Author Topic: Libi's Learning  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Do something new, Learn the Guitar.
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
Libi's Learning
« on: December 26, 2019, 11:00:46 am »
Well, Not really the place to really make an introduction but, it's going to feel that way to me. I joined JG's site about 3 years ago with the intentions of learning the Guitar but, never got around to it. This is because of a 30 year hobby/passion that i didn't want to stop. That said, I REALLY WANT TO LEARN to play my guitar so, everything of my last hobby has now been sold. :) believe me I am please and I don't miss it, maybe just a little.

Anyway, this will be the area for links to me :( finally getting around to learning my Guitar. They've just been sitting in the corner gathering dust, so, time for a new past time.

A little background info, I'm 55 now and have a little knowledge of music (mostly forgotten due to age lol) as I have (although don't play anymore) , a piano which I used to play, MANY MANY moons back.
I was not taught to play the piano but I manage to learn some beautiful pieces.
My favourite being Beethoven's Sonata no.14 in C#m. Hopefully memories will come back.

For now though, I'm awaiting a clip to hold my phone due tomorrow so that I can hold my phone on an old tri-pod, yep another hobby, or was. Until then I cannot record anything, which is a must really so I'm told :(.

Enough of now and fingers X,d tomorrow will be a good day to start a new..

See you soon.

Libi.

lol,  watch this space  ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:53:19 pm by Libitina »
1st, Epiphone Electro-acoustic AJ 220 SCE
2nd, Squire Strat HSS Candy Apple Red
3rd, Epiphone Ltd Ed. ES339 Vintage Sunburst

Offline b1rdland

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
Re: Libby's Learning
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:28:34 am »
Hi Libby, I’m glad you’ve decided learn, I’m sure you won’t regret it. I’m looking forward to your first recording and seeing how you get on. It will be tough, but we’ll worth the effort.

Good luck

B1rdland
My music https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/illuminate-2
Gibson es335 - Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
Re: Libi's Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 03:41:16 pm »
https://youtu.be/0mu0-ZaOHpM

Late getting the clip but finally arrived, very tentative first steps and video and youtube channels as well as the guitar and recording levels :(

Baby Steps, baby steps.

Libi.

And so it begins.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 300
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:15:43 pm »
Well done, Libi, and welcome to the Community.

Looks like you have made a good start and already posting videos is a great move ... sure to get useful feedback and encouragement.

I particularly noticed how you concentrated a lot on get each finger up close to the fret wire, sometimes starting in the middle of the fret but quickly shifting up.

I would take another look at Justin's fingers when he frets these chords. Look at the angle of the finger to the fretboard.  Yours seem to be angled back towards the headstock.  I'm not expert but I think closer to perpendicular to the fretboard is more ideal for these chords.  So check that one out.  And if needs be experiment with your guitar position.

It may also help as you get a settled position to use your strap even when sitting.  This can help keep the guitar in a consistent position and you can then be totally relaxed in how you position your right arm and left hand in the sense that you know the guitar cannot slip from your grasp and crash to floor ... such a beautiful looking and sounding guitar it is ... which might be a subconscious even conscious concern.

Keep at it, short and frequent sessions and soon your muscles will develop strength and finger-tips will toughen up.

Enjoy the adventure ...

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:53:39 pm »
Thanks davidP, I'll be sure to check myself against those vids and I'll try the strap too.

Libi
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:14:43 pm by Libitina »

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »
Hi Libi, I’m very much a beginner too and only 4 months in and currently almost ready to move onto to stage 4 I think. I agree with David your hand is at a strange angle for those first 3 chords and should be more square on I think, at least that’s the way I’ve learnt from following Justin, definitely watch the vids again. Now I don’t know if that angle is detrimental to progressing or indeed a bad habit but it does awkward. Having said that when you move on to stage 2 you will need that sort of angled hand position for Dm for example, quite a stretch initially and the in stage 3 Cmaj is similar where the angled hand is required.

I also noted towards the latter part of your video you seem to be really pointing the guitar outwards rather than than holding and supporting square across your body and therefore your fretting hand really stretching forward to play, once again I’m no expert, just an observation that’s looks very different to what I did.

Having said all that your chords largely sound nice and clear and your guitar looks beautiful.

So in summary, just some observations that others more experienced may advise your fine as you are. I’d put David P in that category from my time mainly browsing the forum.

Keep at it, sounds like you’ve made a great start  ;D

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:43:02 pm »
Thanks, I will watch my own vids too and compare. It would be nice to see if I can progress at a similar pace to you, I would be quite happy with that. I've have a lot more time free now since the removal of my last hobby/pastime.

Hope to practice almost daily now.

Thanks

Libi.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Getting on with my life now!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:43:10 am »
https://youtu.be/0mu0-ZaOHpM
Late getting the clip but finally arrived, very tentative first steps and video and youtube channels as well as the guitar and recording levels :(
Baby Steps, baby steps.
Libi.
And so it begins.
That’s the right way to get started, keep posting your progress, you will only get the best encouragement and advice from all of us. Good vibes for making the effort!
Still here, still learning - don’t let obstacles get in my way Fibromyalgia sucks but doesn’t mean your life stops!

Offline Libitina

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
    • Libi's-Learning-Guitar
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:13:12 pm »
A little update, I almost didn't do any today as I've not had a sleep.

A little go at the new Peter Gunn notes
https://youtu.be/alZoUTptd04

2.5 mins of chords on the Acoustic
https://youtu.be/WcHLplQ9ya4

and same for the Electric.
https://youtu.be/RdaeSrqe6r8

Libi.

Time for a snooze I think..

Get The Forum As A Mobile App