Author Topic: "15 years playing"  (Read 543 times)

Offline Fresher

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
"15 years playing"
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:33:35 pm »
Good morning everyone,

So yesterday I took my acoustic guitar for that adjustment that I mentioned in another thread, and something funny happened. The guy that talked to me told me that you put your fingers in the middle of the fret and not close to the fretwire. I said:

- Of course not, you put your finger close to the fretwire, not on top of it, but the closest possible.

And he said:

- I have been playing (guitar) for 15 years.

Meaning that he knows what he's talking about. And then I thought "man, this guy has been playing wrong guitar for 15 years" ;D

But I thought "hmm maybe he's right? I only know what I see on the internet but the fingers close to the fretwire makes so much sense".

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
Re: "15 years playing"
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:08 pm »
Close to the fret is best, down the 12th fret that’s probably near the middle but up by the headstock it would probably result in needing more pressure to get it to ring out properly which could result in being slightly sharp.
Distance and pressure are the main things to get the note to sound right, not too far away from the fret and not too much pressure.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:58 pm »
It's easy to pull the note sharp if you press down too hard in the middle on frets near the nut. Especially true if your nut is a little higher than it should be.

Offline Fresher

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:30:15 pm »
Close to the fret is best, down the 12th fret that’s probably near the middle but up by the headstock it would probably result in needing more pressure to get it to ring out properly which could result in being slightly sharp.
Distance and pressure are the main things to get the note to sound right, not too far away from the fret and not too much pressure.

Yeah that makes sense!

Offline Fresher

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:31:36 pm »
It's easy to pull the note sharp if you press down too hard in the middle on frets near the nut. Especially true if your nut is a little higher than it should be.

Hmm interesting, but the general advice is close to the fret isn't?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:42:23 pm »

I think that's the point: fretting near the middle of the fret can cause problems, which is why you should be fretting close to the fret wire.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:03:45 pm »

I believe Justin says so in one of the very first lessons of the Beginner's Course*

Of course, you could take the (bad) advice of a bloke in a shop who's been playing for 15 years instead...

<edit>

*Here it is at 1:00 in

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-d-chord-bc-111

Follow. The. Lessons. Otherwise Justin may as well not have bothered making them.  ???
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Fresher

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 05:49:22 pm »
I believe Justin says so in one of the very first lessons of the Beginner's Course*

Of course, you could take the (bad) advice of a bloke in a shop who's been playing for 15 years instead...

<edit>

*Here it is at 1:00 in

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-d-chord-bc-111

Follow. The. Lessons. Otherwise Justin may as well not have bothered making them.  ???

Calm down man, I'm just commenting.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:20:02 pm »
I'm perfectly calm.

In the years that I've been coming to this forum I've got used to people asking basic questions that Justin answers in his lessons.

This suggests that 'some' people can't be bothered to follow the lessons, for whatever reasons.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Fresher

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 07:29:29 pm »
I'm perfectly calm.

In the years that I've been coming to this forum I've got used to people asking basic questions that Justin answers in his lessons.

This suggests that 'some' people can't be bothered to follow the lessons, for whatever reasons.

I understand, but don't worry because I'm a perfeccionist with some OCD, so...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 437
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:41:33 pm »
For some chords, where the finger placement is a squeeze, like A with 3 fingers, of necessity not every note can be played next to the fret wire. But it is where you should be looking to get your fingers.
The 15 year dude may have 'mis-spoke'.

Online J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:38 am »
Yeah, best place to fret a note is right behind the fret. But there's some wiggle room. (Count your blessings that the guitar has frets; on something like a violin your finger placement needs to be precise or your intonation can be significantly off).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App