Author Topic: What is your goto jam song?  (Read 741 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
What is your goto jam song?
« on: April 08, 2019, 03:33:36 am »
I would offer that these would be songs that most skill levels can appreciate and quickly come up to speed with, and have a bit of something extra that makes it cool to jam to.

Let me start off with these really cool two chord songs for consideration:
1. Feelin' Alright - Amaj-D7, capo to your desired vocal range. Folks won't come in unless you can belt it.
2. Jane Says - Gmaj-Amaj, embellishments o' plenty to be had here.

C'mon Kings and Queens of the BBQ, what's your goto jam?

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
Re: What is your goto jam song?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:16:54 am »
I had my first jam yesterday. We did a bit of preplanning which went out the window. I can't remember everything we played but I remember Proud Mary was a success as was Hit the road Jack. We're doing it again soon so I'll be interested to see some suggestions on this thread. Oh we also played shotgun.....for the kids.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:28:33 pm »
I don't know if I'm qualified to participate because I've been playing longer than
most members but maybe this will give others some ideas.
I don't do electric jams any more, the ears can't take it. Take care of your hearing.

If I'm jamming with friends all my age (mid 50s early 60s) it the standard 80s hair
band ballads. Patience - GnR, Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison, Lynyrd Skynyard
has lots of song that tranlate to acoustic very well, Bon Jovi has a few Tragicly
Hip.

If I'm jamming with mostly country players the usual Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson etc
and I like to throw in stuff not from the stone age like People Are Crazy-Billy Carrinton
The wife like to sing Pontoon-Little Big Town, House that Built Me-Maranda Lambert
Fishing in the Dark-Nitty Griity Dirt band and Amie-Pure Prairie League alway go over
well.

If it's just the wife and I doing the entertaining around a fire. She likes to sing
Blues songs by Bessie Smith and Etta James, songs by Heart and the old stand by
What's Up-4 Non Blondes. Acoustic Clapton, Acoustic Led Zeppelin, Skynyrd,
a few GnR and what ever else pops into my head when it's my turn

If there are little kids around We Are Going To Be Friends -White Strips always goes
over big.

There are alwaythe usual stand by tunes people want to hear from the Eagles and
the Beatles, American Pie-Don Mclean, Good Riddance-GreenDay,
Into the Mystic-Van Morrison. I could be here all day but I'm at work..

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 04:33:39 am »
@Garfield, first jam? Sweet. I've never had two jams that were the same, even with the same folks. I always try to break out something new every time. There are no bad choices if everyone gets into it.

@stitch101, solid choices. Not much there for new players, so if your group is pretty seasoned it should be a rollicking good time. It's really cool to have a jam with experienced players. Sometimes when the cocktails flow, it's kinda nice to have two to three chord songs to fall back on. :)

I have a jam buddy that likes to do his own originals, which really keeps me on my toes.

Hope that others will weigh in on this. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac can be played with just F & G, and with a great singer in the house it can be a real zinger.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 05:05:10 pm »
Actually CT a lot of those song can be played using open chords.
Anyone who has truely followed the BC could sit in with most of the
people I jam with.
If you leave out the fancy bits most are just 3 or 4 chord progression.
A good sence of rhythm is needed but for anyone who can find patient
advanced plays to play with, I highly recommend jamming with them.
Don't be scared everyone of us was a beginner at some point and most
are willing to help out when we can.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:37:44 am »
@stitch101, gotcha. Didn't mean to be too dismissive. There are always entry points for newbs. "What's up" is for sure an easy and great BBQ rocker if someone can belt the vocals. 

Offline Shuttersparks

• Good Vibes 0
    • Shuttersparks
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:53:20 am »
I'm having a blast with this. I'm not new to music at all (piano and other instruments), but new to the guitar. When I reached the Beginner 7th chord step is when the wheels of the airplane left the runway. I can't stop playing. I go for six hours straight sometimes and play every day. I printed out chord charts and am just going crazy. What a blast this is!  I'm so irritated I didn't do this years ago.

Anyway, to the topic. I happen to like Robin Trower and it turns out Bridge of Sighs is easy as dirt and sounds awesome. It's slow and provides a great basis for experimenting with riffs. There's a little tutorial on Bridge of Sighs by "papastache" on YouTube that got me going.  It sounds cool even without any effects pedals.

Also, Purple Haze is surprisingly easy. The E7#9 chord is not hard and you can pick up Hendrix's easy movable major chord method as a bonus. For the main theme of Purple Haze, you need the E7#9 plus the Hendrix style G and A chords.

Thank you, Justin!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App