Author Topic: High Flying Bird - Elton John - Acoustic Cover  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 29
High Flying Bird - Elton John - Acoustic Cover
« on: March 13, 2019, 10:16:38 pm »
Hello  :D

I am currently working on acoustic covers to get a setlist for live playing. A good way to work is always recording and filming to get a "presence" which could be judging (even though it's not the same really). So I think I will post from time to time some acoustic covers I like to play.

This is not the kind of thing I usually post, but Elton John is really a god for me (well mostly the first part of his work, the 70s, I am not really into what he has done after), I love piano and get a lot of emotions from this instrument, and I love the way he sings too. This song is not really the most famous of his work but it's a really beautiful one, and I love it.

Well I hope you will like it. I love this song and playing it, it takes me to another place.

Kiss :-*

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: High Flying Bird - Elton John - Acoustic Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 10:34:10 pm »
I've been an EJ fan ever since "Your Song" came out back in 1970. Wow! I can't believe how long ago that seems! But I digress.

This is one of EJ's lesser known and underrated songs. A lovely song it is though. I really like your performance here. Your strumming and vocals sound bang on to me. Very nice. I may have to take a stab at this myself one day. Good vibes for this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:24:17 am by hilts17 »
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 11:30:24 pm »
So glad you're getting a set list together for live performance Kevin. An important step for you and you're ready for it. This song has heart and I can feel and hear it in the way you sing and play. Some of your bass notes are so rich. I think there's more yet to be developed in your singing voice, much more. I love the simplicity and directness of this performance. There's an honesty to it.

You look comfortable, masterful at times and that's important in a performer, it commands attention from the audience. I'm jealous of those big hands/long fingers of yours that can wrap a thumb over not one but two bass strings  :) You make it look so easy.

Are you going to chat to your audience? That can be a great way of making a connection with both you and your music.

If I were in the audience I'd be wanting more. Hope you get to share you music live very soon. I'm sure you'll be  a winner.

Every best wish  :-*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:26:12 am by batwoman »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 12:08:57 am »
Kevin

That's a great cover and if your putting a set together for live performance, that's definitely one to add.  Loved the vibe.

Now as to young EJ, like you I was ok with his really early stuff. My brother brought his first LP home in '69 and like Hilts Your Song did it for me on his next album. But after Yellow Brick Road I kinda lost interest bar the occasional kick ass track.

Taking this further with 6 degrees of separation. Some of you may know the EJ aka Reg Dwight of Pinner, Middlesex in the UK was a huge Watford football club fan and ended up as chairman and now life president of the club.

My family moved to Watford in 1963 and not long after my neighbour took me and my brother to watch a few matches. And 56 years on I am still following them.

In the mid '70s and 80s I used to go to all the home games (season ticket holder) and most away games. In 1976 Elton became a Director of the club and the week that happened we were due to play away to Rochdale on the Saturday, a train and coach trip return to their "stadium".

On the train trip up with a bunch of friends and "few" beers, we are sitting on the train and who walks into the carriage, with a full length fox fur coat (no PC in those days) and purple heart shaped glasses is no other than Reg/Elton, who starts shooting the breeze. So I offer the guy a can of lager and he happily takes it, chats for a while before moving on to talk to other club supporters in the train.

Man I was blown away by what an approachable down to earth dude he was. And since then I've been able to claim "Elton John Drunk My Lager".

Happy days long gone and I'm still paying the dues of supporting and English football team that in 6 decades have seen more lows than highs. Plus nowt to do with Kevin's cover but a memory worth sharing.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 12:29:18 am »

Now as to young EJ, like you I was ok with his really early stuff. My brother brought his first LP home in '69 and like Hilts Your Song did it for me on his next album. But after Yellow Brick Road I kinda lost interest bar the occasional kick ass track.

I have to agree Toby. Although Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy album just might be my favourite album and it came out 2 years after Brick Road. But certainly from 1976 onward, there was only the odd track here and there that I really liked. Kevin did pick a great tune here to cover. It came from that wonderful 1973 album, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:53:32 am »
Kevin, man, the music just drips and oozes out of you.  This bird is going to fly for sure in front of a live audience.  Can't really comment on the performance other than to say outstanding and leaves me wanting more.  I'm sure your live performance audiences will feel the same.  Keep us posted.  Good for you!!  ;)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:55:04 am »
Hey Kevin, a really great soulful performance of one of his less well known songs and a very worthy addition for your live set!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:36:18 am »
Hey guys

Feedbacks are always welcome (good and bad, it's always good to get).
So thank you so much for taking the time to listen and the really nice comments. I really appreciate this guys thanks  :D

@Toby,
What a cool story man, this must have been really great haha.

