Author Topic: Epiphone LP Special I, Epiphone LP Special II, Epiphone SG, Ibanez, Jackson, Telecaster  (Read 1243 times)

Offline xman1102

• Good Vibes 0
Ok, left Guitar Center and tried numerous guitars. Ultimately, I like Ibanez.  I like the feel and the reason I wanted to learn the guitar is I love 80's metal and it just felt like that's what I want.

I did try the LP Special and I liked it as well.  The Squire Stratocaster not so much.

I'll think about what I ultimately want to do, but I'm leaving heavily to Ibanez.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
Ok, left Guitar Center and tried numerous guitars. Ultimately, I like Ibanez.  I like the feel and the reason I wanted to learn the guitar is I love 80's metal and it just felt like that's what I want.
If 80s metal is what inspires you, it's hard to go wrong with Ibanez!  8)

Offline Swill631

• Good Vibes 0
I had an Epiphone Lp special 2, which I really liked in terms of playability, however I felt it would only be a keeper with new tuners and neck pickup (this is not me being picky, the tuners are poor and the neck pick up is muddy). In the end I sold it to fund a Dot (the quality of the Special impressed me enough to go for another Epiphone). The changes necessary are a bit of work or extra money to pay a tech. For my money I'd recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112 as a really good guitar for any level of player and for a number of styles of music. It's a guitar that can grow with you and is well made using quality wood. The routing (holes) where the pickups go will allow you to change to double humbuckers if that's the route you want to go sometime down the line. I've no experience of Ibanez, but I believe they're decent, I would stay away from models with a floating tremolo though (that's just my opinion, I had a lovely Yamaha RG421 but couldn't live with the floating trem - I'm not into heavy use of the trem, so it was of limited use to me in the first place. The Pacifica will be great out the box with no modifications, but might benefit from a pro set up, in fact it's a good idea for any new guitar. By the way, Vintage brand guitars are pretty good, I'm really happy with my Strat copy (V6) but it's not a heavy rock guitar, the do a version with a humbucker pickup at the bridge which would be more your thing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App