Author Topic: Stage 3 - Radioactive  (Read 658 times)

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
Stage 3 - Radioactive
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:01:51 pm »
Stage 3 done and dusted, kind of. Much still to work on but I thought I'd show where I'm at. I honestly (and probably naively) thought I'd be further along than where I am after 6 months but I'm enjoying the journey none the less. :)

So here's my usual YouTube offering to display technique and a SoundCloud file with vocal thrown on top for giggles. It's really annoying and frustrating when you hit record and your mind goes blank but after a few attempts and having decided to play along to a track I came up with the following...

My wife ever brutally honest told me my singing sounded better at Stage 1 than here but in my defence I was tired and just wanted it recorded and out of the way. ;)
https://soundcloud.com/pilgrimpod/radioactive

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to swing by and have a nose! 8)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Stage 3 - Radioactive
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Hey Pilgrim, good to check in again.

I'd say you are making good progress.  Chord changes look pretty clean and smooth.  Your strumming is quite even in terms of tempo and dynamic, keeping the hand moving.  You could keep that hand moving in the bits where there are skipped down strums.

I enjoyed your singing.  I enjoy your voice and the relaxed feeling and vibe coming through in your vocals.

So keep at it and you'll keep making progress. 

Well done !!

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:33 pm »
Pilgrim, I believe we all would like to be ahead of where we are, but slow and steady wins the race. I have just recently realized that the more I learn, the easier it gets to move forward.  That being said, I think for 6 months you are doing fine and sounding good. I noticed you were looking away from your fretting hand at times too when changing chords.  On the SC file I thought you did well. Just putting the chords and vocal together is major, and the levels between guitar and vocal sounded good and well balanced. Looks like you are off to a solid start.  Good vibes to you (when I get back to my computer) for  posting this. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:55:19 am »
Hi Pilgrim,

Solid strumming, good tone.  Chord changes are very good.  Keeping anchor fingers in place makes for efficient playing, very nice  :) 

I think I said to you before, keep singing.  You have a good voice, there is a depth and resonance that pokes it's head out from time to time that is pleasing to the ear. The more you sing, the better it will get and the easier it will get to make your voice do what you want.  It's no different than guitar IE vocals need practice too. 

Stick with it, keep posting.  You're definitely on the right track.
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:33:30 am »
Hard when the beloved isn't one of your greatest fans PP, but hey, you've got fans here. You're making great progress. It's clear you're approaching this in a methodical way and that will provide you with a strong foundation. I like your singing voice a lot.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:34 am »
Well done Pilgrim. Both strumming and chord changes technique looks good to me.

I really like the tone coming from your guitar. What mic are you using?

Singing has potential to be really good, your voice is very pleasing to the ears. On the right track for sure, good performance for 6 months in.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »
Well done buddy!

Strumming is nice and steady, and chords are ringing out nicely. The tempo stays steady throughout, you got good natural timing which is such a great skill (I struggle with this a lil!)

The vocals are great, this song tests your range a little, but let me tell you the more you challenge yourself vocally the better you'll get. I've definitely noticed a massive improvement in my own voice.

All in all youre doing fab mate - you're on the cusp of things becoming more fluid and natural in general as your confidence increases.

Well done Pilgrim!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:07:32 am »
Hey Pilgrim, well done!
I can't add anything to the feedback above, it's already pretty detailed :)

I honestly (and probably naively) thought I'd be further along than where I am after 6 months
I guess that's how most of us have felt, but it's important to take the time you need especially when learning about the fundamental stuff :) It will definitely pay off!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:22 am »
You’re doing fine, all of us learn at different rates, all of us struggle with something or other on the way - just carry on the way you are and all will be good!
So many (uneducated) people think that learning guitar is easy, they are so wrong; it’s quite a complex instrument to learn and requires techniques that very few other instruments do, take your time follow the course and have fun in the process.
On your performance there’s only one thing that I would say you should look at, keep your strumming hand moving - hesitating in places leads to loss of timing, it’s a small but important thing to stick to at your stage.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45:47 am »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share advice and offer words of encouragement. :)

You could keep that hand moving in the bits where there are skipped down strums.
This is something I'm actively trying to do but for some songs I'm trying to learn it just feels easier/natural to stop moving the arm. Fingers crossed there will be some improvement when I share my song from stage 4.

