Author Topic: 2019 Cover #11 (Don't Look Back In Anger)  (Read 410 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #11 (Don't Look Back In Anger)
« on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:34 pm »
Love this song. Hopefully it shows in my performance. The playing is not as good as I would like, but its a more difficult song than last weeks rendition  (Knockin' on Heavens Door). Quite many chords and some tricky changes in this one.

Tried to play and sing in original key, but the vocals is just too high for me. Use a capo on 4th here and sing lower. Works ok but I would like to sing it a bit higher, think that would fit my voice better. Gets tricky to play with capo higher up though, so I went for capo on 4th.

https://youtu.be/kZIWAYDrUtk
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: 2019 Cover #11 (Don't Look Back In Anger)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 11:28:08 pm »
Johan

Solid cover overall. Appreciate anyone who is singing and playing, especially not in their native language but you did a really great job on this one. Man I'm impressed with the volume you're pushing out these recordings. Well done a good vibes

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 09:25:19 am »
Good job on this, Johan.  I know you love these Oasis songs and always get that feeling in your performances.

Personally, I love watching your strumming.  You look totally relaxed and get into a really cool 1/16 note groove on these Oasis songs.  I like the way you accent different strings and I think I heard a little percussive muting as well. 

You also kept going in the one or two moments when the chord changes were that slight bit awkward, such that it really didn't distract and cause it all to fall apart.  So as a listener I'd not remember those moments when thinking about the performance.

Well done on sticking to your regular recording schedule.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:44:27 am »
Nicely done Johan.
I'm currently teaching this to one of my students.
A couple of pointers I picked up whilst watching …
The verse & chorus start C - G/B - Am

You play a full on big G chord. An easier and smoother transition is to just play G/B from the C chord and play only from the 5th string down. You want to make the C - B - A descending bass run stand out.
Also, at times you hold your hand up top and stop it moving rather than playing a steady down - up  down - up strumming motion. This works most of the time but occasionally I heard / saw you having to try to catch back up with the beat where there were some quicker accented strums.

Good stuff.
:)

If you can play this, try Imagine

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 02:50:17 pm »
Solid performance there, Johan, on number 11.  Are you learning these songs as you go along or do you already have them in your learned folder??  You seem really comfortable with all of them so far, and sounding good.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:35:53 pm »
I was going to post this! Only I never get round to practising it enough to get it in the can. I'd never noticed the vocal being that high but then I'm not sure I've ever sung it the whole way through.

Look you handled this well. Changes were smooth singing was in tune. Sounds a bit different to my version I don't know what strumming I use but it's different.

Well done on no 11 I'm very  impressed that you're doing this I don't think I know 11 songs.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:38:28 pm »
Oh meant to say @close2u I think Johans playing the version Justin teaches. It's the same way I play it. I don't play a walk down to the a minor either.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »
Oh meant to say @close2u I think Johans playing the version Justin teaches. It's the same way I play it. I don't play a walk down to the a minor either.

It's a while since I watched Justin's lesson.
I didn't mean to play the bass run as single notes.
Just to play the C chord, G/b chord and Am chord as 5 string chords so the descending bass is prominently heard.

Offline sunjamrblues

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:26:01 pm »
Nice job, Johan.  Nothing wrong with using a capo - many singer/guitarists use them all the time.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
It's a while since I watched Justin's lesson.
I didn't mean to play the bass run as single notes.
Just to play the C chord, G/b chord and Am chord as 5 string chords so the descending bass is prominently heard.
I'll try it tomorrow. Not something I'd thought to do but I can see how it would work. Tomorrow I'll see how it sounds.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:47 am »
Thanks Toby, David, Richard, Dave, Gareth and Sunjamrblues for listening.

Toby: Thanks for the vibes and glad you like my playing and singing. 

David: No percussive mutings in this one, at least not intentional. Thanks for the nice words about the strumming, I worked hard with that and its getting better.

Richard: Thanks a lot for the advice on how to play the song. I think Noel plays it like you say (with a G/B instead of a full G). I'll try it. What fingering would you recommend for the G/B?
About the strumming I am really not aware of what I am doing. But I can see my hand sometimes  is making a small pause when I am missing a beat. I know I should keep moving my hand instead , I'll work on that. Imagine, yes there are some similarities for sure...

Dave: All the 11 songs I recorded so far I knew more or less before. Just some repetition to polish them up and learn the words.

Gareth: Thanks, now I am really eager to hear your version. Especially since you said its different. The vocals in this one are quite demanding for me, the chorus is too high. But I guess you can sing it an octave lower, but does not sound good at all when I try that.

Sunjamrblues: Thanks, yeah a capo is very useful and I guess 99.9% of listeners does not care about which key the song is played.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:21:18 am by Loefgren »
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 01:19:10 pm »
... What fingering would you recommend for the G/B?

3 choices - I tend to use the first of these.

numbers = fingers not frets.
Frets are 2 on A string and 3 on B and e strings.

e  --  x  --  4  --  4 --
B  --  4  --  0  --  3 --
G  --  0  --  0  --  0  --
D  --  0  --  0  --  0 --
A  --  2  --  2  --  2  --
E  --  x  --  x  --  x  --

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »
Solid job here Johan. You continue to impress me as each week goes by and you roll out a new song. Vocals and strumming are on point again. Very pleasant to listen to. Well done!
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:16:04 am »
Best performance yet.

I think I may be saying that with each and every one of your songs! And if I am, I guess to my ears I'm hearing constant improvement with each passing recording. But in attempt to try and clarify, I thought this was your most assured and confident performance yet. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 4

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 03:19:49 pm »
Thanks Hilts and Pilgrim. And thanks Close for the fingerings on the G/B, I also like the first one best.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App