Author Topic: 2019 Cover #16 (Wonderwall)  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #16 (Wonderwall)
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:55:38 pm »
A little behind schedule so I am throwing in this one also this week. Done it a few times before, but this is the first time I think the guitar starts sounding like the actual song (due to that my strumming has improved). Still not 100 % satisfied though, I think the strumming is not as smooth as I would like. This song is really a test if you have good strumming or not.

The video is very blurry, need to check the light conditions for the next video... Next song is gonna be a Blur song, but hopefully not this blurry  :)

Hope you like it: https://youtu.be/T8PtW0u0Dsk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:16:50 pm by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #16 (Wonderwall)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 07:57:11 pm »
I always find your playing of this song impressive, Johan. As you say, it is tricky pattern to strum.  On my to-do list for some time in the future.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:16:59 am »
I really like the acoustics and ambience of this room for recording Johan. If you have a light to shine on your face and guitar that may help the camera focus, but I really don't mind the blur.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 07:58:19 am »
Thanks David and Maggie. Glad to hear the acoustics works well in this room. I have not dedicated any time to learn how to record properly. I use a Focusrite Itrack Pocket which I attach to my Iphone to record. Some recordings sounds ok while others sounds bad. Not sure why. But my purpose with the recording is to hear myself playing and identify areas to improve, and for that purpose the recordings works well.

I think this is my best attempt at this song so far. I'm not there though, when listening to good players playing this song, the strumming is so smooth and tight and thats what really gives this song its signature. Getting closer though, just keep on practicing I guess...
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 12:45:49 pm »
Thanks David and Maggie. Glad to hear the acoustics works well in this room. I have not dedicated any time to learn how to record properly. I use a Focusrite Itrack Pocket which I attach to my Iphone to record. Some recordings sounds ok while others sounds bad. Not sure why. But my purpose with the recording is to hear myself playing and identify areas to improve, and for that purpose the recordings works well.

Johan,

Hard to say what may influence the quality of the recording.  A few things perhaps worth considering.

The room and where you sit in the room. The videos don't appear to be shot in exactly the same place every time.

The mic placement.  If you are putting your iPhone on the iTrack as is shown on the product web page, then I'd assume that the mic placement varies since the composition of the video seems to vary.  Mic placement in terms of distance from the guitar and where it is pointing plus position relative to your mouth will make a difference.

The iTrack has the ability to change the gain level at which you are recording.  Maybe you vary this, which could have an influence.

And lastly, I think how you play may have an influence.  Small things like how tightly you may be holding the pick and the heaviness of the strumming will have an influence.  And I this might be quite subtle in terms of the variations and still have an influence.  For example, how relaxed you feel about playing the song may subtly vary things and be picked up in the recording.

If I am correct about variations in the room, where you sit and how you place the iPhone/iTrack then I'd suggest experimenting to find what delivers the most pleasing sounding recordings.

All that said, none of your recordings sound bad and I think generally speaking your balance between guitar and vocal is fine, which is often a challenge when using a single mic, either builtin or plugged in, to a phone.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 07:48:08 am »
Many thanks David for your input on recording. Good to know what factors to consider. I'll try experimenting a bit.

Right now I have limited time experimenting with recordings though. I wanna devote the time I have to guitar learning. I am thinking this is something I wanna learn more about in the future. Maybe some day I'll make quality recordings, just like you David  :)
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:51:49 pm »
Great job!

Sent from my A1601 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27:14 pm »
Many thanks David for your input on recording. Good to know what factors to consider. I'll try experimenting a bit.

Right now I have limited time experimenting with recordings though. I wanna devote the time I have to guitar learning. I am thinking this is something I wanna learn more about in the future. Maybe some day I'll make quality recordings, just like you David  :)

Too kind, Johan.  I'm sure you'll get up to speed quickly enough on recording when you decide to give that some attention.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
The strumming sounded good, I think to get it perfect needs you to play the song over and over many times, you may struggle with that if you are playing a song a week.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 09:53:24 am »
Thanks Alex and jono!

jono: Yes repitition and to play the song many many times is the solution. After that play it some moreā€¦ Takes a long time to become a solid strummer.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App