Author Topic: 2019 Cover #14 (Kräm)  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #14 (Kräm)
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:03 pm »
This is on old favourite of mine by a Swedish band called Kent. Struggling with the bar chords. Wanted to use a more advanced strumming pattern and a little more dynamics, but couldn't manage that together with the tricky chords. So I went with a very basic one, downstrums only. Pretty tough one to play, get tired after a while.

I would like to hear what you think of my bar chord technique. I have problems to make all strings ring out properly and the bar chords sound pretty bad. More work to do.

https://youtu.be/74qRkCGE0f0

If you wanna listen to the original: https://youtu.be/Ix_Sw6wOsAM
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 2019 Cover #14 (Kräm)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 05:32:20 am »
Honestly, Johan, I think like so many folk, you are your harshest critic.  But given that you are still here and continuing, it isn't necessarily a problem  ;D

I think the barre chords sounded fine the way you were playing this song.

On the changes I noticed that you didn't land the Bb cleean every time and made a slight adjustment between the first and second strum on the chord.  You did that smoothly and it didn't break rhythm.  So sure it's not yet where you want it, landing the chord spot on every change, but not causing an obvious issue in the song for me.

I noticed that your change to Dm seemed a little hesitant, not as confident as all the other changes.  Maybe that is one to boost with a dose of one-minute-changes, air-changes.

Your singing sounded really confident, strong on this one, another step up.

All round, a really enjoyable listen and good performance.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:13:01 am »
Thanks David. Glad you liked the vocals, some pitch problem maybe at times, but if you say its good I wont argue with you on that  :)

I am happy I managed to get through the song in the key of F which is a difficult key for me. I was thinking about transpose it to G, which will make it quite easy with open chords only, but I wanted to try to play it in the original key. The song only has four chords (F-Bb-Dm and C) so that helps. At first I also tried to add in some upstrums but it was too d-mn difficult keeping up a more complex pattern, change to those tricky chords and also sing at the same time. So I went for a more simple arrangement, works pretty well also.

Thanks for the information about the Bb and Dm Changes. Exactly the info I was looking for. I agree the change to Dm looks shaky, need more work.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:51:17 am by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:40 am »
Thanks David. Glad you liked the vocals, some pitch problem maybe at times, but if you say its good I wont argue with you on that  :)

I am happy I managed to get through the song in the key of F which is a difficult key for me. I was thinking about transpose it to G, which will make it quite easy with open chords only, but I wanted to try to play it in the original key. The song only has four chords (F-Bb-Dm and C) so that helps. At first I also tried to add in some upstrums but it was too d-mn difficult keeping up a more complex pattern, change to those tricky chords and also sing at the same time. So I went for a more simple arrangement, works pretty well also.

Thanks for the infor about the Bb and Dm Changes. Exactly the info I was looking for. I agree the change to Dm looks shaky, need more work.

Well I won't argue with you on matters of pitch, Johan ... my ears still need much work to be properly calibrated to proper pitch :) 

And pat on the back for sticking with a more challenging key, that meant you had to use those barre chords. 

I have also giving moments of thought to how might I make videos and continue to record the way I do.  I think you get extra levels of feedback that way.  Goodness knows how many of my changes would be shaky if I saw myself playing :)

Just have to reiterate, I think your confidence and performance level is growing through this regular recording and sharing.  You're an inspiration to us, to do more of the same as it clearly is an effective way of learning and improving.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:32 am »
Hi Johan

I also think you're being a bit harsh the F seemed fine and the Bb sounded fine but looked uncomfortable. BOTH SOUNDED FINE THOUGH. The Dm also looked uncomfortable, I really struggled with Dm until I started using little finger and now it's not an issue. Did you try that yet? Takes a bit of time but I find it easier.

I think the thing with Barre chords is just to keep playing
them until they are second nature. I now find playing a progression with e and a shape Barre chords as easy as open chords, sometimes it seems easier as it's a similar wrist position. Probably can't play as long though it's still more tiring.

Really liked this song think you're being very hard on yourself it sounded good.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:16:18 pm »
Johan, I’m with David- I think you’re being a bit hard on yourself. Guitar sounds ok to me and I like the simplicity of it with your vocal.  Congrats on 14, an accomplishment unto itself and testament to your dedication to this project.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 08:15:42 am »
Thanks Gareth and Dave for listening.

The bar chords works better and better, but I feel they still need much more work. I'll do what Gareth says and just keep playing them. This is a good song practice them.

Gareth: I have tried Dm with the pinky but my pinky is pretty useless. I have also tried to learn the G chord with alternate fingering using the pinky, with not much success at all. Pinky wont do what I tell him… Lately I have also practiced Blackbird which is good pinky training, slowly (very slowly) getting better.

#15 is also a bit delayed due to Easter holiday without guitar. Later this week hopefully I'll get some time to record.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »
Johan

I deliberately switched back to the thread in order not to see the video and hear the barre chord technique and not watch it . Guess what ? Sounded good to me and you know what they say about that ............

As DP says, we are often our own worse critics. Keep pumping these out.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:51 am »
Thanks Toby. Great feedback. Its very good for me to hear from others that my bar chords seems to be ok. I'll keep posting my covers here for sure. 
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 04:52:27 pm »
I think I prefer your stripped back version to the original. Though I have no idea what the song is about I really liked the tune, I think it's quite catchy.

Not realizing you'd linked the original I copy and pasted your YouTube title and clicked on the video for the top link which was a band (the same one?) performing this on a beach(?) and while to me, it had a bit of a cheesy vibe to it I still loved the underlying tune. Anyway, I preferred that to the 'heavier' version you shared in the link. :-[

This need to be covered in English so my lazy self can fully appreciate it. ;D
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 06:31:43 am »
Thanks Pilgrim. Yes it's a great song. Kent is arguably the biggest band in Sweden, but they broke up a couple of years ago after a career that started in the early 90's.

Kent have released a few albums in English (translated versions of the Swedish originals), but not this song. Their international career never took off though and their lyrics really dont work in English. Better not do a English version I think, I am not 100 % sure about the meaning of the song, but the lyrics are about unrequited love and sex desire so not really family friendly…

I found your link and that is not the same band, its a cover band doing Kent songs. Pretty cheesy yes.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App