Author Topic: Which Studio Monitors  (Read 325 times)

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
Which Studio Monitors
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:38:37 pm »
So I'm looking to buy some new monitors for my home studio and I'm a little in two minds as to which route to go.

I currently have a pair of passive speakers with 8" drivers (not near field monitors) which I've had for years and love the sound of but unless I sit further away from the computer, I'm out of the stereo image and am too near the speakers and don't get the right tonal balance.

Hence the need for near field monitors. I'm currently looking at the Dynaudio BM5MKIII's which we use in a couple of our studios at work and which I do really like the sound of and the Yamaha HS8's which seem to get good right up's and favourable responses from owners. I've not had a detailed listen to them but what I've heard sounded good but that was only at high listening levels. The BM5's I've heard at high and low listening levels and know very well.

The BM5's use a 7" driver with a frequency response of 42Hz – 24kHz with a Max SPL of 118dB peak, a crossover at 1900Hz and 50W going to the Tweeter and 50W to the Woofer.

The HS8's use a 8" driver with a frequency response of 38Hz - 30kHz, a crossover at 2000Hz and 75W going to the Woofer and 45W to the Tweeter.

Primarily I use my studio for spoken word, voice to picture but, now that I'm learning the guitar, I'd like to use it for music. Whilst I do have a guitar amp I do find myself mainly using Amplitube (own) and Guitar Rig (on trial version) simply because I can get the sound of a driven amp without waking up the whole house or the neighbours. But in using these programs I find that the bottom end can get very boomy. Whilst I do own a subwoofer I don't want to connect that up as it would just be too much and would definitely disturb the neighbours.

The BM5's are, I think, better suited to my normal needs but the HS8's might be better for guitar but equally could be too big a sound for near field use.

Any thoughts, anyone use the BM5's for guitar or similar spec speakers?

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: Which Studio Monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »
I havent tried BM5s but as a HS8 user, I cannot recommend them enough. It's quite late here at the moment so I'll put a longer post tomorrow if needed.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
Re: Which Studio Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:34:33 am »
I have HS8, as well, and have no regrets: they're excellent.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App