Author Topic: Creep - Radiohead  (Read 614 times)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
Creep - Radiohead
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
Hope you all don't mind such a quick share from my last video. But I had some free time in the house alone this morning, so figured why not? Tried to apply this song to my style, kind of made it a bit bluesier and folksier...not at all what you think of when you think Radiohead, right? It really is a beautiful song though so I wanted to give a go at it. What do you think?

BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Creep - Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 06:58:45 pm »
Why not indeed, Tosh, no need to be apologetic about posting as far as I'm concerned.

Don't know this song, don't really know Radiohead. So can't compare your rendition of the song to the original.

I liked the intro, the faster tempo bit and interesting dynamics. Some great attitude in the singing.

Overall seemed quite different vibe, delivered quite well. Good for you for trying something different.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 07:52:58 pm »
Tosh, I know this song very well due to it's popularity on the airwaves over the years. It's probably the only Radiohead song I know though. LOL

You certainly did this song justice. As David pointed out, some nice dynamics incorporated here. I need to work on that myself. Fine strumming and your vocals are on point. You always looked relaxed in your videos. What's your secret? :)
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:16:46 am »
Nice take on this one Tosh, you made it your own!
I do like the original very much but your version is a refreshing change, it’s actually one of the songs that I’ve been trying to learn on Ukulele (another different slant on it) it’s taking me a long time 🤣
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:35:51 pm »
Nice one, Tosh. Really enjoyed it. You've got the song down. Have you thought about trying to figure out a finger picking pattern for it? I'm curious if that's even possible. But it could be a fun project.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »
David - thanks for the support, as always. You're right, this was a little different for me. And it's my first song where I've successfully played an A-shaped minor barre chord. Have struggled with that for some time but now it's feeling much more comfortable.

Hilts - funny, even though I'm a big fan of 90's rock, this is probably the only Radiohead song I know too (at least that I could point out as Radiohead). Thanks (and to David too) for commenting on the dynamics. I've received very valuable feedback from this group in other songs as that being something to work on. And since this is one of those songs that has one chord progression all the way through, the variety helps while performing too.

Darrell - would love to hear that on Uke.

Redrhodie - I worked through the fingerpicking basics in Justin's beginners course, but really haven't touched it much since. Definitely something I could and should work on. Thanks for listening.

Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 02:14:36 pm »
Here you go Tosh, it's obviously not me but it's the tutorial that I'm having a go at, besides Cynthia has a lovely voice!
https://youtu.be/PycQDrIRLSU
And here's the full version
https://youtu.be/WSeTMlNoKWw

Sent from my phone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 03:25:06 pm »
darrell - very fun to watch. I haven't seen her before. And you're right, what a voice! thanks for sharing

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 05:39:29 pm »
Very nice arrangement. As I've said before, I tend to enjoy listening to (and playing) "original" covers more than note-by-note remakes, and you really did a good job.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:31 pm »
Tosh, Nice.  I'm with Fox - I'd rather hear a redone cover than a rubber stamp of an original.  You've given this one your own touch and you've done it well. 

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:01 am »
A really cool cover of an awesome song. Time to broaden your horizons and have a dig through their back catalogue of songs as they did so many good ones and it would be sweet to see some more covers of their band. :)

Move over Johnny, Radiohead is where it's now at! ;)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Offline digger72

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 12:02:04 pm »
Hi Tosh,

Seems folk are re-visiting the songs of my youth at the minute.  :)
Takes me back to Uni days.

Really liked Radiohead back then - not so keen on the newer stuff if I'm honest.

Good job - and not the easiest to sing.

My fave is Street Spirit - one for the future?

Digger

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:39:33 pm »
Tosh you made this your own and "very" special so "very" special. Seems to be a big void who have missed or overlooked this genre. Can tell as it tweaked young Digger. But folk need to wake up and listen to their back catalogue. Strange but good  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Cagn on Rocks

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:59 pm »
Hey

This is really cool. You do it in a way that suits your style very much. Great job

Keep on rocking Tosh, this is getting better and better  ;)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 12:25:38 pm »
Wow,
A your tossing a change up it seems. I guess I would do that too if my man-cave had been invaded too!
You seemed to be stretched a bit on this one and I think it was captured in your mood!

You take good care,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App