstar unity bass amp, or something else? Only I am considering one.

A Blackstar bass amp is definitely on my wish list, but that is a regular Blackstar 15W tube amp, and so far my bass has not blown the speakers.  Also, lately I'm starting to wonder why I even need an amp at all.  I never play in front of other people, so when I'm practicing or recording, the sound coming out of my studio monitors is pretty much as good as my amps.  Some of my friends are coming to the same conclusion.

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 10:59:44 pm »
For a 'novice at this' / 'no expert in that', this is a very slick, accomplished production   ;)

Funk looks more fun to play than to listen to (for me), but I really enjoyed this, esp with the video.

What an debut!
Vibes to you, pal  8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App