Author Topic: pkboo3’s - Road Case  (Read 2836 times)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
    • YT-channel
Re: pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 08:49:37 am »
Hey Pam, thanks for sharing your story! :)

Looking forward to your next recording you'll share with us! 

A big part of me not playing for an audience is that I have poor memory.
There's nothing wrong with bringing the sheet music along and you can pretend that "no one is listening" if that helps (I did the same by closing my eyes) :) Once you'll get a bit more comfortable with the situation you can look up and get some glimpses of your audience :)

Playing for the first time in front of an audience can be a strange thing; Most of us never feel 'ready', neither did I - but if you never dip your feet in these waters you'll never know what it's like :) If it's not your thing it's alright, too - but I highly recommend giving it a chance :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 02:38:17 pm »
Thank you CT. And I like your suggestion. I may just have to do that. I have sat outside with my husband and played some but may need to make it more direct.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 02:41:59 pm »
Thanks Max!  Great advice.  Maybe one day soon... You all are such great encouragers. Love this forum!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 09:52:52 pm »
Hi Pam,
Nice RC you wrote and not too long, just right. You are out of my same mold in that I can't memorize a song either. I so wish that you were on Reaper so I could show you a metode to write all you need to know on the screen in the DAW. Perhaps if you saw a video I am working on you could transfer the technique to your DAW. I have the guitar chords, lyrics and more right in front of me. They scroll by perfectly timed like Karaoke. I could not play much without this.

I will also share we go on some cruise ships. It is very common the players there have a laptop propped up on the piano, a stand or something and they even take a few seconds out to call up the next song. No one thinks anything of it because it is so common and most realize the player could not possibly know all the songs they can deliver per request (at times) without the laptop there.

So don't worry as there are ways around things through technology and folks accept that you will use the tools needed to entertain them. I am still trying to get MAX on a cruise ship as I think he is ready for such a gig. They give the players a room, all the food and drink they want, plus the trip of a lifetime. They even pay you on top of that. Audiences there are very nice. Almost like the forum. I am not saying this to steer you that way. Rather I am saying it because it is an example of being able to use your aids to creating a good time through music. So keep that in mind as you progress.

Talk about getting long winded.. I ma outta here..
You take care,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:04:39 pm »
Wow, LBro. That’s some interesting info. I did have a trial version of REAPER when I first started trying to learn recording, but when I bought my setup, I ended up with Studio One.  Is there a way you can share the video?  Like you said, I could possibly do the same on my DAW.

Awesome on the cruise ship performances. Yeah, Max would be able to do that easily! 

I’ve seen scrolling on the Tabs App. It might could work.

Thanks for the interesting information.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 02:25:40 am »
Since my last Road Case posting I’ve tried to venture outside a little more. Recently, my neighbors were outside in their backyard & I was in mine. I kept playing. And a couple nights ago, my two grandkids ( 5 & 8 ) asked me to come play for them (in the bedroom where I practice & they were playing... I think my little man just wanted me in there with him). So I went in there with them & played the song that I plan on submitting for the upcoming contest. At first, I felt like they were enjoying it. The 8 year old was dancing/jumping along on the mini-trampoline while I played. But they quickly lost interest. I was going to play “Brand New Key”, but they were gone by then, so I slipped the guitar back in its case and trodded on out behind them.

Anyway, the main reason I’m posting now is to say that tonight I completed Justin’s Beginner’s Songbook (the first one). I started around mid Apr 2015 and completed today - 17 Jun 2019. So yay me!  On to the consolidation work and then gradually to Intermediate.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:32:12 am by pkboo3 »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 126
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 03:54:22 am »
Cheering and clapping for you Pam! Yay you three times round - for playing so others can hear you, for completing BC and for having a song ready for the comp. I hope you're singing, you know how much I love your voice.

Big hugs and high fives sister.  :-* :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 273
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 06:20:18 am »
Three cheers and high fives, Pam ... congratulations, what a fabulous milestone.

Delighted to hear that you're busy with a Contest entry.  Like Maggie said, love to listen to you and, even better watch if this one includes a video, both playing and singing is always a treat.

Consolidating is a good idea.  I think I am permanently mixing up with consolidating by learning songs with some new learning, in my case more finger-picking.

Keep on rocking and rolling ...

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 08:35:04 am »
Cool Pam.
Well done on completing the BC, slow and steady wins the day 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 490
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 08:46:52 am »
Oh wow.
Congrats Pam - on all fronts.
:)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:59:01 am »
Congratulations Pam!

We also played out in our yard a few weeks ago. It was fun and felt good. No one threw any rotten tomatoes. Haha.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »
My only suggestion is come out of the bedroom and start playing in shared living space. It's important to weave your playing into the fabric of your family's life.
Couldn’t agree more. Playing with family listening is a huge step forward. Next one is with friends listening too. I enjoy playing ‘with’ family and friends. Quite different and a lot easier than playing ‘for’ family and friends as that implies you have to ‘entertain’ them.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC completed, now on IM and Folk Fingerstyle (and a little Blues impro 😎).
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 04:22:54 am »
Thanks, Maggie. Wow, three cheers!  I appreciate that. And for liking my voice. However, the last two or three I’ve sang have given me trouble. Parts of each one are a bit outside my vocal range. But going to keep trying to push them.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
pkboo3’s - Road Case
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:03 am »
Hey David. Thanks!  If I have time and incentive, I may try a video for the contest.

Concerning consolidation,  tonight I was a bit perplexed about where to go next & what to study. I did add another practice bullet in my rotations. ET-303 The Mental Fretboard. Something I have seemed to accidentally overlook until now. I’ve already added practicing E-Shaped Barre chords up and down the fret. From there, not sure yet where to move forward to.  But as you say, I’ll keep on rocking & rolling!

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 04:34:25 am »
Thanks Toby. You’ve got that right - slow & steady. Seems I’m pretty much methodical in many cases.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App