Author Topic: Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)  (Read 639 times)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:21:24 pm »
Three or four weeks ago LBro suggested I give this one a try.  He's suggest a few for me to try over the past couple years, and it seems my ability level wouldn't get me to any of them.  So I figured I'd give LBro Brown Eyed Girl, the easy version, chords and vocal.  LBro said Justin had a lesson on it.  Well,  the chords are easy, but that's about it.  The vocal phrasing was really a challenge for me.
Anyway, after learning the chords, I felt it needed that bass intro.  Learned that.  Then, well, it needs that little intro guitar lick - easy to learn, not so easy to get up to tempo.  See where I'm going with this??  This song totally consumed me for about a month now. 

Then, after getting it together, Reaper crashed and left me with fragmented and truncated files which took me a full day to try to put back together.
Then I realized I didn't have a lick before the bass solo, so learned that (sort of) and inserted it.  Rendered a file to test on my devices.  Came back to make final adjustments and was greeted by a Windows message "Windows has encountered a problem, is collecting information and must restart your computer", which it did without closing any apps.  Fired up Reaper and BEG was GONE.

In the middle of all this I had the flu for 2 weeks and then a relapse.  Geez, does it never end?  Okay, too much info.

Thanks to LBro for a second set of ears on this one.  His time and contributions really added to it.   He hasn't heard what ended up as the final.   While I'm not 100% satisfied with it, considering what I went through to get this file, I'm happy with it.  Hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-288721425/brown-eyed-girl-2

Feedback always welcomed.

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:31:39 pm »
OK so you’re not 100% happy? 99% I reckon? It’s great man! I mentioned to Mari before that I was looking forward to her doing some writing, surely you’re ready for that? Your covers are so accomplished, it must take so much work to get them sounding this good. Nice one!
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:23 pm »
Another delightful production,  Dave. Great vibes you got going here. Glad you persevered through all the technical mishaps. Highlights for me... bass, licks, vocals, overall tones.

Only question on my mind was off centre drums and bass which maybe muffled the guitar on left side ... as I was hearing. But this is my taste, not a suggestion of a flaw.

Well done, fine work !!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:41:38 am by DavidP »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:47 pm »
Dave what a soldier you've been! So many obstacles and to top it off a double dose of the flu. You sure do have tenacity. Sincere admiration and respect to you fine sir.

This is a mighty fine piece of music. I'm glad you gave us the detail.

Your voice doesn't quite sound like yours yet, but it's still heaven to listen to, as is your playing. Thankyou for persevering.

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:28:54 pm »
I'm more Jim than Van Morrison, but this is really good.
Fab production all around.

Weirdly, the vocals reminded me of Frank Zappa. (That's a complement, by the way  :) )

Do many more of these and I may yet be converted to Mr. Grumpy from Norn Iron.

(Oh yeah, vibes for being a trooper)

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:59:45 pm »
Ok, so I saw that this was a post for Brown Eyed Girl and I said OK, we've all done this song at least once. And given that it a Level 1 (White) song, I was expecting to see "Started by Newbie666".
Well imagine my surprise when saw "Started by oldhead49"  ???  I thought to myself "well that's a bit below his pay grade". Needless to say when I heard it I was blown away. That was a great job. Loved it.  Great work.
BTW, you must be one stubborn man to persevere through all of what you describe. Appreciate you staying with it.
Glen

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:18:14 am »
Brilliant.  Smooth and easy, great vocal, and the instruments were spot on.  Loved it  8)
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 07:09:10 am »
Great performance Dave, nothing to be critical about at all. Really enjoyable to listen to and you definitely did it justice, great stuff - keep them coming 👍👍👍
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:28:06 am »
Hey Oh,
Seems I asked for a little and got much more back than I was thinking would come my way. Boy, you really cleaned this up a ton since I heard it. Very nice rendition for sure. Your vocals and play would make any cover band proud I think IMHO. Simply sweet!

This only took you a month? Ha, I guess your were just getting started. Welcome to the club of working harder on songs than you ever did in a day at work. As I have said in the past, it's a lot of work for 3 minutes of audio.... So where is the video? LOL, just kidding on that one. I would hire it out to Kevin....  ;)

Everything was great in this and I really think you captured BEG well. But I like the spunk in your vocals the most perhaps....

Well time to start looking ahead and here is a unique request as I don't think I have ever heard anything covered from this artist before on the forum. But when I hear your vocals and think of his, well I come to feel you would do a great job on a classic. This one is totally up to you and don't feel obligated as it may be there is too much range here to pull it off on the vocals. But what do you think of something by blue eyes? Maybe Strangers In The Night, or NY NY, since your kind of from that way... Frank would be smiling at you I am sure! This is a very difficult "suggestion" because possibly there are not many vids on it??? I frankly have not looked, but there you have it.

Take care and happy to lend an ear in the future, any time.
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 02:51:22 pm »
Sounds really good Dave, great playing (are you playing both the bass and the guitar parts)? Vocals sounds fine. Sweet, keep em coming. 
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 03:02:31 pm »
Great recording Dave and enjoyed listening to that.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 04:15:13 pm »
OK so you’re not 100% happy? 99% I reckon? It’s great man! I mentioned to Mari before that I was looking forward to her doing some writing, surely you’re ready for that? Your covers are so accomplished, it must take so much work to get them sounding this good. Nice one!

b1rd, ok 99%.  :D  Writing?  I've done a couple.  You heard the one in Critique.  Hmmm.  I appreciate you think my covers are accomplished, but there are others on the forum who really excel in putting together covers and mixing.  Listen to some of Roman's work.  I would consider my stuff more garage band.  This one took more work than usual just because of the crashes of Reaper and Windows.  Glad you think it sounds good.  Thanks for the listen and feedback.

Another delightful production,  Dave. Great vibes you got going here. Glad you persevered through all the technical mishaps. Highlights for me... bass, licks, vocals, overall tones.

Only question on my mind was off centre drums and bass which maybe muffled the guitar on left side ... as I was hearing. But this is my taste, not a suggestion of a flaw.

Well done, fine work !!

David, I appreciate your kind comments.  I wasn't thrilled with the bass.  Maybe I need to buy a real one ;)  Off center drums and bass.  When LBro heard the first pass, I had the organ on the left and he pointed out on  Morrison's Blowin" Your Mind album it was on the right, so I went back and listened to the version he was referring to.  After listening to that I tried to sonically place the instruments, whistle, handclaps as were on the album.  I don't think there is guitar on left on the album.  My left guitar was left over from the original chords and vocal only that I started to do, and I left it in there to fill some space.  Maybe I should have dropped it or pulled it back some. Good observation on your part.   Thanks for the listen and good feedback.

Dave what a soldier you've been! So many obstacles and to top it off a double dose of the flu. You sure do have tenacity. Sincere admiration and respect to you fine sir.

This is a mighty fine piece of music. I'm glad you gave us the detail.

Your voice doesn't quite sound like yours yet, but it's still heaven to listen to, as is your playing. Thankyou for persevering.

Hi, Maggie.  Well, I don't know about soldier.  More stubborn, I guess.   :)  Yeah, the voice still isn't back and still sounding nasal, but this one had to get out the door.  Glad I posted when I did or it would have been a complete re-do.  Not even fun to think about.   I appreciate your listen and feedback.

I'm more Jim than Van Morrison, but this is really good.
Fab production all around.

Weirdly, the vocals reminded me of Frank Zappa. (That's a complement, by the way  :) )

Do many more of these and I may yet be converted to Mr. Grumpy from Norn Iron.

(Oh yeah, vibes for being a trooper)

Brian, I'm a "Jim" fan too.  Wow, Zappa singing a Morrison song.  That's fun.  Don't worry about being converted;  I think this is the end of VM  for a while.  Thanks for the trooper vibes.  It's on the mend.  And thanks for listening and commenting.  Truly appreciated.

Ok, so I saw that this was a post for Brown Eyed Girl and I said OK, we've all done this song at least once. And given that it a Level 1 (White) song, I was expecting to see "Started by Newbie666".
Well imagine my surprise when saw "Started by oldhead49"  ???  I thought to myself "well that's a bit below his pay grade". Needless to say when I heard it I was blown away. That was a great job. Loved it.  Great work.
BTW, you must be one stubborn man to persevere through all of what you describe. Appreciate you staying with it.
Glen

Glen, This started as a Level 1 chords and vocal but the challenge of trying to learn it more of a cover really grabbed me.  It ended up being more of a challenge than I had anticipated.  But I learned a great deal on this, and that's important.  Stubborn is accurate, and my wife would agree.  ;D  Thanks for the kind words and listen.

