Author Topic: Anyways by Arctic Monkeys (Cover)  (Read 343 times)

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
Anyways by Arctic Monkeys (Cover)
« on: April 29, 2019, 12:34:54 am »
Hi, I just got into recording. Here's one of an Arctic Monkeys song called Anyways. Didn't feel like doing the whole thing, so here's half of it. How can I improve musically, or with recording? Please tell me what you think! https://soundcloud.com/user-820579230-820810359/anyways2andahalf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:37:07 am by jtibbs97 »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
Re: Anyways by Arctic Monkeys (Cover)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:07 am »
Hi JT, there are others who knows heaps about recording, so I'll leave that to them to help you. For me, your voice is getting lost in the instrument tracks. It might be a matter of panning and/or adjusting the dB. I also wonder if your EQ is right, there is distortion and perhaps too much reverb.

From what I can hear, musically you're on track with your vocal, there's dynamics, pitch is OK.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:07:45 pm »
Can you please stop duplicate posting this. Thanks.

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »
@close2u, I want to share this in the two other sections for two different reasons. The recording section because there are people there who know about that kinda stuff and can help me. And the general section because I figured it would gather more of a reception. Btw, you're awesome at guitar.

@batwoman, I appreciate your answer. Thanks! Have you listened to the original? I tried my best to copy it. Took me all day to figure it out, but I'll get faster and more accurate the more I do this! Do you have any recordings of your own?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 08:45:41 pm »
@close2u, I want to share this in the two other sections for two different reasons. The recording section because there are people there who know about that kinda stuff and can help me. And the general section because I figured it would gather more of a reception.

Sorry jtibbs, we don't encourage or allow double posting.
If you're unsure of the best place to post for your threads then I'm happy to help - just ask.

This section is for Critique but is not used all that often.

The most general-purpose and widely visited section for people uploading their recordings is in Audio / Video of You Playing [ AVOYP ].

General Questions has this subtitle - Please use the lesson specific topics for questions related specifically to a lesson - all other guitar questions go in here! J - and is for  ... general guitar playing questions.

Audio - MIDI - Recording https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=85.0 is for discussion about the equipment / hardware of recording.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 12:15:18 am »
@batwoman, I appreciate your answer. Thanks! Have you listened to the original? I tried my best to copy it. Took me all day to figure it out, but I'll get faster and more accurate the more I do this! Do you have any recordings of your own?

Hey jtibbs, no I didn't listen to the other one. Good on you for putting the time in, a sure way to learn and improve. Yes, there are a few recordings of mine in AVOYP.  Got two more in the pipeline.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 03:22:48 pm »
JT,

All the parts sound pretty good to me.  I think the mix needs some work to blend everything together so the sum of the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts so to say.

Primarly, I would say step one is to look at balancing the levels and panning.  A typical approach would be to keep the vocal and bass in the centre and pan the other instruments left and right.

But the crux is to avoid the vocal from being drowned out by the other tracks in the mix.  So even just pulling the vocal up would be a good start.  Then you could play with panning to give different instruments their own space, rather than everything sitting on top of everything, dead centre.

I hope you will record the whole song and do some work on the mix since I think it has the makings of being a fine production.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App