Author Topic: Mr Jones - An Original by LBro & CT  (Read 923 times)

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Mr Jones - An Original by LBro & CT
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 03:33:24 pm »
Hi LBro ! I listened a couple of times, I want to say a great song, I especially liked the vocals and harp, the guitar is just as good, a great collab. You should continue in the same direction!

Mike

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 03:39:55 pm »
Hi,
This is only for those that like to think are "mix junkies" and or take a shine to mixing. After Mr Jones did his thing I dug out a set of calibrate headphones that are "guaranteed" to be flat within 1% on the frequency response. Then I remixed that Jones guy. The result is below.

NOTE: Per Roman's suggestion that I totally agree with I wanted to update the OP video to a mix that was better than the original. To my surprise I was still able to edit the original post. So it was updated. I put notes below and on the OP to that effect. Sorry for any confusion. If you have any questions feel free to ask away! - LB

To me one mix really stands over the other, though that may be dependent on what you like.

Let me know what mix is better in your ears?

The choices are Mix: 303
https://youtu.be/fuxYGcDKHok

and

Mix: 203 - The actual end product (old original version - now obsolete) I will leave this up for a bit in case you want to hear it, then it will die) in the video at YT
https://youtu.be/IuXIm7jAL7M
============================== EDIT ==========================
Ok,
Before I can't edit this message any further her is the last mix I experimented with. Per the Roman post and my reply this pushed the vocals back a tad. But the R Guitars & Bass are very in your face to me. It also has the original concept song guitars that actually was probably better than my replay on the final mix for MJ. Not saying this mix is great or all of it is leveled out. But to me it is interesting:

Mix 603:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1__YToH55b-auj5Aefr3JlyNpHP2M4ZMB/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance if you take part in this one,
LBro
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:15:56 pm by LBro »
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:59:25 pm »
Hey Bro

Saw the earlier post and hats off for getting that high and smooth, with those background vox. Enjoyed the overall package immensely.

BBE could be a while but its getting there, just not settled on a key that's not too low (Lee Marvin style) or too high I crack up. So experimenting a bit.

Keep banging out these originals, as they keep getting better.  8)
Well Tobly - I have a question: What is the hold up man on BBE? I have a real hankering to hear it!  ;)
Take your time, The Who are like fine wine. They get better as they mature. I am sure you will do them right and with justice. I will be waiting though!

The backing chorus is probably only an octave apart. A lot of folks can cover 2 octaves if they try. So it was in my wheelhouse. But where it shines is with the multitude of blended tracks. Try it. Just turn on 20 closely tracked vocal tracks. You can't copy them. They have to be individual and they need to be fairly tight but not terribly so. I do it by looping the chorus in a loop and doing 20 takes or so in a row. Visually I look at the results and kick out any waveforms showing they (the tracks) are not matched timing wise. This can be done with possibly as few as about 5 tracks. But over ten makes angels come to life on my girls when I treat them this way. I discovered this one by mistake when I had all the tracks turned on long ago and hit the playback button. All the sudden the heavens opened up and out came my girls singing like a choir of angelic beings. I think I first used it on Fly Lacy Fly - The Eagle Song.

Cheers and thanks for the kind words!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 04:07:11 pm »
Hi LBro ! I listened a couple of times, I want to say a great song, I especially liked the vocals and harp, the guitar is just as good, a great collab. You should continue in the same direction!

Mike

Oh my gosh Mike,
You were brave enough to listen twice? I thank you! LOL
Mike I have to go the same direction... as I don't know how to do much different than this. Though maybe if I enter the contest I will try something new.

Thanks for the kudos on the harp and lead guitar play. I know that coming from you, CT will be grateful to hear that! I still love what you did on 'Picture' long ago and still think that is some fine guitar work there. I had one guy in a band down in San Diego tell me he listened 12 times because of your solo and how you used delay (I think it was) to such a neat end result. So a tip of the hat there!

Take good care and hoping to soon hear your work again!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline schlaffenwagen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 05:05:37 pm »
Hi Dave,
Great progress in songriting and mixing :). 303 is 200% better than 203. Looks like earplugs pulled out of my ears :o
Stick to 303 sound and keep on rocking 8)
Cheers,
Roman
Keep on rocking!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 06:07:57 pm »
Hi Dave,
Great progress in songriting and mixing :). 303 is 200% better than 203. Looks like earplugs pulled out of my ears :o
Stick to 303 sound and keep on rocking 8)
Cheers,
Roman
Well Roman - When I wrote this one and put it together I did not think you would be around on it. But your the one guy I would really value to have listen to it. You confirm my findings. But I sum it up a bit different. To me it is if the mud fell off the 203 mix and it morphed into 303. Much brighter and the guitars can finally be heard. I took it further up to mix 603 and tossed in my original concept R Guitars that I and others thought were the best on this project.... hum - Result - Very tasty and the bass & guitar levels were further brought up. That is just a short segment. If anyone wants to hear that let me know and I will post a link.