Great performance Dave, nothing to be critical about at all. Really enjoyable to listen to and you definitely did it justice, great stuff - keep them coming 👍👍👍

Darrell, Thanks a bunch.  Glad you enjoyed it and think I did it justice.   There will be more, just not VM, at least for a while.  I need a break.

Hey Oh,
Seems I asked for a little and got much more back than I was thinking would come my way. Boy, you really cleaned this up a ton since I heard it. Very nice rendition for sure. Your vocals and play would make any cover band proud I think IMHO. Simply sweet!

This only took you a month? Ha, I guess your were just getting started. Welcome to the club of working harder on songs than you ever did in a day at work. As I have said in the past, it's a lot of work for 3 minutes of audio.... So where is the video? LOL, just kidding on that one. I would hire it out to Kevin....  ;)

Everything was great in this and I really think you captured BEG well. But I like the spunk in your vocals the most perhaps....

Well time to start looking ahead and here is a unique request as I don't think I have ever heard anything covered from this artist before on the forum. But when I hear your vocals and think of his, well I come to feel you would do a great job on a classic. This one is totally up to you and don't feel obligated as it may be there is too much range here to pull it off on the vocals. But what do you think of something by blue eyes? Maybe Strangers In The Night, or NY NY, since your kind of from that way... Frank would be smiling at you I am sure! This is a very difficult "suggestion" because possibly there are not many vids on it??? I frankly have not looked, but there you have it.

Take care and happy to lend an ear in the future, any time.
LB

LBro,  Yeah, this ended up being more than I bargained for, but glad you think it's a good cover.  There were a couple more things I wanted to do to try to polish it up, but after the Windows crash I was done.

Blue Eyes?  Are you kidding? Haha.  Maybe after some voice lessons. ;)
Thanks for the listen and generous feedback.  And thanks again for lending your ears and comments on this as it developed.  It's a much better end product because of your input.  I appreciate it.

Sounds really good Dave, great playing (are you playing both the bass and the guitar parts)? Vocals sounds fine. Sweet, keep em coming. 

Johan, Thank you for the kind words.  Yes, I'm playing everything, bass, guitars, whistle, organ, drums through the keyboard, and hand claps.  Well, the bass is actually my guitar and using an ocatave drop and EQ.  I wasn't really satisfied with that, but it's really hard to replicate a real bass that way.  Thanks for taking a listen a great feedback.

Great recording Dave and enjoyed listening to that.

Rossco, Thanks for stopping by, taking a listen and commenting.  It's apprecated a bunch.  I saw your comment on SC, too.  Thanks.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 06:02:42 pm »
Brilliant.  Smooth and easy, great vocal, and the instruments were spot on.  Loved it  8)
Sweed, my apologies.  I didn’t mean to miss you when I was responding to everyone.  Thanks for taking a listen and very kind comments. This the one that all the riffs started at 60 bpm. What a pain.  Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 11:48:13 am »
Hi again there OH,

OH - Blue Eyes?  Are you kidding? Haha.  Maybe after some voice lessons. ;)
Thanks for the listen and generous feedback.  And thanks again for lending your ears and comments on this as it developed.  It's a much better end product because of your input.  I appreciate it.

No kidding from this end. Just pick one of his songs that don't go crazy on range, or possibly drop it down to get there. Have you not sung along with New York, New York? - You can do this....  :D

OK - So LBro will not leave you without a little incentive. I think you could take this rendition from campfire to nice composition:
https://youtu.be/vm7eXtDfU48?t=32

Bro a waiting - Hope it is not forever long!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 11:53:18 pm »
Dave

Have had this on hold and glad I kept this on my to listen list. OH you did a really good job in all aspects. Playing singing and production. Really came across clean and tight. So congrats on the work you've obviously done to get this, its a really good cover IMHO.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App