@Maggie
Thanks so much Maggie. It is not perfect performance, but I give it with heart and I think it's the most important. I keep on learning more and more about my voice, and there so much more to discover and to train. That's cool  ;D
Haha you had me laugh with my long fingered hands, where I can use the thumb on bass strings.
I don't especially plan to prepare any talks, but it would be natural. I tend to like when performer communicate with the audience, as it gives a feeling of being one. When I go to a show, if the guys are giving incredible performance but it's like watching a movie I prefer something a bit more human, when emotions are going from performer to audience, and audience to performers. So I think this is how I am too :)
Thanks a lot for all.

I have to agree Toby. Although Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy album just might be my favourite album and it came out 2 years after Brick Road. But certainly from 1976 onward, there was only the odd track here and there that I really liked. Kevin did pick a great tune here to cover. It came from that wonderful 1973 album, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player.
Thanks a lot for your great comments. It seems like we have the same taste (with Toby too) in Sir EJ  ;)
My top 3 I suppose would be "Madman across the water", "honky chateau", "Don't shoot me...", "Goodbye yellow brick road". Yeah I am putting 4 albums in my top 3  ;D. "Captain Fantasticc..." is amazing too indeed. Elton John did more than one album a year during the 70S, this is just outstanding the amount if inspiration he could have.

Kevin, man, the music just drips and oozes out of you.  This bird is going to fly for sure in front of a live audience.  Can't really comment on the performance other than to say outstanding and leaves me wanting more.  I'm sure your live performance audiences will feel the same.  Keep us posted.  Good for you!!  ;)
Hello Mr Oldhead  ;D
Thank you very much for this amazing comment and encouragement as always, it really goes to my heart. Thank you.

@DarrellW
Thanks you so much. I keep this one for my setlist.  :D

Thanks & Love to all

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 09:26:54 am »
Having had a good listen to that I'm eager to hear more of your stripped back acoustic stuff. A very accomplished performance and your cover most definitely does the original justice. Good vibes! :)

My family moved to Watford in 1963 and not long after my neighbour took me and my brother to watch a few matches. And 56 years on I am still following them.
What an awesome story. 'Well there was this one time I was supping Tennents Super on a train with Elton John...' just gold! Have yourself a commiseratory good vibe for your choice of football club though. Up the Villa! ;)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 6

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 12:02:51 pm »
Kevin, I’m not familiar with this EJ song, it’s a beauty. You look like you’re a seasoned live player already on this evidence.  Lovely tone on the guitar, some nice fills and a really strong vocal. You’re clearly more than ready to play live. Really looking forward to your next post, hopefully you’ll be posting all of your acoustic set on here? I’m not a big EJ fan although I have seen him live (The Mrs took me. He was a bit self indulgent and every song was extended far too long, I was thinking PLEASE STOP! Another tune please Elton!), however I will look up “madman....” from your top 3 as I’ve never heard that. Nice one.
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:06:21 pm »
Nothing more I can really add, Kevin.

Didn't know the song but was touched by your performance. 

You look and sound like a seasoned performer to me.  Guitar sounded brilliant, smooth relaxed playing.  Your singing is fabulous, again seems so easy, relaxed, full of expression and emotion. 

I know you said not perfect, but seemed pretty much perfect by my standards.

I'd love to be able to come to a gig and watch you perform.

Couple of digressions ...

Like Maggie I look at your thumb and get all wishful ... for me trying to make a D chord and get the thumb fretting the F# cramps my hand up something rotten.

Toby, funny how things are, small world ... as a youngster I lived in Rickmansworth, a few miles from Watford.  Confess that due to my mother's love for Bobby Charlton, I picked Man U as a 7 year old, which back in the mid 70s had its downs, rather than Watford.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:23 am »
Toby, funny how things are, small world ... as a youngster I lived in Rickmansworth, a few miles from Watford.  Confess that due to my mother's love for Bobby Charlton, I picked Man U as a 7 year old, which back in the mid 70s had its downs, rather than Watford.

David

Small indeed. I know Ricki really well and used to cycle out there in my early teens and the surrounding area - Sarratt, Latimer, Chalfont etc -  with a bunch of pals. My dad was evacuated to Chorleywood in WWII so I know that area really well to.  I also used to visit the Aquadrome there when my daughter was very young and we got our first dog. Used to feed the swans and ducks, and she's still traumatised over a swan encounters to this day !! Lovelly place.

And I'll forgive you for being a Manch ! Man its changed so much over the last 45-50 years. Yeez feelin old after all that reminiscing.

Cheers

Toby
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:02 am »
aaaaah, how great was that! I didn't knew the song  (shame on me), but now I've played it at least ten times since I heard your version ('shame' on you ;) ). This will be perfect for your live performance :)

Which songs are already in your setlist? :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 12:48:38 pm »
I like that guitar! Sounds like John but perhaps you take it up another level. Really nice vocals and play Kevin. Nice to hear your change in genre there. Is there a Candle in the Wind somewhere down the road? I think you would do it very well indeed. Just as you did this one!

Keep it up and go for it!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud