Author Topic: High Flying Bird - Elton John - Acoustic Cover  (Read 1755 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: High Flying Bird - Elton John - Acoustic Cover
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 11:32:49 pm »
The playing and singing was great, I missed the usual video performance though.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 02:06:34 am »
Jono,
Putting together a video can take easily 2-3 times more time or longer than the song itself. Lets see what Kevin says about it. But his vids are very good and may take much more time than that.

Just thought you might want to know why he may not at times do the full number on his productions.  ;)

Rockin and thinkin about a new song!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 445
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:00:18 am »
Great to see and hear you play a straight up self-accompanied live acoustic song.
And what a good performance you give.
Keep on building that repertoire and do let us know when your first live performance is going to be.
:)

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 03:22:08 pm »
Thanks so much for all these amazing comments, I am really grateful, thank you.

For the the them playing on the D, I think I am just putting the upper strings, not really playing the F# note. I started  guitar by myself and a bit like Hendrix position of the hand (not his playing though , god I wish haha).

Playlist is not really big as I am only starting this but I have got currently
1)Country Honk - Rolling Stones
2)Layla - Clapton (I am playing this one in a bar next Tuesday, I will do only one song though as there are going to be lots of singers).
3)High Flying Bird
4) Jesus Ranch Tenacious (that I posted few months ago)

Also working on
- Plush - Stones Temples Pilots (some difficult parts I need to work on, but I love this song)
- one French song (not so difficult but not sure what key I should sing this one),

Then I have got few ideas  (foo fighters, dead flowers -Rolling Stones) but did not practice the songs enough so I will see.

Indeed the "movies" takes me quite a lot of times, but that is really cool at the end. One should be coming pretty soon  ;), just need to find some ideas first.

Thank you  :D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 244
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 03:59:13 pm »
Best wishes for the gig next Tuesday, Kevin.

I would love a video like this one of you playing Layla (and the other songs on the list) (and any other songs you care to perform and record like that).

I do enjoy the rocking down videos as well but I personally have great affinity for this acoustic singer/player performance ... suppose because it is the aspiration I am closest to being able to deliver.

Appreciate all your sharing here.

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 04:40:59 pm »
Thanks a lot David. It's a totally difference atmosphere and I like acoustic version of songs too. I think I will record in the same way songs regularly. Might try Layla pretty soon then, I wanted to do so before Tuesday but I am a bit sick right now  :(, it will be ok for Tuesday ;)

Thanks a lot

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 03:14:30 pm »
Loved your performance. As you said not what you usually post but I think it really allows us to see the performer in you. I would love to see the whole set live.
Cheers,
Glen

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:24 pm »
I did not know this song but I liked it. Guitar sounds awesome and you just look so comfortable. Look forward to hearing layla but I know it will make me jealous. I can sort of play it but not all the parts at the same time in the same take. It's an awesome song.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 01:23:29 am »
Another child of the 60's-70's that loved EJ's early stuff and then pick and choose from his later songs.

Don't recall hearing HFB but from the beginning of your video it screamed Elton.  Loved your performance, awesome vocal and the guitar was spot on with the feel.  The quality of the sound on the recording is brilliant.   

Have to agree with the others, you are more than ready to perform live.  I know I'd enjoy seeing you do a live show  :)
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 08:41:53 pm »
Thanks so much for your nice comments guys. I am really happy and grateful to read this.
Thank you really

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 11:38:36 am »
Never heard this song or this style of songs from you. Definitely shows how versatile you are as a singer! Nice one! Would definitely like to see one of your live performances :)

Offline crocodile1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 09:12:00 pm »
WOW, Kevin!
Excellent performance! Your voice is high flying bird itself here. Perfect guitar playing, true sound, good timing.
Fantastic live, man!
Just a little notice, if I can: do you use pop-filter during recording?

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 07:45:37 pm »
Kevin this live acoustic stuff is so dam good.   I have to say that firstly, great song choice,  I mean you really connected with that song and you sung and played the heck out of it.  Bravo.  I don't generally hear many EJ covers I appreciate but you have a very good way of making songs your own which is absolutely the case with this song.  Your covers are as believable as your originals imho.   

As an audience member, and a guitar player it would have been easy to lose me to your background or wall hangings more specifically, but you had me from the start to the end.   I barely had time to admire your hair.  I'm kidding I replayed it three times.  ok four times.  Anyway,  if I could only have one line for feedback I would simply say,  please keep choosing songs that you love like this and keep the live acoustic songs coming.  You're a great performer mate.   
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline roulbac

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 01:38:30 am »
Love the cover, very relaxed, great vocals and smooth playing <3

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 11:43:28 am »
@Bala
Thank you so much mate for this feedback. It's true I like playing more rock n roll stuff, with more energy, but I really like also these kind of songs. And It helped me a lot to work on some vocal abilities and understand some things, so this was great.
I hope to see new stuff from you too pretty soon  :D

WOW, Kevin!
Excellent performance! Your voice is high flying bird itself here. Perfect guitar playing, true sound, good timing.
Fantastic live, man!
Just a little notice, if I can: do you use pop-filter during recording?
Thanks a lot for the great feedback. I do use a pop-filter for recordings (and use a different mic), but not on this live acoustic recording . I am using here a sm58 dynamic mic which is really used for live performances. So I used it without the pop filter, but I wondered too if a pop filter could improve the sound though.

@Alex
Thank you so much for this amazing comment. I was thinking about working on more acoustic stuff, to post on youtube and share with people. So thanks for encouraging me to do that. I really appreciate your feedback mate. And waiting for new beautiful acoustic songs from you too.  ;)

Love the cover, very relaxed, great vocals and smooth playing <3
Thank you so much I really appreciate this ;D. I have been a bit working on Karma Police thanks to you, really enjoyed your cover. So thank you for this too.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App