Author Topic: Going to buy a fender bullet squire strat is it worth it  (Read 627 times)

Offline Arno

• Good Vibes 0
Going to buy a fender bullet squire strat is it worth it
« on: April 08, 2019, 09:29:33 am »
Pls....

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Going to buy a fender bullet squire strat is it worth it
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 11:28:45 am »
The Bullet is the cheapest of cheap Squier guitars and is an 'avoid' unless you must or 'avoid' unless you have lots of spare parts and the ability, willingness and time to swap the cheap, rubbish components for better ones and the tools to make the guitar play reasonably well.

For Squier do not go below Affinity.
Standard is better.
For alternatives look at Yamaha Pacifica, Vintage VS6.

Also, check lots of threads in this section:

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=79.0

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:36:51 pm »
Yeah as close2u says, there are better Strats out there than the Bullet. It's very much an entry level guitar and one that you will want to replace sooner rather than later.

On the plus side it means you'll spend very little if you don't persevere with the guitar.
On the negative side you may not persevere with that guitar.

I'm a total beginner too but ended up buying the Squire Vintage Modified. Yes it's more money than the Bullet and the Affinity but even as a beginner I can feel the quality difference even if I can't really hear it yet.

Am I happy with the VM? For the money, yes. As a guitar in general, no, at least not before it's had a proper set-up. Having previously owned a USA Standard Fender Strat many years ago I can see, feel and hear where money has been saved on Squires. I know I won't truly be happy until I've bought a better guitar but the VM is way more than enough for me until then. I honestly think that if I had bought a Bullet instead, I'd already be saving for a replacement after a few months.

Only you know how much commitment you have to learning guitar, how much musical knowledge/experience you already have how much spare time you have and therefore how quickly you might pick it all up. If you think or want to progress quickly you may well find you outgrow the Bullet sooner than you'd like. Any guitar is better than no guitar but if budget is an issue (when isn't it?) consider the second hand market but ideally take someone with you who knows what they are talking about so you don't get ripped off or buy one with a warped neck and rusted electrics.

Offline jhob

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 12:47:06 pm »
I bought a bullet as my first electric, and after some extensive setup work I'm now really happy with it. 

However I had to do all of this to get it in anything like playable shape:

* File down the sprouting fret ends
* Take down the nut height (although now replaced with a graphtech nut)
* Adjust saddles for action & intonation
* Adjust truss rod

I also polished the frets, although that wasn't totally essential.

Now it plays really nicely.  The pickups seem reasonable for the price.  The tuners on mine are pretty decent and not fiddly to use.  It stays in tune well.  There are no high frets on mine.

Learnt a lot about fettling and setting up guitars in the process!

So if you have the skills, you can turn them into a good player, just don't expect them to be like that out of the box.

Offline jwtiger

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »
Glad to see I am not the only one who has one.  While I am new to playing and would love a more expensive guitar I got a crazy deal on one used with an amp, case and electric tuner.  So I couldn’t say now.  Especially with a small budget.  At some point I will upgrade but for now with me only being on stage 3 it suits me just fine. 

I am currently looking at Martins acoustics and possibly an American made strat in the near future.  I figure once I finish the beginners course I can reward myself. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:22:57 am »
I am currently looking at Martins acoustics and possibly an American made strat in the near future.  I figure once I finish the beginners course I can reward myself.
That sounds like a nice plan, and those are nice rewards! Solid choices.

Offline jwtiger

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:36:55 pm »
That sounds like a nice plan, and those are nice rewards! Solid choices.

Thanks!   I have a long journey ahead and think after at least a year I should be done with the BG.    Not only that but having a small budget makes it hard.  So I have to save up over time anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App