Author Topic: Acoustic Guitars Options - Think I have it down to 4  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: Acoustic Guitars Options - Think I have it down to 4
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 01:11:13 pm »
This whole cheap/expensive thing is often skewed by high profile brands.

Taylor and Martin make wonderful guitars. They also come with a big brand premium, because they are known for it, are made in USA and pay US wages to make them.

I bought a Martin copy, made by Sigma in China, Martin sold the rights to Sigma to make their designs. So a 'legit' copy. It was 1/4 the price of the Martin and sonically I couldn't tell a diff.

Plenty of other not as high profile brands make great guitars, inexpensively - not cheap. Yamaha is a huge seller in the school student market, but their next level range are totally solid. They are an excellent choice for anyone wanting to make a safe purchase.

Seagull, Guild, Crafter etc also make very good guitars. But ultimately YOU decide what is best for you. You go on how it sits, feels and sounds. Don't get blinded by a big brand, cos others can do it just as well.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:46 pm »
You didn't have Yamaha in your original list that why I didn't recommend them.
As an experienced play (40+years) the two brands I recommend to beginners
the most are Yamaha and Seagull. The third brand is Epiphone.

As Drubbing said Yamaha makes inexpensive guitars to a very high standard,
not cheap guitars. Yamaha's expensive guitars rival any produced any where in
the world.

Seagull are of the same high standard and are keepers for life. Every person I
know that has started on Seagull still has it. Even tho they have purchased
higher end guitars.

Epiphone gets a bad rap because they are owned by Gibson. As an owner of
2 Gibsons and an Epiphone I can tell you the stories you hear are not true.
They make very good guitars at a reasonable price.

@OrangeDog
Yes there is a big difference between a $200 guitar and a $500 and once you
can hear the difference you will wish you had put that $200 towards a $500
one.
I'm glad your friends advice to buy a 200 guitar worked out for you. In my
experience there is a direct connection with the price a person pays for
their first guitar and how some they quit playing or how soon the move
up to the next level.

Offline OrangeDog

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:57 pm »
@stitch101

Thanks for the comment. Whether or not I "will wish I put that £200 toward a £500 one"... only time will tell. But you know what, I'm happy now with my £200 guitar and £300 in the  bank. And if/when I want a new guitar that £300 will go toward it and I will either keep, sell, or gift the £200 guitar to my son. So I don't believe I will regret my decision. I also believe that there are some £200 guitars that would give some £500 guitars a real run for their money. But I am only a beginner so what could I know.

Bottom line is if someone gets a guitar that they like, they enjoy playing, and it progresses them along their guitar journey... well, that can't be a bad thing can it?

Sent from an alternate reality

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 10:35:32 pm »
My advice is keep trying guitars until you find the one where you can’t leave the store without it, and then buy that one.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 03:12:17 am »
Yeah, it's definitely all about finding a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it. And that means what rings *your* bell is important. Sound, feel, looks, and even brand can all be significant factors. For example, if there are two guitars that sound/feel/look the same, but one says Martin and one says something else, and that "Martin" branding makes you want to play that guitar -- for whatever reason --, then it might be worth the extra money, to you. No one can make that judgment but you.

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 03:14:26 am »
My advice is keep trying guitars until you find the one where you can’t leave the store without it, and then buy that one.

Funny thing tonight.  I did go out to try playing some more guitars, include Yamaha.  One Yamaha was not bad at all and @ $199 I was surprised how nice it seemed.  I also saw an Ovation and tried just because it looked odd compared to the others. But truthfully, that Ovation sound pretty dang good.  I didn't walk out of the store with anything but think the Fender Hellcat (still a nice guitar for $349) is off the list as is the Taylor 114e (decided I wanted to keep both kidneys) - as that was just pushing the budget envelope a little too far.  Did play it tonight too, and it is really nice.  Just not so sure it is 300-400 dollars nicer at this point in my journey then the others.

So what did I learn tonight?  Well for one thing - that there are a number of really sweet guitars out there in the (low) 200-600 (high) dollar price range.  But as of this writing I think I am down to the Seagull S6 and the Taylor Academy 12 with going out and trying a few more Yamahas.  One Yamaha I did not like was the Hummingbird.  I had heard some high praises for it and was disappointed when I tried it. I even went back to it a second time to see if I just didn't give it a chance. 

