Author Topic: pkboo3’s - Road Case  (Read 2807 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 126
Re: pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 01:47:09 am »
You're making great progress Pam. Looking forward to your comp entry.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 01:43:58 pm »
Thanks so much, Maggie!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 02:59:30 pm »
Just wanted to mention, the song I did in my earlier posts was “Stuck in the Middle With You”. Which will be one I’m keeping in my Set List/Repertoire. I have finally built an actual Set List which, as of now, I have 10 songs and working on number 11. (Justin said in a video somewhere, that 20 is a good number to have, so I’m going for that - if I can keep that many in my memory bank). I’m trying to keep them varied as to Genres; from one Nursery Rhyme song, to Country, to Pop & my current favorite Genre - I think it’s called Adult Alternative or Indie Pop, maybe?  Plus the two, so far, that I’ve written myself to be added.

I’m still plowing through “Let Her Go”. I’m wanting to memorize it, and include in my Set List, but memorization is my nemesis, and for me, this is a hard one to memorize. Such a challenge.

I’m also working on “Broken Halos”. The Strumming Pattern is fine - except for the Bm. And I still can’t sing and play this one at the same time. I may just do separate tracks just so I can post a song, but want to sing/play together before it can go in the Set List. I had a forum post a while back from Richard, on how to practice that type of song. Here is a copy of that post.

“*Play along with original song, no singing, many times, until you get to “auto-pilot”
*Do the same with singing
*Then bring guitar & singing together playing along with the original
*Then on your own and at a slower speed if necessary”

So that’s why I haven’t posted anything in a while.

Also, back in Sep or Oct 2019, I was invited by Maggie to join in on a song collaboration. Of course I said yes! I’ve always been impressed by Maggie, her vocals, her custom-made guitar , and mostly her personality. I love to read her well-written, witty posts. So along with her, DavidP, LBro, & Oldhead49, we  did a cover of “Mockingbird”. Through illness, other pressing events, and hard work, we “got her done” in Jan 2020!  It was challenging, but a fun song to do. I enjoyed working with this team❤️.

The other thing I wanted to post is that I had been adding a lot of practice items to my practice routines & was rotating them on alternate days, but it was getting too overwhelming. So when Justin’s Practice Assistant came out, I decided to utilize it. It took some time to get it started. I had to rewatch the introduction video about three times to learn it, but I now have three routines created. That may be about one too many, but it really seems to have helped me get back on track a little better and not feel so overwhelmed. I’m sticking a little more closely to the Intermediate Book and letting go of some of the older practice items. Just keeping what I know I need to retain. Anyway, just a little plug for the Practice Assistant.

The only other thing I can think of mentioning now is that I have been practicing the E-Shape & A-Shape Barre Chords and so far am doing better on them. I did figure out though that my left shoulder had been hurting back in early January. At first, I felt like my shoulder joint was popped out of place. But after taking it easy and figuring out it wasn’t the way I hold my blow dryer to dry my hair; that it was most likely how I’m fretting those Barre Chords. So I’m just trying to shift my arm & hand position while playing. My shoulder seems much better now but I still need to be conscious of it and take care of it. Still not back to 100% but much better. I’m sure some of that is Arthritis & age. Which also got me back into a good exercise routine. That has certainly helped! 

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 489
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:08 pm »
Great update Pam. I am especially impressed with your goal of building that repertoire to 20.
Well done on the 10 and a bit so far.
:)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:07 am »
Thanks Richard; and thanks on your pointers on how to practice on playing/singing at same time! 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 126
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 03:18:55 am »
Loved your update Pam, so full of good news and great progress. Your set list is growing and now you're tackling barre chords. Good idea to look at your posture if you're getting pain.

Do you have any plans to go public? I know that's been a scary thing for you in the past. Are you playing for your family? I know the dogs love your playing and singing.

Jealous of my Cedar? Funny. Thanks for the lovely things you've said about me. It was a dream come true to be able to sing with you.

When are we going to hear that honey voice of yours? You know I'm a fan don't you?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 06:26:35 am »
Fabulous update, Pam.  Good to hear what you've been up to.  All sounds excellent. 

