Author Topic: Low E problem  (Read 385 times)

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
Low E problem
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
When tuning my low E string I find that when using any kind of tuner I never get a solid, unwavering, E. Instead, as the note dies, it goes switches between a little flat and a little sharp oscillating back and forth.

Is this a problem with the nut? I know that if the string is too tight in the nut that can cause tuning problems like when you turn the machine heads and nothing happens and then you hear a slight 'ding' and then the string is suddenly too sharp/flat but this isn't what is happening in this case.

This has happened ever since I got the guitar and I've changed the strings recently.

Offline simon3142

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
Re: Low E problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:02:41 am »
Some simple things to try:
See if you get a better result if you tune to the 12th fret harmonic. The tuner may find it easier to lock onto the higher pitch.
Try muting all the other strings in case any stray resonance if confusing things.
If your stings are very old that can cause tuning difficulties but if you changed your stings recently, that shouldn't be it.
Gear: Aparicio AA30, Ibanez AS103, Simon&Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo, Cube X20
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/simon3142

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Low E problem
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:28:48 am »
Also - have you stretched the strings fully?
Even if you have, it is always worth warming your strings a little with some sturdy muted strumming, taking the strings a bit flat, stretching them out will some firm but controlled raising, then tuning to pitch.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App