So, the goal is get that guitar that I can learn with and grow with and not feel like I have to go out and "upgrade" in a year or two.

Would like to wrap this up in the next week or two.  Thanks you all for the suggestions, advice and education.   Keep it coming if coming if so disposed to do so.  Much appreciated.

Oh, P.S. - I forgot to mention that I also took a pair of Martins out for a spin.  The 00LX1AE and D JR10. Just happened to see them sitting there and figured I would give them whirl.  Any one know anything about them?  First time I ever picked them, but seemed quite playable and nice. Certainly different the the S6 and Academy.   Whoa boy, I think my head is spinning. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:39:28 am by 1stGuitar »

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 05:16:09 am »
The Martin 00LX1AE is made of patterned high-pressure laminate.
Which is arborite. The same thing they make cheap counter tops out of.
Great to paddle your canoe with.
These should be a $100 guitar but you are paying for the name one the
head stock.
I know nothing about the D JR10. My advice is never buy the bottom end
of Martin. Their entry level guitars are cheap, made of everything but wood
and priced 5 times higher than they are worth.
Martin guitars above $1500 are worth looking at but their $1500 and below
shouldn't have the Martin logo on them.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 432
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 08:12:39 am »
If you can find them, check out any Faith guitars.
Also check out Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 MCE. All solid wood. Cutaway. 2x in-built pickups. Plekd neck. Very comfotable to play and good sounding.

Offline OrangeDog

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 08:52:38 am »
@1st guitar

It sounds to me like you are 95% there with your decision. Does that Seagull have you under it's spell yet? Or maybe the Taylor will edge it...  :)

From what the experienced guys have said it sounds like either would be a great choice.

One thing I do know is that the guitar you will play is the one you have sitting at home looking at you, not the one hanging on a hook in the guitar store.

It's probably time to go for it and bring that thing home.

Good luck mate. It's been fun watching you go through this process. Thanks for involving us.

I'm thinking about getting a new electric pretty soon, so I may be taking a walk in your shoes :)

Sent from an alternate reality

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:59 am »
Another one to consider?

https://www.bestacousticguitarguide.com/yamaha-fg720s/

The first and only guitar I owned. I have no plans to change its a real nice guitar. Maybe not as sexy/cool as a Martin or Taylor but a real good instrument for both beginners and more advanced players.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 02:28:48 pm »
Echo Close - Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 MCE -  but that's because I got one  :D lovely to play, nice tone and  pickups work well.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline 1stGuitar

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 01:53:26 pm »
First off, want to wish everyone a Happy Easter (or Passover)!

OK, I don't really mean to revive this post from the past but I do have another question.  I went down to GC to go play guitars again before making a final decision when pulling the Seagull S6 off the wall the sales guy that happened to be in the room pointed out the Seagull Entourage CW QIT.  Both guitars are on sale for their "Guitar-A-Thon" sale at $349.99 (S6 Original) and $449.99 (Entourage).  In hind site, I was just there to play and compare the ones on my list and pretty dumb of me, never pulled the Entourage off the wall.  Now I'm sorry.

Anyone familiar with it?  Any thoughts? Is it worth the extra 100 bucks (cutaway and electronics included)?  I am done to a final couple guitars and will be buying something with a week or so.  Just want to buy the right one.

As always thanks for your education and insight.

One on last thing ... I just got back from taking the dogs out for a walk.  As I was outside with them, there was a flock of seagulls in the sky yacking up a storm.  Could it be a sign ....  ;D  LOL ...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:32:27 pm by 1stGuitar »

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 03:05:32 pm »
Unless you're going to be doing some gigging at open mics or such, you don't really need an acoustic guitar with QIT. If you're just going to play for family/friends/yourself, there is no need to plug in really. The S6 Original would do quite nicely. IMHO.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »
Have you checked on bying a second hand one.Some buy them and relise that they don,t want to. Just a thought.You could bring someone who knows guitars.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline robsin

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 10:27:42 pm »
I didn't see Breedlove mentioned. I got a stage concert cutaway and really couldn't be happier. I'm no expert by any means, just beginning. But it feels great, it's not as big as a dreadnought (thinner) and I think they have a number of models within your price range.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App