Author Topic: 2019 Cover #10 (Knockin' On Heavens Door)  (Read 368 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #10 (Knockin' On Heavens Door)
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:00 pm »
A bit delayed due to ski holiday but here is #10. I'm a big Dylan fan and gonna do more songs of him during year, but I am gonna start with the most well known one. Easy to play. The tempo is a bit higher compared to the original, but I like it this way. Some flaws for sure but pretty happy with playing and singing overall.

https://youtu.be/cF_xMxrSzEA
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
Re: 2019 Cover #10 (Knockin' On Heavens Door)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:15:57 am »
Johan, that was superb. I think that’s my favorite that I’ve heard you perform.  You seem to be developing a maturity in your vocals and your guitar playing. Congrats and well done on No. 10.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 05:12:36 am »
Trust you had a great time on ski holiday,  I'm glad you back with us sharing another song.

This is a really fine performance,  Johan. Great rhythm and feel, so relaxed and comfortable.  I agree with oldhead, I think your voice has become smoother, mellower over the course of the 10. I sense you are becoming more comfortable,  less stressed when singing.  This was most enjoyable to listen to and look forward listening again later with better quality playback.

I especially want to compliment you on your fretting hand. I noticed how your fingers stayed close together through the changes. Movement between chords was minimum, no big jumps, flying fingers etc. Excellent technique.

To stretch and take this one to the next level, which based on the quality of this performance,  I think you are sufficiently on autopilot to think and try, I suggest some embellishments.

I think some lifting and hammering on of either index or middle finger on the Am and C chords, especially during the instrumental portion, would add another facet to this gem of a performance.  You could start with either finger and work up to adding some variety or patterns using both.  Ultimately aiming to just let it happen without too much thinking as you get fully emmersed in your performance. Based on what I see here, I reckon you are ready for this.

Once again, congrats on a fabulous performance.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:29 pm »
Glad you're back I was worried you'd stopped at nine. Solid effort. I thought the vocal suited your voice. Only 42 left keep it up.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:58:28 am »
Brilliant performance Johan.  Things are starting to gel for you in both your guitar and vocals.  Nothing wrong with upping the tempo a bit and putting your own personal touch on a song, it worked quite well  8)
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:24:30 pm »
To quote myself from #9.
With each passing song your singing seems to improve. Guitar sounded good to my ears.
I think I echo others when I say the improvement from #1 to #10 is quite noticeable with regards to your actual performance. It appears (at least to me) you're growing in confidence with each passing song as it is visible in the performances you're sharing with us. Things just seem smoother and tighter. I can only guess this has came through regular recording and sharing of songs you're working on. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 4

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 03:53:13 pm »
Thanks Dave, David, Gareth, Sweed and Pilgrim for listening. I feel that confidence is raising a little bit for every cover I record and I am glad you can hear improvement from #1 to #10. The whole idea with this little project, is to improve (and to have fun). Your feedback gives me the motivation to continue recording and sharing.

David P: Thanks for the nice words on fretting technique. Lots of work behind it. But wait until I share a song with some more bar chords in it, things will probably not look as smooth…And thanks for the tips on spicing up the song, I have not worked much with suschords and hammer-ons etc, but I will try to incorporate that gradually into my playing.

Gareth: Thanks for wanting me back, I will not stop posting songs, hopefully I can fulfil the goal of posting 52 songs during this year. Almost 20% done.

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
    • YT-channel
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:28 am »
Well done Johan! I like the tempo :)

Which Dylan songs are we going to hear from you? Looking forward to them :)

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:38:40 pm »
Nicely played Johan. Whole package - vocal and playing - sounded very good. Very obvious you really like this one as there is some nice emotion in it.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »
Very nice! You are building confidence in your singing and playing.

I think you might be ready to try some embellishments as @DavidP suggested. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, single note picking, run ups and downs --are a good idea to incorporate as is some palm muting or even starts and stops. Continue to stretch and find your own voice.   

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 01:56:48 pm »
Thanks a lot Max, Rossco and CT!

Rossco: Yeah I like this song a lot, glad it shows.

CT: Thanks for the advice on techniques to spice up my playing. I have started to work with some of these, but I have so far not felt ready to bring them in to my recordings. Takes time to get these techniques solid.

Max: Dylan songs I have practiced a bit earlier, but never recorded are "Love Minus Zero/No Limit", "Masters Of War" and of course "Mr Tambourine Man" and "Blowing In the Wind". Really wanna do "Dont Think Twice", but dont think I have the skills for it, I can listen to your version instead  :)
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:18 pm »
What a remarkable difference in your playing, your presentation and your singing Johan. You look and sound comfortable, you flow along in the sound part of of it as you make it. You are a shining example of what practise and persistence can do. Well done!

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:32 am »
Thanks a lot Maggie!

Yes, if I look back 1 year or so its a big difference in my playing and singing. Its just takes a lot of practice time to get comfortable with the guitar and also singing always has felt very unnatural for me. I am not a natural performer at all (I guess very few people are really, its mostly loads and loads of practice) and really has to force myself to sing. Getting better and better though, but i am still not very comfortable singing when other people can hear it.

I feel now when I play the guitar I am much more relaxed then before, and I am trying not to use more force then necessary to fret and strum the strings. Everything gets easier and also sounds so much better when you are relaxed.

This was a pretty easy song though, when I play songs with trickier changes and more chords in it, I still have a tendency to tense up and things start to fall apart a bit. But the solution to this is just to continue practice so these chords and changes gets easy also.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App