Author Topic: Justin's one-to-one lessons with Tammy  (Read 14460 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
Re: Justin's one-to-one lessons with Tammy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 04:38:11 pm »
I'd like to bring this to the attention of every one. Justin has started a new set of
videos like he did with Lee with his friend Tammy.
She is more of an acoustic singer song writer (where Lee was electric blues).

It doesn't matter what stage you are at  if you haven't watched Lee's(The Captain's
Privates) lessons and the Rut Busters with Captain Lee Anderson.
Do so. It will help you with your own struggles and give you a good method to work
thing out when you're stuck. It's not what he's teaching that's important.
It's how he gets Lee and  Tammy to learn that is important. Even if the videos
are to advanced for you, you will get a better understanding of learning.

Do the same with Tammy's lesson as the new ones get posted.
Watching how Justin works with students will really help every one with their own
lessons and struggles.

All three of lessons can be found in the Playground section of the site.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 05:19:06 pm »
Good vibes for calling it out Stitch.

I can only echo your recommendation.

Offline hilts17

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:23:03 pm »
They are great videos. Just today, I watched video #2 with Tammy.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:32 pm »
The Tammy videos are first class and I look forward to more in the series. I enjoyed watching Justin working with a student and reacting to the ‘live’ student playing. Very different from the usual lessons where he’s talking to the camera and getting no reaction from the ‘virtual’ students. I’ve  never been that keen on the Lee/Captain video lessons. Too much dialogue about what Lee feels about things and I’m afraid I lose interest. Only my opinion of course!
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 06:20:28 pm »
Aaaarrrgghh!  >:( >:( >:(

Why did I take your advice and start watching?

One minute in and Justin has already told me I have to change all my guitar strings because the colour has changed  :(

Do most people on the forum follow his advice and change strings every 4-6 weeks?

Does this require a new thread?

Are there more shockers like this to come or should I continue watching?

Spoilers welcome  ;)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »
I only change my strings when the start to sound bad and won't stay in tune.
That being said my favorate string only last me about a week before I need to
change them so I use Elixir Strings. They are pricey but last me months not weeks.

Offline savarezguy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 07:05:14 pm »
Great news about new lessons. I will watch them real soon!

Strings ... change every month? I remember on my classic guitar the bass strings started to unwind and then I had to change ...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:51:35 pm »
Good call for linking this Stitch.
I guess not everyone follows Justin on social media / youtube etc - or even if they do they may have hundreds of posts in their timelines and miss the goodness.
:)

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 03:53:39 pm »
Lesson 3 now out. I’m really enjoying this series of lessons as I’m currently consolidating my BC before moving onto the Intermediate Course and the ‘Tammy’ lessons are a perfect accompaniment to this. Thank you Justin.
The thing I’m struggling with is Justin’s suggestion to record things. I’ve only done this on my phone and it’s pretty hopeless. Now he’s talking about things like “the click track on the recording software” but hasn’t explained what that is and I haven't a clue what he’s talking about! Do I need to buy a recording studio? (I know I don’t) but I think he’s suddenly assuming I as a student/viewer know all about this. Presumably he knows Tammy understands and has recorded stuff. I also realise I am a ‘fly on the wall’ watching a lesson tailored for a particular student.....but still.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 05:06:09 pm »
I am not fully sure (did not watch his lessons with Tammy properly) what precisely he said but recording yourself is definitely a way to go, to hear your playing (and to be able to hear what needs improvement). For this purposes, a phone is perfectly fine. To be honest, I am recording all of my practice sessions because this is the time when I get the most creative, so those quick ideas get recorded before they are gone.

From your question, I assume that the debate in the lesson goes towards playing with a metronome. If that is the case, you can still record yourself using the phone but you might to use an external metronome so you can hear if you're playing in time. But you definitely do not have to buy any recording equipment/software as long as you have a smart phone/any kind of audio recording device - even old school dictaphones do the job.

Once again, I did not watch the lesson properly, so do not take my answer as fully competent.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:33 pm »
The thing I’m struggling with is Justin’s suggestion to record things. I’ve only done this on my phone and it’s pretty hopeless. Now he’s talking about things like “the click track on the recording software” but hasn’t explained what that is and I haven't a clue what he’s talking about! Do I need to buy a recording studio? (I know I don’t) but I think he’s suddenly assuming I as a student/viewer know all about this. Presumably he knows Tammy understands and has recorded stuff. I also realise I am a ‘fly on the wall’ watching a lesson tailored for a particular student.....but still.

