Author Topic: pkboo3’s - Road Case  (Read 4618 times)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
pkboo3’s - Road Case
« on: April 27, 2019, 11:38:10 pm »
Here’s Where I Am After 4 Years

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

OK, I’ve been thinking about starting a Road Case for some time. So I’m finally going to jump in now; which is the time I’m starting to mix the last four songs of Justin’s Beginner’s Course with dipping my toes into the uncertainties of the Intermediate Course. 

Looking back, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning to play my Takamine G Series Guitar. Which is my second guitar and my second attempt at learning. My first was a simple Harmony guitar if I remember correctly bought from Sears. I attempted trying to learn back in my early 40’s. I practiced for two years, learned a few songs, then lost interest until I tried again 4 years ago; inspired by a friend who simply showed me a video of her daughter learning to play the guitar. I started again with my Harmony; paid $25 to have it adjusted. I played it a short while then decided to look for a new one. I had a knowledgeable friend go with me to look at some, then I went on my own to a couple places until I found the Takamine. Yes it’s true that when you hear the one you want, you will know it. So I bought it.  Now, four years later, as I’m learning about E-shaped Barre chords, I’m seeing that I may need to have the action adjusted on it.  Not now, but in time, I will start looking for another guitar because I’m recently feeling “GAS”!

Back to my process up until now. I have gone through the steps advised by Justin. I have practiced each of his songs in order, practicing each one for seven days and then moving on to the next lesson. In addition, I’m going through his online videos following suggested practice routines. Plus his Music Theory & his Strumming Techniques. I also have some extra lessons from my previous studies. I have a Mel Bay Grade 1 Book that I’m slowly going through, learning the notes from that. Another that has 50 lessons called “US School of Music”. I’m over halfway through that.

I just play in my bedroom almost every evening. But I do skip a few evenings here and there. In my Skype with Justin, he told me I was doing too much at one time, so he showed me how to break it down which helped me a lot.

During this time, some of my highlights have been meeting all you Forum members. Also joining in with a few collaborations - My first one, Lynn introduced me to a man from England who was looking for a female vocal with a Texas accent. I didn’t play guitar in his song, only vocals, but we met through her on this forum. From there we have conversed and collaborated on other projects since then. He helped me with some Recording effects on a second submission of my “Brand New Key” song. So thanks, Lynn, for introducing me to him. I have & still do enjoy collaborating with him. Second was LBro volunteering to help me improve the recording on my “I’d Rather Go Blind” song which was very much appreciated.  And the third was the Christmas Collaboration song “Baby Please Come Home” with David & Max. All this has helped with the learning process.

Also, I have tried to participate in the monthly/bi-monthly/tri-monthly contests, getting great advice and constructive criticism which also helps with the learning process. Even winning one when I recorded “How to Save a Life” and coming in 3rd with David & Max in the Christmas Collaboration. That was cool since everyone won something in that contest!  Also submitting audio or video in the AVOYP Section is great & awesome support.

I’m trying to learn the recording processes which for me is kind of hard, but I’m hanging in there and with each attempt, hope to improve in how they turn out. I have a Presonus AudioBox USB 96 and I’m using Studio One 3 Artist DAW.

I have about 26 songs in my Repertoire. Some are just easy kid’s songs (I wanted to be able to play for my grand baby), two I wrote myself, some are my own personal favorite covers, some are from Justin’s BC that I really liked & that seemed to work well with my vocal range.

I am currently at a stand still on recording another song. I bit off more than I can chew on a song I love that has fingerpicking that I can’t play fast enough & it’s hard for me to memorize. It’s “Let Her Go” by Passenger. So I’m not sure whether to keep on trying with it, or to move on to an easier one but still keep practicing this one.

I’m just a private player, only playing for you all & for my own enjoyment. I was brave enough once to play for my two grandsons who were about 14 & 11 at the time. I couldn’t tell if they were that impressed honestly.  And my 4 year old gets to hear me some in addition to what my husband hears through the bedroom door.  One time, my son, who is also a beginner, wanted to try my guitar during our Christmas gathering. So he was playing around with it and he started playing the 12-bar Blues. So I grabbed my Harmony and attempted to join in with some Am Pentatonic improv.  My step-daughter came in to listen so that was kind of neat.

I sometimes sit out on my back porch wondering what someone might think if they heard me. As long as I didn’t know they were listening, I could keep playing, but if I knew they were there, I would freeze up.  Justin asked me how I could play for the forum but couldn’t play for a live person. I told him I could always have a do-over on a recording. He said I could have a do-over for a real person too. But still, I haven’t.  A big part of me not playing for an audience is that I have poor memory. I can memorize a song, but it’s very hard for me to retain it, so I always have to have the music in front of me. Justin did tell me how to write the major points down & have them on the floor or somewhere near that I could read but I haven’t tried it.

