Author Topic: Worth considering a Yamaha Pacifica over a Squier Strat?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline volante5767

• Good Vibes 0
Worth considering a Yamaha Pacifica over a Squier Strat?
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:59:21 am »
Hi
  As i'm looking to get into Electric Blues playing [ currently intermediate Classical]
    I'm doing a lot of research on an affordable first electic, i know the old saying you only get what you pay for, so dont want to buy something too naff.
    As im heavily into the SRV sound/style, Strats are the first things i think of, Squire's of course due to affordability. But the Yamaha Pacifica V112 keeps springing up, gets great reviews, they are only about £220 new and can be had for a real bargain in used condition. I know you can get some great top end Squires, but i also think Yamaha is a good make and is also cheaper, just a bit different and i like that.
   Are they as good as the high end Squires? worth a buy?
         Many Thanks in advance.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 122
Re: Worth considering a Yamaha Pacifica over a Squier Strat?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »
IMO yes. The Pacifica 112V is an excellent instrument for the money.

In terms of quality, it's easily a match for most Squiers, certainly for ones around the same price or slightly more. Yamaha guitars have consistently good build quality; I've never heard of anyone getting a duff one. Squier, on the other hand, have a reputation for spotty quality across their ranges.

The Pacifica 112V is also a very versatile instrument, having not only the normal range of pickup options that you get on "S-Type" guitars, but also a humbucker in the neck which can be coil-tapped to act like a single-coil.

Beyond this, "better" starts to become subjective. Things like the look of the guitar, the feel of the neck, etc. are very personal. Also the sound of the pickups is important to many. The Pacifica has high-quality pickups but, if there is a criticism of the Pacifica 112V, it's the pickups don't have a lot of "character". Note that this is likely the case with most guitars in this price range.

Is the 112V as good as, say, a Squier Classic Vibe? That's debatable, but I would say probably not. But the CVs are getting on to twice the price.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline volante5767

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:52:06 pm »
Hi Keith
Thanks great advice, Thank you.
I'm aware of the CV, but at this stage, just testing the water so to speak, not willing to spend that much on a first electric.
  On the other hand my Nylon string Godin was £700+, I brought that in a heartbeat and love it, will keep it forever!
   The Pacifica seems like a good choice as a taster, who knows, if I end up loving electric I will most certainly upgrade in the future.
    Thanks again Keith and all the best.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:07:23 pm »
I own a 2017 standard squier telecaster and a roughly 10 year old pacifica 112. I got them both 2nd hand so I don’t know their history but the squier still had the plastic on the pickguard.

The squier has a couple of problems which bug me, the pacifica has no issues.

If someone was to offer me a choice between a free squier or pacifica I would take the pacifica.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »
The Squier range definitely hits its peak at the Classic Vibe level.
At the low end Bullets and Affinitys can be very hit and miss and unless 2nd hand at a good price, or modified and well-sorted by someone that has put in some work and knows what they're doing, then you could be happy or disappointed.
Pacificas are much more consistent in quality. Especially the 112 V range upwards.
Check this discussion on the Pacifica range.
You can buy a bargain Pacifica used.

Also - if you are lucky - you may see a 2nd hand G&L Tribute for £200-250 ish.

Definitely worth looking for.

Check ebay, gumtree, facebook marketplace and selling groups etc.

Offline volante5767

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:52:42 am »
Cheers Guys, just brought a used Pacifica 112V. :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:17:40 am by volante5767 »

Offline texassquarehead

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 02:52:54 am »
Pacifica is a better choice than a Squire.  I've seen both up close recently and the Yamaha simply is finished better.  Pickups while not as quacky are certainly still good for crunchy blues...

Offline Swill631

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:33 am »
Personally I'd go for the Pacifica unless you can afford the Classic Vibe Squire. Being a lefty I've bought a couple of Pacificas second hand unseen and posted to me. One had quality issues, the other was fine but sold on for a reason that escapes me now. However, for a really stratty strat sound my Vintage V6 is the overall winner, I'd have no qualms about getting another Pacifica though, great playing guitars,  but in my case it would be to modify to a different pickup configuration.  ::) Oops, I've just seen that you bought a Pacifica! A fine choice. Easy to swap out the pickups if you want some with more character down the line. I was impressed with some GFS Texas specials I had a while back (to put in a Squire Standard, the Vintage doesn't need them).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App