Author Topic: which one of this squier strats for a beginner  (Read 743 times)

Offline saruman1970

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
which one of this squier strats for a beginner
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:43:39 pm »
hi again.

I've found this two options:

SQUIER FENDER STANDARD STRATOCASTER SPECIAL EDITION never used at 170 (final sale)

or

STRATOCASTER VINTAGE MODIFIED
 used but in very good condition at 230 euro

as said I'm a novice so I'm looking for a very easy guitar to play

thanks
Andrea

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
Re: which one of this squier strats for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:24:19 pm »
Either would be OK, but if you got the standard you would have some money left over (compared to the price of the vintage modified one) to have it set up properly by a guitar tech, which would make it better to play.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:44:38 pm »
Not sure if this is the case for all Vintage Modified models, but some come with "Seymour Duncan Designed" pickups that should be better quality than the pickups on the Squier Standard range. In the long run that makes it worth the difference in price, in my opinion.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline MarcusHH

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 09:15:40 am »
Hi Andrea,
this one is a no brainer: Fender Squier Classic Vibe Strat 50's. Perfect workmanship - love this guitar!
Merry X-Mas!
Takamine GD51ce BSB
Epiphone SG Special
Line6 Spider IV 15W
Line6 Spider V60

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 11:22:39 pm »
Whilst too late for the OP this might be of use to anyone else looking to buy a Squire Strat.

On the plus side The Vintage Modified come with Seymour Duncan Designed pickups which, I think, sound nicer - closer sound of a 50's Fender Strat then other Squires with the exception of the Classic Vibe 50's. Not suggesting for a second that it sounds as good as a guitar costing 30x as much, it just doesn't sound as thin as say the Bullet or Affinity series do.

I also think the output is a little hotter on the Vintage Modified compared to the Bullet and Affinity

Also on the plus side the bridge is better on the VM compared to the Bullet. I think the VM has the same bridge as the Affinity Series, might be wrong but that's the impression I got.

On the 'downside', the VM has vintage machine heads which is no big deal but I don't think are as nice as the new ones. That said they seem to work pretty well.

However, the best sounding Squire (IMHO) is the Classic Vibe 50's which is definitely a very big step up compared to the Affinity and a smaller but still very noticeable step up from the VM. A very simplified description would be that the Classic Vibe takes all the good bits from the VM and replaces all the not so good bits with even better ones. I said it was simplified ;) I also think the neck felt better on the Classic Vibe. Both have the same C shape profile I just thought the finish on the Classic Vibe was a bit better.

Even though I really, really liked the Classic Vibe I ended up buying the VM 50's purely down to affordability. Do I regret it? Yes and No. Ultimately I knew that one day I would want to replace either guitar so it didn't seem to make much sense to pay more than I could really afford when the VM sounds far better then I can currently make it sound or will be able to make it sound for quite some time but whilst I'm getting there, it at least feels nice to play.

Offline Swill631

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:29:34 am »
Slightly off piste, and Andrea probably has her guitar now, but I'm finding the Vintage brand strat copy (V6)  much better than most of the Squires that have passed through my hands. I wouldn't overlook Harley Benton either if my Les Paul copy is anything to go by. The HB strat is only about €130 (mail order but with a good returns policy if you don't like it).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App