Author Topic: Original Song - "100 Years From Now"  (Read 1162 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: Original Song - "100 Years From Now"
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 11:40:22 pm »
@batwoman @tobyjenner Thanks guys!
Toby, I know exactly where you’re coming from, “Sanity and sanctuary” are things I get from playing, just from picking up the guitar and hearing a chord ring out. The guitar is like a good friend, to have a conversation with, it’s kept me going, it’s a focus and a passion, albeit annoying and frustrating at times! Some people I know don’t get it, their loss I reckon. Keep Rockin’ man (or bluesin’ or jazzin’)  ;D

Sanctuary is where is at my friend.

In my Martial Arts days I had a 6x2 ft kick bag hanging up in the garage and found a different Sanctuary working out to this track and Stlitskin's Inside amongst others. It got rid of all the day to day sh£t and office politics. Could do with one now with the Brexit farce and potential impact on a Brit living in France,

Covered a dodgy Inside version a few years back and hope to cover The Cult one day. Sanctuary comes with 6 or 12 strings.

Rock til ya drop.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:35 pm »
Nice, I can see it fitting into a movie soundtrack.
The ending is a bit abrupt though.
Thanks @jono yeah that would be nice if there was a paycheque to go with it  ;D Don’t tempt me to do longer tunes, I got some advice on here a few times about songs being around 4 minutes max, which I think is good advice, believe me I could go on and on and on and on  ;D so I’m thinking it’s already too long I better end it and I did! I do actually like the ending though. Cheers for listening and feeding back.
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »
Man,

You are very talented musician and song writer. This is a really cool atmosphere you are able to create every time. I really love your work.
Thanks !!

And keep them coming  ;D

Kev
@Cagn on Rocks Kev, You are too kind! Thanks for giving it a listen.
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 12:30:05 pm »
Sanctuary is where is at my friend.

In my Martial Arts days I had a 6x2 ft kick bag hanging up in the garage and found a different Sanctuary working out to this track and Stlitskin's Inside amongst others. It got rid of all the day to day sh£t and office politics. Could do with one now with the Brexit farce and potential impact on a Brit living in France.

Ah superb, The Cult, a great tune! And as for Brexit, I would not worry my friend. The truth is that around 500 of the 650 MPs are “remainers”, so despite the fact that a majority of the country voted to leave, we won’t be “leaving”. The only brexit I can envisage will be as soft as a big squishy marshmallow, where we have powers such as the veto over EU laws on vegetable shapes and the labelling of swedes and turnips.
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 12:38:16 pm »
The start seems laid back. Lots of complexity here as I take this in. Good vocals, guitar work and drum work. Snare has a realistic tone/sound to it for sure. Lots going on in your mix, yet it seems you have it sorted out pretty well. Some good effects and or planning on how to implement them. Different for sure but like fine artwork it can be appreciated...

Keep rocking in your own way!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 08:38:42 am »
Really good stream of consciousness stuff where everything fits together and yet manages to hang so loose.
Cool cool.
 8)

ps
Did I miss a post where you described your recording set up? How you record & mix?

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:57 am »
The start seems laid back. Lots of complexity here as I take this in. Good vocals, guitar work and drum work. Snare has a realistic tone/sound to it for sure. Lots going on in your mix, yet it seems you have it sorted out pretty well. Some good effects and or planning on how to implement them. Different for sure but like fine artwork it can be appreciated...

Keep rocking in your own way!
LB
Thanks for taking a listen and for the kind words. Yeah it is different and when I was recording it I wondered if it was actually a song or something else. Anyway it’s done now, there’s a couple of niggles in there that I’ll fix before leaving it be and if I get around to pulling some songs into another collection so my kids can listen when I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil,  it’ll probably end up on there. Cheers man.
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 10:31:17 am »
Really good stream of consciousness stuff where everything fits together and yet manages to hang so loose.
Cool cool.
 8)

ps
Did I miss a post where you described your recording set up? How you record & mix?
Cheers! I really appreciate the feedback (from a real musician!).  I don’t recall posting much about my set up, so here goes. It’s pretty straightforward, I plug the tele or 335 into a focusrite scarlett solo interface and that goes into the Mac. I tend to use Garageband 10.3.2 most often, although I do have Logic Pro X, but I forgot how to use that when I had a year off recording. I use a Rode NT2 A for vocals and usually record with some compression.  The guitar will utilise the onboard effects/amps within Garageband most of the time unless I hit on something with one of my pedals, in which case I’ll have the pedal between guitar and Focusrite.  I will mix using the “automation” facility in Garageband which I’m OK with.  My weakness is in the EQ area, I’m not comfortable with the interface and need to work on that.
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Cheers! I really appreciate the feedback (from a real musician!).  I don’t recall posting much about my set up, so here goes. It’s pretty straightforward, I plug the tele or 335 into a focusrite scarlett solo interface and that goes into the Mac. I tend to use Garageband 10.3.2 most often, although I do have Logic Pro X, but I forgot how to use that when I had a year off recording. I use a Rode NT2 A for vocals and usually record with some compression.  The guitar will utilise the onboard effects/amps within Garageband most of the time unless I hit on something with one of my pedals, in which case I’ll have the pedal between guitar and Focusrite.  I will mix using the “automation” facility in Garageband which I’m OK with.  My weakness is in the EQ area, I’m not comfortable with the interface and need to work on that.

What's the "automation" facility, Steve?

Oh and love the guitars of choice :)

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 02:50:06 pm »
What's the "automation" facility, Steve?

Oh and love the guitars of choice :)
Hi David, it's called 'automation' but is far from it, nothing is automatic  ;D It's under the 'mix' dropdown in Garageband if you're familiar with the software. It offers the chance to manipulate many parameters depending on the track type, e.g. volume, pan, gain, echo, drive, tone, reverb, tremolo etc. (there's so many  :o) In addition there's an EQ interface with 30 odd parameters which gives me the jitters!
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 03:10:35 pm »
Hi David, it's called 'automation' but is far from it, nothing is automatic  ;D It's under the 'mix' dropdown in Garageband if you're familiar with the software. It offers the chance to manipulate many parameters depending on the track type, e.g. volume, pan, gain, echo, drive, tone, reverb, tremolo etc. (there's so many  :o) In addition there's an EQ interface with 30 odd parameters which gives me the jitters!

Thanks Steve

Not a GB user ... I'm one of the Reaper gang :)

So looks like it is a single interface to access a number of settings and effects that I would achieve either adjusting knobs and faders or adding plug-ins on Reaper.

EQ is also one I am not yet really getting into. Of late I started to use the Reaper stock EQ plug-in a set it using a pre-set provided for close mic'ed acoustic guitar.  I figure that does a better job than I could do starting with a clean slate and would be a good departure point when I am ready to fine-tune.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App