Author Topic: pkboo3’s - Road Case  (Read 2780 times)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
Re: pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 04:35:46 am »
Thanks, Richard for stopping in my RC and congratulating me. Means a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 04:37:29 am »
Thanks Lynn!  Haha!  Rotten Tomatoes! 

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 04:41:06 am »
Thanks sairfingers! That’s a good way of looking at it. Good advice. Playing WITH someone & not FOR them. However, today, I recorded and played for my brother the Happy Birthday Song. I think he was surprised! 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 05:16:49 am »
That's the stuff! You've roped them in. Give them time to chill and dig your vibe. It takes time and you're working to move your skills forward. Onward and upward.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:09 am »
Hey David. Thanks!  If I have time and incentive, I may try a video for the contest.

Concerning consolidation,  tonight I was a bit perplexed about where to go next & what to study. I did add another practice bullet in my rotations. ET-303 The Mental Fretboard. Something I have seemed to accidentally overlook until now. I’ve already added practicing E-Shaped Barre chords up and down the fret. From there, not sure yet where to move forward to.  But as you say, I’ll keep on rocking & rolling!

Pam, I chatted to Justin about moving on post BC during my Skype lesson with him. 

A key piece of advice was not to start up too many different things.  And also not to be too worried about following the path strictly.

In my case, he watched me playing my basic BC finger-picking and encouraged me to look at the advanced folk finger style module ... not being worried that it is "advanced".  Then played some pentatonic scales, spoke about blues.  Could start the blues lead.  During the session I'd played some E and A shape barre chords, which he said were pretty much OK.  So next in Intermediate for me is the 1/16 note strumming and counting. He suggested to pick a couple of things and focus for a few months, give it time to make some progress.

In the end, I started on the finger-picking.  Turns out the thing I never made any progress at all on prior to Justin is now something I really enjoy.  Did try some of the 1/16 note work but wasn't getting into it, so pass on that one for now :)  But that is fine since to a degree, it is my adventure to enjoy as I choose.

So I reckon it comes down to what and how do you want to play.  Maybe in the short, medium and long-term.  Then pick something that helps move you towards that goal. 

I can say learning the E and then A shape barre chords, really opens things up in terms of being able to play more songs and mix things up using more of the fret board, different voicings for chords.  And that is all good without 1/16 note strumming.  I say that since A shape comes after some of the strumming work and maybe one might feel you have to do the strumming first ... I don't think so. 

You could look at the video lessons Justin is posting with Tammy, and follow along.

I want to be able to play that acoustic folk-country-blues style eventually, with a slide.  So getting into finger-picking made sense since it moves me towards being able to play that style of music.  But also want to play simple lead on the electric, so could do blues lead but that would be where the too many focus points could come into play.

And of course, consolidating by playing songs.  And for I like to make the recordings, not aiming for flawless just good enough, as the end result of learning a song.

Gosh, rather a long reply, with maybe more of my experience than is appropriate in your RC.  But hope some of the thoughts may be help you figure things out and make some choices.

And above all, keep it fun.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 03:16:23 pm »
Thanks CT. Will keep on trying.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 03:25:26 pm »
No problem, David. It’s all helpful advice. I figure I will probably head towards the folk finger style but I discovered that I also like songs like “Rather Go Blind” which I believe is Blues. So I may do a little research on that first. I’m just starting on the E shape Barre Chords. Will check on Scales lessons also. I also haven’t done much on 1/16 Strumming. Good advice on following along with Tammy & Justin videos.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 08:17:31 pm »
What a great read your RC is Pam and what a great journey the last 4 years has been for you.   I hadn't felt the need to comment until now as you are all over this guitar playing.    You've made the transition from a regular person to a guitar player and a musician and it shows.

I would love to see you comfortable playing for people because I can tell that it is important to you. So it should be.   Pam, we're the same.  I mean, i'm a man and you're a woman so we're not exactly the same, however we are in that I struggle to play for an audience of 1 or 100 people. 
This may not work for you Pam but it does for me so I hope it helps.

Ok so previously my mindset when I was ever confronted with an audience was one of 'I must impress, or I must give'  My emotions were that of pure excitement and anticipation but my nerves were gone due to the pressure I'd put on myself.    I was talking with a counselor one day and she offered this piece of wisdom.    As the musician, playing for anyone is a privilege, in fact they are giving us an amazing gift by being an audience.   We are the ones on the receiving end when we perform.   As musicians, every opportunity we have to share our music is a gift we should cherish and not let the chance pass.   We wouldn't give a gift back that's been given to us, we'd be excited and thankful.  Pondering this helped me realize what I was really doing and took so much pressure off.  Maybe it will for you to Pam.  :)
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 08:51:05 pm »
As musicians, every opportunity we have to share our music is a gift we should cherish and not let the chance pass.
I can see where you’re coming from Alex, but where does the confidence come from when you’re not sure of your ability and skill to entertain? We have to be sure our gift is of an acceptable standard before offering it. Otherwise we’re deluding ourselves that others want to listen.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 10:28:22 pm »
Absolutely sairfingers,  having the ability and knowing your material back to front is first and foremost.     I would never play for anyone if I wasn't confident in what I was about to play.    Nerves and stage fright affect individuals regardless of their ability or talent.    Performing is a completely separate skill to playing which is not always acknowledged.   You play guitar,  well you can play for us then,  is often the false assumption.   

I should have been clearer in my post.   Absolutely, good preparation and knowing your material is step one.   If then performing or the thought of it is a big problem then perhaps a change in mindset might help.

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »
Alex & sairfingers. All are comments, thoughts, & insights to seriously ponder on. I realize it could be either in different cases. Is it actually fear or the fact I may not completely know the material. For me, it can be both. The song I played for my grand babies, I knew well enough at least for them. Not afraid of my grand babies. But if the adults in the family would have been listening, I wouldn’t have been so confident. My main fear is forgetting the words, chords... & if I bore them.  Anyway, thanks for your comments. They are always helpful and appreciated.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 09:53:44 pm »
Well, I’m still working on “Let Her Go”.  That’s why I haven’t posted much besides the contest entries. I’ve watched Justin’s lesson on the song.  I found some tab & printed it off. Some of it I had to use whiteout on to make it as close to Justin’s lesson as I could.  It’s a fast song too. Which I can’t play that fast. The fingerpicking in the beginning of the song is the hardest for me. I don’t want to just strum the whole song so I want to learn it & include the fingerpicking. I don’t know if I will be able to play it to my satisfaction for quite a while; so I decided I will keep trying, but move along with something else in addition.

I’m practicing along with the First module in the Consolidation Course & maybe soon to advance to Module 2. I plan on also buying the Fingerpicking Book.  I’m practicing for the current contest with a song in the Bonus Module of the Beginners Course Book. Not a song I ever would have picked, but it seems my vocals work better on that song than on others I have in my repertoire. It also has a challenging strumming pattern - at least for me. So I’m going with that one. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 10:14:00 pm »
Good to get an update from you, Pam, and glad yo hear you are still strumming and picking. No big deal how long it takes you to get the songs down...took me months to be adequate with some of the coverx I've posted recently.  Look forward to hearing and hopefully watching your contest entry in due course.

Rock on, as LBro would say   8)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
    • YouTube
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2019, 10:19:43 pm »
It's just music, something we do for fun, it's not a competition! Oh wait, never mind. :)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2019, 11:22:04 pm »
Thanks David. Appreciate your encouragement.

Clint thanks for the laugh. You caught yourself before you hit send

Get The Forum As A Mobile App