Author Topic: New practice room acquired  (Read 507 times)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
New practice room acquired
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:53:10 am »
Some people here may have seen the tribute video to my old practice rooms, housed in an abandoned 19th century military barracks. For those who didn't, here is that video (please excuse the shameless plug).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CWhWtFWOrk4

It was a sad time, last autumn, leaving The Barracks. My younger bandmates had grown up having this place, and didn't realise how rare and special it was, but I have lived in many towns and through many periods where we didn't just have access to such a cool and creative place, full of inspiration, freedom and history. It felt like the best part of our life in this little Bohemian town was ending, and these poor summer children had no idea

Well, we were evicted and life went on, and life really happened. Of the 4 of us in our band, one finished his bachelor's and moved to Prague to move to Prague, one finished his master's and has started looking for non-soulcrushing work. Masek, our boy genius lead guitarist, has started a jazz trio and is writing for the theatre, and my first child was born just before Christmas. Life carried on, and the band has been on hold.

But last week we took the keys to a new room. We looked at it months ago, and they finally got back to us. It looked like a large room in an empty office building on the edge of town, which I guess it is. But the sculptor who rents the other room there gave us a complete tour. It is actually an old Cold War military facility, and there is a door which leads into a labrythine bunker beneath - still stocked with 1970s tech and submarine doors and air and water filtration systems and a battery room with otherworldly reverb and another room with zero reverb, completely dead.

I have two new songs written, one pieced together while the wife was in hospital, and I know the bass player has at least two too. Masek, who used to write all of our songs, has said how much he misses being in a band with friends, and is dying to play again, but doesn't want to write, so it is my time to step up, I guess

2017 had dozens of gigs, but looking back, it was the time in the barracks together that was actually the greatest thing. I'll play gigs again, but I just want to play together again, in The Bunker, and to set the place up for home recording.

I'm looking forward to posting the results.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
Re: New practice room acquired
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:44:52 pm »
Wow, what an amazing looking place. I'm so glad you've found something new, that also sounds really cool. Congratulations on your new baby! I look forward to hearing what your band comes up with.

Yes, life goes on and brings new gifts. It's hard to remember when you're losing something you love as much as your old space. I hope the new one inspires creativity and good times!

Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:46 pm »
That sounds like a really cool place, surely it will be a great source of inspiration.
Looking forward to future posts from the new bunker ;)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 238
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:19 pm »
Wish you well in the new place. Sounds worthy of some pics, until you are ready with new songs.

All the best for you and your family.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:32:17 pm »
About pics, the place was set up to a direct line to Moscow, presumably for the soldiers who lived at our old place. I'm not sure how permitted it is to actually just post stuff. Really not sure. But still, I don't think I will post pics; just wait for our first video.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 114
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:04 pm »
Dr W, how very lovely to hear from you. Congratulations on the birth of your first child.

It seems you're in a period of re-birth musically as well. Fascinating history. A room with zero reverb, I wonder how it would be recording there? I'm thrilled you are writing and thrilled that your band family are re-uniting.

Very much looking forward to what comes out of The Bunker.

Best wishes to each of you.

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:42:45 pm »
About pics, the place was set up to a direct line to Moscow, presumably for the soldiers who lived at our old place. I'm not sure how permitted it is to actually just post stuff. Really not sure. But still, I don't think I will post pics; just wait for our first video.

Thanks for the good wishes.
Congrats on the new digs. With the direct line to Moscow maybe Dr. Winterbourne is either Dr. Strangelove or Jason Bourne  ::)

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 02:05:15 am »
Bats,

I am genuinely curious what the room with no reverb is good for. I'm sure it is something, but let's see. I can't wait to record a solo in the battery room, though. There's no electricity down there, but figuring it all out is going to be the fun part.

Man I'm glad I decided to do the Beginner's Course back in 2009.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App