I really like the tone coming from your guitar. What mic are you using?
It's a Blue Yeti. I bought it a couple of years ago for online gaming and streaming.

The tempo stays steady throughout, you got good natural timing which is such a great skill (I struggle with this a lil!)
I'm trying to work on my timing but here I cheated as I was playing along to the song. See that little cable poking out of my ear?! :D

On your performance there’s only one thing that I would say you should look at, keep your strumming hand moving - hesitating in places leads to loss of timing, it’s a small but important thing to stick to at your stage.
I'll definitely try and keep that hand moving whilst I work on stage 4. :)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 03:35:35 pm »
Nicely played pilgrim. I thought the chord changes looked good and you kept the tempo at the same level. Always good to record these early songs and then look back and see how much you've improved. You'll find if nothing else you'll be able to play it faster which this song probably needs. Quite like Imagine Dragons...the new album is pretty good.

That is probably why you're struggling with the singing a little.... you naturally want to sing a little faster at the tempo of the normal song. In terms of singing practice it separately to your guitar. Sing along as much as you can in the car etc. You will see an improvement as it sounds like you've got some rhythm there.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 11:59:45 pm »
Pilgrim

Don't worry about what the other half thinks, this was a solid performance and the tempo was steady throughout. Keep rockin away. If its any solace my wife hates one of my favourites songs that I cracked out here singing and playing and it has had 1600 plays on Soundcloud. Good enough for me. If you think its good and it sounds good.
Its good.

Keep plugin away.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:18 am »
Quite like Imagine Dragons...the new album is pretty good.

That is probably why you're struggling with the singing a little.... you naturally want to sing a little faster at the tempo of the normal song. In terms of singing practice it separately to your guitar. Sing along as much as you can in the car etc. You will see an improvement as it sounds like you've got some rhythm there.
I don't believe I've heard their latest album to be honest though I do have their first two. As for singing, I constantly have music playing which I sing along to and in my head I sound damned good! It's just a shame that reality hits home when I record and hit playback! I think it's like when you record yourself speak and you're like, 'I don't really sound like that do I?'. :D

If its any solace my wife hates one of my favourites songs that I cracked out here singing and playing and it has had 1600 plays on Soundcloud. Good enough for me. If you think its good and it sounds good.
Its good.
I'll try and have a rummage through your SC and find that 1600 plays bad boy. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Offline roulbac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:52 pm »
You’re doing fine, all of us learn at different rates, all of us struggle with something or other on the way - just carry on the way you are and all will be good!
So many (uneducated) people think that learning guitar is easy, they are so wrong; it’s quite a complex instrument to learn and requires techniques that very few other instruments do, take your time follow the course and have fun in the process.

I think darrel said it all here, steady and consistent work is all it takes!
'Don't aim for perfect, aim for progress' is some of the best advice i've had in life!
On a side note, I love the color of your guitar!

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 10:47:46 am »
I think darrel said it all here, steady and consistent work is all it takes!
'Don't aim for perfect, aim for progress' is some of the best advice i've had in life!
On a side note, I love the color of your guitar!
I'm stealing that nugget of advice! Stage 1 and 2 I was striving for perfect and getting frustrated with myself in the process. My fingers would just not do as I wanted (They still don't at stage 4)! I'm starting to lean more towards just trying to progress through the course, learn new things and hopefully over time and with practice I'll improve.

I'm giving myself two months per stage at the moment but can't wait to get to the consolidation stage at the end of the course just to see where I'm at and then decide whether it is worth carrying on beyond.

Thanks for the guitar love and taking the time to offer advice. Oh, and I'm glad I went with the mahogany guitar. :D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App