Like Maggie I look forward to hearing another recording from you.  They are always such a treat.

On memorising ... I also find memorising a challenge.  I managed to memorise a few songs which I performed live.  But I feel my live performance is less stressful and better since I went back to using sheets.  I know the strong sentiment expressed here that one should memorise but in my opinion at my level, as a very much early days hobbyist, if I need song sheets that's just fine and better to up there playing, not held back by a memorising challenge.  Just my opinion.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »
Hey Maggie. Nice to hear from you. No plans on going public other than maybe carrying my guitar out to a park or something and playing on my tailgate. I played Hush Little Baby for Aaron the other day and actually got a real listen and a smile out of him. It helps when I have something actually memorized.

Part of my fear from going more public: Years ago, I got up in front of my supervisory staff on a Quality  Management Project. My voice shook and I could see they were uncomfortable for me. I said I would never do that again!  But if I had someone just walk by or be at a distance, and I wasn’t fully aware of them, I might could continue to play without freezing up.

Haha, not jealous of your Cedar, just impressed & happy for you.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 01:37:52 pm »
Hey David. Thanks for your encouragement.

Yeah, nothing wrong with having sheet music either. And even though I am working on a Set List, if I had to do Open Mic, I would want that sheet music, because, for me, I’m sure I would freeze up if I didn’t have that bit of security in front of me. But it has been a little freeing to be able to just play without it. Also, I don’t want to just play the same few songs over and over, so I have other songs I can play but don’t have memorized.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 02:18:33 pm »
Part of my fear from going more public: Years ago, I got up in front of my supervisory staff on a Quality  Management Project. My voice shook and I could see they were uncomfortable for me. I said I would never do that again!  But if I had someone just walk by or be at a distance, and I wasn’t fully aware of them, I might could continue to play without freezing up.

You probably know I have just over 3 years of guitar here in the Justin Community under my belt.  I also have just under 14 years of Toastmasters under my belt.  I am a much better speaker than performer :)

I have seen many people join Toastmasters and stand up, physically tremble, stutter and stammer and even freeze completely.  And I have seen all these people overcome this and become comfortable speaking to an audience.  Sure not everybody is going to rival King or Kennedy sharing an inspiring nation transforming vision, but they can all share their message and engage an audience.

And just like it is here at Justin Guitar it comes from teaching, practicing and feedback.  And just like that first time we posted a recording or video here, it takes overcoming some fear and anxiety.  That is courage, to act despite the fear, not to have no fear.  You have overcome what ever fear and anxiety (I expect there was some) you had to share your music here.  So you have courage.  If you wanted to perform for people I am sure you can find that way that breaks into small enough steps that you have the confidence and courage to take the next step.  Because courage is courage and I think you have demonstrated it.

And confidence comes from competence and doing which we have all seen many times before.

I think it comes down to what you really want and understanding why you want it.

OK, enough preaching from me :)

Hey David. Thanks for your encouragement.

Yeah, nothing wrong with having sheet music either. And even though I am working on a Set List, if I had to do Open Mic, I would want that sheet music, because, for me, I’m sure I would freeze up if I didn’t have that bit of security in front of me. But it has been a little freeing to be able to just play without it. Also, I don’t want to just play the same few songs over and over, so I have other songs I can play but don’t have memorized.

;D

Maybe a little more ...

I have found over time, the more I stand up at home and play the more I am finding greater freedom in my playing, despite using my sheets.  OK, my strumming and singing is no more technically advanced than it was a year ago, rather I think I am just consolidating and becoming better at what I can do.

Justin also said somewhere, maybe on one of those dog walk videos, that if you try something harder and begin to make progress at it then the things you were doing before will seem easier and improve.  I can agree with that, in that I think since I started video recording myself and then doing Open Mics I think I have become more confident.

So just keep rocking along and you'll achieve all you dream and then more that you've not yet dared to dream ...

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 02:31:15 pm »
Thanks David for the pep talk. One day, I may surprise you! 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 02:36:58 pm »
Thanks David for the pep talk. One day, I may surprise you! 

Won't be surprised, just happy for you. 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App