OK, this is getting long so I’ll stop for now.  I suppose before I post anymore, I need to read some of your Road Cases & comment on them. I read a couple a while back & today read through Batwoman’s. I’ll be checking in on others when I can.

Best Wishes to all,

Pam
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:26:30 am by pkboo3 »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
Re: pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:45 pm »
Mysterious Pam, please do tell.  :)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:15:23 am »
Hehe, Maggie!  I wrote some more, so hope you will go back and read the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:22:12 am »
Lovely to read your story, Pam.

It has been a pleasure to be along for the ride through listening to all your posts. I've loved hearing you grow in ability and confidence. I've found that inspiring, hearing and seeing the progress.  And I confess, I've always felt a measure of connectedness with you (and a few others) who seemed to be making similar progress through the BC as myself ... like we were in the same class in school  ;D

I'm looking forward to reading the next episode after you've read a few more RCs.

And of course await your next recording with keen anticipation.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 135
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 06:25:37 am »
Hey Pam, glad you've started your RC. It's good to get to know you better and to follow your progress. Knowing how well you sing and play I'd love to see you play for a small group of friends. As Justin said, you can always do a take 2. Isn't LBro just the best in the way he so generously shares his knowledge? I sure do understand how daunting the whole thing is, so power to you sister that you're continuing to learn. Look after that golden voice of yours.  Very much wanting to hear your next production Pam.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »
Thanks David!  So good to read your comments. You are one of the best at conversing with all of us. Your’s is the next RC I’m going to read through. So I’ll be seeing you over there. Yeah, I feel the connection same as you. Seems like we are progressing similarly but I think you are passing me a little bit. That’s OK. We each have our own speed.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 06:04:28 pm »
Thanks so much, Maggie!  Yeah, it’s neat over here getting to know everyone’s story and becoming a little closer to one another. Yep, LBro is so generous in sharing his assistance and knowledge. A keen believer in paying it forward.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:07 pm »
Thanks David!  So good to read your comments. You are one of the best at conversing with all of us. Your’s is the next RC I’m going to read through. So I’ll be seeing you over there. Yeah, I feel the connection same as you. Seems like we are progressing similarly but I think you are passing me a little bit. That’s OK. We each have our own speed.

Kind of you to say, Pam.  And as for passing, I don't think about that sort of thing.  As you say, we are all getting on with it here, following our own path and developing in the way that works for us.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:33:08 pm »
thanks for sharing; So much songs in your repertoire and still such a private player.   ;)
No worries, what matters most is how it serves YOU.
If you would really wanto to "go public", we are all here to help you as well!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:26:57 am by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:18 am »
Thanks LievenDV. I think, for me, it would have to just happen, no pushing from my end. Sort of like when my stepdaughter just walked in for a listen. Or if a neighbor hears me play and shows an interest. If only I had better memory skills I may be more willing to step out a little more. I don’t believe I can’t learn; I just must have a bit of a spot of a sponge on my brain that doesn’t soak in as well as it should. I’ve always had bad retention skills. But I really do enjoy playing no matter what else happens. Thanks for commenting. Will look you up soon.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 169
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:30:20 am »
I’ve always had bad retention skills. But I really do enjoy playing no matter what else happens. Thanks for commenting. Will look you up soon.

btw, Nothing wrong to put a little stand in front of you with a it of help.
the thing just being there will give you as much comfort as actually reading some stuff from it. :)

I have issues remembering lyrics I wrote myself; how silly is that? :)
Last gig with the band, I made a paper with big words on it to put in front of me, hidden behind my monitor. Knowing it is there to help me, actually gives me more comfort than actually reading from it.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 09:40:27 pm »
Good advice, LievenDV. That’s definitely what I would have to do. I’m the same on my own songs too. Justin was telling me that in our Skype session too. Just write on a sheet the main parts and set it where you can see it.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 11:08:09 pm »
Hi Pam

Nice to read more of your background story and to  witness your progress over time.

You have the playing skills and the voice to thoroughly entertain an audience.

Here's wishing you all the best for the next stage of the journey.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 05:24:48 pm »
Aw thanks Barend. Lovely compliment and it sure makes a person feel good! 

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 02:38:08 am »
So nice to get to know you better @pkboo3! I've liked everything I heard you play so far, so keep doing what you're doing. :)

My only suggestion is come out of the bedroom and start playing in shared living space. It's important to weave your playing into the fabric of your family's life. It's who you are, and it will help with everyone's comfort level. It was a huge help for me in my early stages of playing.   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App