Author Topic: Mental Hell - Ramones - cover  (Read 878 times)

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 25
Mental Hell - Ramones - cover
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:53:53 pm »
Hello guys

The original song comes from the album Animal Boy, I bought this album when I was 15 year old after watching the movie "School of Rock" with Jack Black. I loved this movie and have watched it nearly hundreds of times.. There is one really great track from the Ramones in this movie "My brain is hanging upside down". I bought the album for this particular track.
But there are some other catchy songs like this one: Mental Hell, which is not really famous. Every time I am not in a good mood, I feel down, or when I am sick, I find myself singing this line "I am not feeling very well" ! Haha

I started to work on the project alone in a time where I was not feeling very well then, in the same kind of basic punk song (well.. close to original).  Then I sent my stuff to Roman (Ramones -> Ramon -> Roman ). Well.. Roman was feeling pretty well on his side and he had a lot of ideas about this song and felt really inspired. He came up with that awesome drums and wanted to change the groove ! And he had me think about doing something really different for chorus. I am not really sure I did what he was thinking about, but I felt inspired too one night and came up with that calm melodic chorus.
The next morning, and pretty quickly, Roman or Ramone I don't even know anymore  ;D, nailed that freaky bass line. I was really surprise to see he did all the bass track just like that, while I... was still sleeping haha  ;D ::). Awesome !!  Then I reworked all my electric rythm guitars to fit the groove better.
Then long hours for Roman on the mix to get the best he could.
And that's pretty much the whole story of the song guys. We both worked a lot on this and we are glad to present it to you now.
I am the only one in the movie but really Roman work just as much as me (even more I think), even with the movie he gave me ideas ! So I want to say a big thank to Roman, always a fantastic experience to work with him, I learn a lot, and I love the fact that we were creative on this cover and have something different from the original song, I owe this to him.

I hope you will enjoy this, we had a lot of fun.

Love

Cagn

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Mental Hell - Ramones - cover
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:13:58 pm »
Another fine production ... great music, great video ... loads of fun to watch.

Take a bow, Kevin and Roman.

And yes, School of Rock is a classic :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 152
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 12:12:01 am »
great work guys; you're truly a household name by now :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:56:33 am by LievenDV »
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:20:49 am »
Hey Kevin, I think there'd be many who can relate to their 'brain hanging upside down'. How well that phrase captures the dark night of the soul that often accompanies the human journey. I'm sorry you've been feeling low and I hope after this production you are feeling very well. Isn't music a powerful means of expression and often a catalyst for getting our brain hanging the right way up?

Roman is a generous genius, no doubt about that. He has so much talent and puts so many hours into the productions. I love the way you two guys are working together. Inspirational.

There's something about your voice in this production that has changed. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe because you weren't feeling very well you've had to dig deeper to find more tones and textures. Like Roman, you put many hours into your music and it supports the development and expression of your talent. Whooo did I see/hear some slide in there?

In many ways I hear this as one of your most powerful, creative productions Kevin.

I hope you're still working towards doing live gigs. The world needs to hear you sing and play.

Awesome.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:18:57 am »
Cracking video and production … a sub-3 minute slice of rocking up & rocking down.
 8)

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:12:48 am »
Awesome! You gave this classic an original spin, and it rocks!

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 04:02:01 pm »
Just loving this Kevin, another piece of magic!...... with slide guitar?  :o Music and visuals in perfect harmony again. Everything sounds bang-on and that chorus is an excellent diversion from the heavy guitar work, it’s a real “ear worm”. Some lovely visual touches, especially the x-ray/negative effect: awesome!
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 25
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 05:21:08 pm »
Thanks so much for the positive feedback and comments guys, I love it.

@Maggie
for the voice, it's pretty rare that I sing with a really soft voice as in the chorus. And for verses Roman used a plugin which made the voice a bit "weird" a bit more mental hell haha. I had to experiment slide guitar for another project (you may know about it  ;)) and I thought this could be cool too in this one  ;D

@Steve
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your message. I went for new experimentation in this video like those x ray and I am pretty happy about it.   ;D

Thank you guys, I am glad you liked this one

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 11:24:49 pm »
Kevin,

Looks like you've been well and truly Schlaffed.  ;D

The combination of the mix meister that is Mr Shootov and you're artistic flair for performance and creativity for the video, makes this a piece of magic. How Roman throws those drum and bass tracks together is still a mystery to me despite our few colabs but this is a real sweet mix/production and sounds uber cool to my old ears. As to your guitar work and vocals, as always Cagn you are utterly professional.

Congrats guys on banging out a stonking Ramones classic.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 12:34:23 pm »
you guys rock.What a treat, wonderful work by both of you!

Hope you're already feeling better, take care of yourself! Making music definitely helps from my experience :)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 01:40:31 pm »
Another good performance by you both. I can relate today myself. Aura migraine. A flashing, moving kaleidoscope when I close my eyes. This morning aching joints all over - that part must be age related. But yeah, music can help! 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:27 pm »
I always look forward to hitting play on your videos to see what production genius you've come up with. This one is another outstanding one. You have so much talent and I love to see it displayed like this. Everything about your playing and singing is spot on.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 11:28:45 am »
Hi,
Never heard this one, but surely it rocks... Great production, mix, play, video and vocals. Nice assortment of guitars that sound out great tones. What is not to like and like I do!

Rocking Cheers all around,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 03:39:59 am »
Hey, Kevin, that is one wild video to go with the music.  Another great production and another step forward ;).  Nice one by you and Ramone  ;D.

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 11:18:12 am »
Hello! Great vocals and guitars, although this band is not from my playlist, but I received an excellent charge of cheerfulness, a great cover!

Mike

Get The Forum As A Mobile App