Yeah, from what he was saying in the lesson, his comments on recording are directed more to Tammy than to you, the viewer. He mentioned Logic (audio recording/workstation software on Mac) to her, in passing, in a way that suggests he already knows that she uses Logic to record. So his comments to her assume some familiarity with recording and using Logic, in particular. He also mentioned "Transcribe!" which is software (for Windows, Mac, and Linux) that can play back recorded audio at different speeds (without changing the pitch), as well as do some basic recording.

The "click track" is referring to a metronome click within Logic (or similar DAWs -- digital audio workstations).

For basic "record myself and listen back," there's no reason you can't just record using your phone. The audio quality may or may not be very good, but it should work for the purpose (i.e., listen to yourself to identify problems you should work on). Record yourself with a metronome going to best identify issues with your timing.

A step up from using the phone would be to use a microphone connected to a computer (e.g., a USB mic or an XLR mic connected through a hardware audio interface) combined with some audio recording software. For basic recording, The Transcribe! software should work fine. Another option would be an application like Audacity, which records/edits/plays audio, and allows you to record multiple tracks (among other things).

The most full-featured option would be a DAW like Logic, REAPER, Ardour, Bitwig, Ableton, et cetera. Those are more advanced, or even professional, tools with a lot of features and a higher learning curve. They're overkill for "just record myself and listen back," but they're great if you're actually recording and producing mixes with multiple audio tracks (e.g., 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals) for distribution.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 07:22:00 am »
Thanks for your replies guys.
I’ll give the phone/metronome combination a go. You’re right of course, the sound quality doesn’t matter, it’s a means to an end.
I may eventually splash out on some ‘proper’ recording kit. Then when some record company executive hears me play.......

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 10:50:14 am »
Did someone say there's a little bit of house-keeping to do around here?

Given Richard's unwillingness to tidy up his gaff properly, I'll add a new question regarding Tammy's lesson 5.
(I asked this on YT and Justin's web-site, but no replies, so consider this triple posting!  ;) )

"I'm puzzled about the backbeat section about 25 min 20 sec in: I thought the kick drum was on the first and the snare drum on the third beat in 4/4 rock-pop, not 2 and 4 as you suggest.
Are you sure you're not just muting every beat on 3 (where the snare would sound)?"
(It's probably easier to just watch the section than have me try to explain what he's describing)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 04:50:01 pm »
Hi Brian
I'm no drummer....but I think the kick and the snare can be anywhere. There are as many variations as you can come up with splitting a bar into 4, 8 and 16. I think its most common for the snare to hit on 2 and 4. Dum ka dum ka.
Maybe someone who knows can tell us.
G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:57:53 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 325
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 05:15:29 pm »
I think you are on the money, Gareth.  That is the basic pop-rock pattern.  And from there you can embellish ... say dum ka dum dum ka etc etc and that is still just playing 1/8s.

I know this is becoming a drum chat, rather than a Tammy chat ... nevermind ...

I use a free drum VST plug which has a lot of pre-set grooves.  So if you record to a click track and play in good time, can add some reasonable sounding drums without knowing too much about drumming ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:56:51 pm by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 567
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 09:00:38 pm »
The back beat is 2 and 4 - the snare hits on 2 and 4

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 214
Re: Justin new set of lessons with Tammy
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 09:01:10 pm »
A backbeat can be on any beat but the one.
All it means is to accent a beat that usually isn't accented.
So beat 2. 3 or 4 can be a backbeat or any combination of the three.
The snare usually falls on the 2 and 4 but that isn't written in stone either.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »
I love this forum-
You can ask really basic questions and people point you in the right direction  :)

I am, however going to blame my big brother for my ignorance on this one:
When we were teenagers, he took up drums to play in a couple of rock & punk bands in school. It looked like fun and he showed me some of the basics- However, the guy he learnt from taught him to count in fours, but that was the eighth notes, so I have spent the last 4 decades thinking it was 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 instead of 1 & 2 & 3 & 4.
I guess it didn't make that much of a difference if you weren't writing it down.

Learn something new every day...  :)

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »
Loving this series of lessons. Perfect level for me. I feel as if I’m getting private lessons! Thanks Justin & Tammy.

Offline pumukk

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 05:50:29 pm »
Next lesson coming soon?

Offline WhereTheStreetsHaveNoName

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 05:08:40 pm »
I am so glad I landed on this topic.

Thoroughly enjoying Justin's lesson to Captain.

So insightful on why Justin wants us to practice the way he advices in his tutorials (example Scales with Metronome).

Useful videos despite of whatever stage you are at.

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 11:19:31 am »
Update:
Tammy lessons 13 & 14 are up on Youtube, but not the site yet.

Offline Steffen1310

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 07:00:58 pm »
Hello, does anyone know the strumming pattern that Tammy is using in lession 1?
Stay healthy.

Sent from my BND-L21 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App