Author Topic: Touching strings with the tip of my index pick finger when playing  (Read 267 times)

Offline lake1030

• Good Vibes 0
I find myself sometimes using the tip of my pick hand index finger to help ensure the pick makes contact the string(s) (versus completely missing it/them).  I doesn't happen all the time, and I usually try to correct it when it does.  However, I'm not sure I need to correct it.  It doesn't seem to affect the sound negatively.  I hold the pick as described in lesson BC-107.  I particularly found myself doing it more in the "12 BAR BLUES STYLE" lesson BC-183.  I'm currently in Stage 8 of the beginner lessons, as I decided to start from the beginning, but I'm probably more an early intermediate level player.

At the moment the only potential downside I see is that my index finger sometimes also touches the string (physically) below the target string.  It doesn't cause that string to sound but would mute it if it were still ringing from a previous pick/strum.

I'd like to know if this is a bad habit that will cause problems later or if this is a perfectly acceptable way to help ensure the pick contacts the desired string(s).

There is a similar thread on this topic titled "PICKING HAND/KNUCKLE HITTING STRINGS!".  However, the original poster had a slightly different question, and none of the comments specifically stated it's a bad habbit or problem.

Cheers!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
Re: Touching strings with the tip of my index pick finger when playing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:37:52 pm »
Sounds to me you're pushing the pick in to far. Could cause a problem when
alternate picking and playing fast riffs.

Offline lake1030

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Touching strings with the tip of my index pick finger when playing
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:54 pm »
Hi stitch101,

I think it's the opposite.  Touching the string(s) helps me leave less pick exposed.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App