Author Topic: 2019 Cover #17 (Tender)  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #17 (Tender)
« on: May 05, 2019, 08:02:39 pm »
Fantastic song by Blur released in 1999. Fun one to play and the guitar works quite ok. Struggling with the vocals, its a tough one to sing. Some parts are just too high for me, don't have the technique to sing those notes. Results in pitch problems and jumping octaves etc. Having a cold does not help either. Sounds pretty bad but I did my best.

https://youtu.be/LNDwbOFNBJs
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #17 (Tender)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:53:59 pm »
Does sound like a good song, Johan, have to confess that while I have heard of Blur, I've never listened to them.

I think you've done a pretty reasonable job of this.  Yup, I can hear some challenges in the singing.  I think maybe a couple of the chord changes also not quite on auto-pilot yet.  But still, a performance that I can watch without getting distracted by the odd flaw.

If you really enjoy the song then maybe one to keep on working to polish it up and record again in a couple of months.

Congrats on continued progress and improvement.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:57:57 am »
Thanks for input David. I like this one and see it as a song for a future repertiore. It need much more work though. Mainly it's the singing causing problems. But some chord changes also need more work. It could also be a combination, since I need to focus hard on the singing, the playing suffers.

I am not all disappointed though. Its the first song where I have incorporated some single note playing. Its not good but its a start. Also it has changes from open chords to bar chords which I manage without to much problem (not good but it works). I also think some part of the singing is ok, but the song has quite a range which makes it really hard to sing.

I guess you can't avoid to have heard to Song2 by Blur (even if you may not know its Blur). It's a very talented band but a lot of their work may not appeal to everybody.  Tender is a belter of a tune though  :)
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:25:49 am »
One of my favourite Blur songs of those I know.
Good work Johan and keeping up the weekly challenge.
Kudos and good vibes.
:)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 06:44:25 am »
Thanks Richard! Almost 1/3 of the covers done now, so I am keeping up so far. Next up is a classic I guess all of us have played. I will try play it with bar chords only, lets see how that works and sounds.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Mikko1984

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:15:15 am »
Nice job! Your playing sounded relaxed and smooth all the way. Never heard that song before, sounds nice.  :)

-Mikko-

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:21:57 am »
Johan you're making such great progress. You've extended your vocal range and in the high bits you're on pitch. That's quite an achievement even with a cold. Then there's some lovely deep notes too. Your vocal is better than you think. I like your sound in this room very much. There's a natural reverb. And let's not forget how smoothly you fret and strum. There's an efficiency in your movements that come with lots of practice. You're doing great

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 11:58:47 am »
Thanks Mikko and Maggie! Glad you liked the playing.

Maggie: Thanks a lot for the feedback on the singing. Good to know that the high notes is not off. I also think some parts sounds fine, but in some parts I have trouble finding the right pitch. Mostly when coming down from a high note I think. But I know this is difficult and takes lots of practice, so I'll just keep on singing. Some more focused singing practice would help also, I have not done that very much.

Mikko: If you want, take a listen to the original. It is nice. https://youtu.be/SaHrqKKFnSA
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 12:20:16 pm »
Johan, I've heard of Blur but don't know ANY of their music. Having never heard Tender before, I have to say I like it. Your strumming is very good in this. Singing high notes is definitely a challenge. I've been practising a song lately that has quite high notes and man, It's a struggle. But I really like the song. Good job!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:48:03 pm »
Johan, taking a second listen as I type.  I really like your intro guitar on this.   Agree that some of the vocal seems a tad pushed, but, hey, doing one a week is no easy task.  I'm sure that given more time you could smooth that out.  Kudos to you for keeping up the challenge; not an easy challenge by any means.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
Thanks hilts and Dave!

hilts: I plan to do some more Blur songs during the year, I really like the band. We will see if you like them also. Glad you liked the strumming. It has been my weakest area, but starting to get more solid. About singing, yeah it's tough with these high notes. Just keep singing and it gets a little easier. Looking forward to hear the song you are working on.

Dave: Glad you liked the little intro. Not very complicated but sounds good. I missed a note or two I think, but it works ok anyway. The vocals is a work in progress.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App