Thanks again for checking in and taking this little detour, then commenting!
LB
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:08:50 pm by LBro »
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:28 am »
I had a blast playing my parts and working with @LBro. Just a fun project all the way around, and what a rocking crunchy tune. If any one here gets an invite to do a collaboration with @LBro, jump at the chance. You'll learn a lot and become a better musician. Thanks @LBro, it was a total pleasure!     

EDIT: Put me on record for liking Mix 303 as well.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:52:21 am by CT »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 07:39:21 am »
If any one here gets an invite to do a collaboration with @LBro, jump at the chance. You'll learn a lot and become a better musician. Thanks @LBro, it was a total pleasure!     

Couldn't agree more Clint.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:23 am »
Bro - Think 603 goes to another level, then 303 follow way back by 203.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 12:06:06 pm »
I had a blast playing my parts and working with @LBro. Just a fun project all the way around, and what a rocking crunchy tune. If any one here gets an invite to do a collaboration with @LBro, jump at the chance. You'll learn a lot and become a better musician. Thanks @LBro, it was a total pleasure!     

EDIT: Put me on record for liking Mix 303 as well.

Thanks for the nice comments Clint! I am so glad you really "got into" the project the way you did. I think at first you were unsure about this new "play in an exact spot or time window" stuff that was needed for the project. Then like the lightbulb going off you saw they "why" of it. At least that is kind of how I saw it from my end. At any rate it was a pleasure to do this one with you. Hope to work over Jones with you in a futuristic sequel! If this one turned out fairly good then the next will be great!  :)

I did more work on mix 303 and it is now posted in the OP links! I think it came out much better that way.

All my best as you rock on down the road!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »
Bro - Think 603 goes to another level, then 303 follow way back by 203.  8)

I kept messing with the whole deal of 303 -603, changing the OP links a few times. Took my a while as I kept finding improvements along the way. Finally came to a place I was happy with the mix and that is posted in the OP links as of mid day yesterday. I had no idea when my OP edit window would close so I was working very fast, in the end that slowed me down as it is a lot of rendering to produce and post at YouTube. But now it is done and all that get to hear it now I think will be getting a much improved version and take, on that Jones creep!

At the end of the day, the new links posted in the OP are what I call a "balanced mix". I mixed it to where all could be heard equally as much as possible using ver accurate cans and then pushed the vocals up just a tad, to put them ever so slightly on top of the mix... that is it.

I sure have to thank Roman on this one. First he told me a few days ago about how to make the guitars better cut through the mix. That was in response to my email to him on it. Then he took the time to compare mix 203 & mix 303 versions and that input gave me the incentive to improve the mixes and repost.

If anyone wants to know what Roman suggested on the mixing guitars to "cut through a mix" let me know and I will get permission from him to post that info in the sake of better mix techniques....

Rock on and mix well,
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 02:49:57 pm »
Oh my gosh Mike,
You were brave enough to listen twice? I thank you! LOL
Mike I have to go the same direction... as I don't know how to do much different than this. Though maybe if I enter the contest I will try something new.

Thanks for the kudos on the harp and lead guitar play. I know that coming from you, CT will be grateful to hear that! I still love what you did on 'Picture' long ago and still think that is some fine guitar work there. I had one guy in a band down in San Diego tell me he listened 12 times because of your solo and how you used delay (I think it was) to such a neat end result. So a tip of the hat there!

Take good care and hoping to soon hear your work again!
LB
Hi Dave,  thanks for the kind words, our "Picture" collab is also very dear to me, it was great, thanks to Leo, who invited me then to participate, it was my debut on the forum .. and I think that maybe in the future we will have something like that together will do! :)
Give my best regards from Russia to a guy from San Diego !!

Mike

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 04:04:10 pm »
Yeah, 303a is a really nice mix. Love it!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 04:34:55 pm »
Yeah, 303a is a really nice mix. Love it!

Thanks Clint. I thought I was done with the Jones project on Monday. But there never was a good feeling about that original posted mix. I took some time on it too. I waited a day for the ears to clear but could not get it going as I wanted. In the end I think my wanting to keep the vocals over top was overkill and once I put in Roman's guitar suggestions, then got to trust I could really level them up. It all began to sound better I think.

At least now it sounds better IHMO and the project is in the rear view mirror.

Rock on!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud