Author Topic: Me and Magdalena  (Read 1028 times)

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
Me and Magdalena
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:54:26 pm »
Been a while since I posted a recording. I first heard this song a couple of weeks ago and I knew immediately I had to learn it. Here it is, warts and all. At least a couple of strumming flubs in here. (stupid red light syndrome! LOL)

This was written by Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie. What's really interesting is who he wrote it for. It was recorded by The Monkees for their 2016 album "Good Times." I just think it's a really pretty song.

Me and Magdalena
We're driving south through Monterey
As the sun is slowly sinking
Into a distant ocean wave

And I don't know if I've ever loved any other
Half as much as I do in this light she's under

Tell me Magdalena
What do you see in the depths of your night
Do you see a long lost father
Does he hold you with the hands you remember as a child?

But know everything lost will be recovered
When you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Me and Magdalena
Always leaving early and sleeping late
Secluded in the canyon
Lost within a turn of fate

But know everything lost will be recovered
When you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 44
Re: Me and Magdalena
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:18:20 pm »
It was recorded by The Monkees for their 2016 album "Good Times." I just think it's a really pretty song
He's back!  8)
More Leonard Cohen than Monkees in my book.
Good stuff. Steady strumming; solid vocals.
I'll have to have a closer look tomorrow to try and find those 'warts and flubs'  ;)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »
A Good solid performance, didn't notice the mistakes.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 11:01:47 pm »
Ah excellent, this is one of only a very small number of songs I’ve learned, I was hooked on it too. It just shows you don’t need more than good words and a lovely melody to make a brilliant song.  You do a fine job with it, like Brian, I’m not sure I noticed the warts, it sounded great to me. Nice one!
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:07:08 am »
Hey hilts,
Great song and a strong performance. The rhythm was very good and the vocals worked nicely. Great work.

P.S. If you hadn't have alerted me to some "flubs", I wouldn't have noticed. Damn that red light syndrome.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:55:39 am »
Well, great minds do think alike! :) I've been working on this song for a week or so, completely independent of your efforts of course. The flu really took the wind out of my sails, so I'll pick it back up shortly.

Your version is very nice, you show a lot of TLC for the original material. Good performance all the way around!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 04:47:07 am »
How good to hear a song from you again, Hilts!!

I don't know the original.  Yours was peaceful, easy listening.  Drew me in and I was too busy enjoying it to notice and be distracted by warts and flubs. 

You have a wonderful style that is always a pleasure to take in.

Hmmm ... I'm think that maybe we should just accept that for the most part we are beginner to intermediate players, best effort singers performing for fun and learning.  As such I may now make no more apologies for the quality of my performance and allow the listeners to point out any aspects that maybe distracted and need extra attention from the listeners point of view.  Of course I'll always know exactly where all the warts and flubs are.  Just a sidebar thought ....

An idea to consider to lift this to even greater heights, could be to consider some variation in the dynamics.  Maybe a quiet verse or variation in the strumming pattern at a point.

I enjoyed the new camera angle.  Apart from it being a great view of your performance, I liked your walls ... no doubt this a space for making music :)

Fine work.

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 02:58:36 pm »
Liked that a lot, guitar sounds good and solid vocals. You make it look easy, but I know it's not. Nice song also, haven't heard it before. As others pointed out, to add some dynamics could lift it a bit further. Good work hilts.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:46:38 pm »
Enjoyed your performance. Great setup and background video. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:06:55 pm »
You make it look easy, but I know it's not.
Most of you guys and gals make it look easy but I TRULY know it's not. For me it feels like one step forward and two steps back right now. ::)

Any mistakes were completely lost on me. Just a lovely sounding confident performance Hilts. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 04:24:28 pm »
Most of you guys and gals make it look easy but I TRULY know it's not. For me it feels like one step forward and two steps back right now. ::)

Any mistakes were completely lost on me. Just a lovely sounding confident performance Hilts. :)

Pilgrim, it is not easy so persevere.  Sure Hilts can add on here, but for me Redemption Song was posted after 26 months.  And during that time I practiced and played pretty much 3-5 times per week, varying number of hours).  I think a regular deliberate, disciplined effort and you will get to where I am as well ... I'm not special.

Apologies for side-bar, Hilts.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »
@ brianlarsen
@ jono
@ b1rdland
@ OpsRes
@ pkboo3

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and the kind comments. Glad you enjoyed it. And I guess each of us is our most critical judge. I was conscious of the flubs as they happened but kept going thru to the end. If I stopped at every flub it would take 20 takes instead of the 5 or 6 it did.

@ CT I figured this might be a song that nobody else had heard. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes it enough to learn it. I look forward to hearing your version. Thanks for listening.

@ DavidP Glad you liked it and thanks for listening. Working in some dynamics here and there is something I need to work on. I changed the camera angle because I wanted the camera a bit further away and this angle seemed to work best. I definitely play in a room made for music.

@ Loefgren Glad you liked it. It took several starts and stops before I was satisfied enough with the posted version. Definitely not easy, as you yourself know and pointed out. I also did a version that is played even softer without a pick. Will make an effort to incorporate dynamics in more of my playing. I recorded another song right after this one. A song by a Canadian singer/songwriter. No, it's not Neil Young. Sorry, there are no dynamics in it either. LOL I will post it next week.

@ PilgrimPod
@ DavidP

It does take lots and lots of practise to make it "look easy". Although, for this song, I only practiced it for just over a week. But I liked this song so much, I was anxious to share it. Thanks for listening.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 07:16:15 pm »
The ability to keep playing without it all falling apart after a flub is a great ability to develop,  Hilts.

While you may have learned to play and practice this song up to this level within a week, there's been plenty of work to develop your skills to the point where you can do that, I assume. And I am always inspired and encouraged to keep at it after watching your videos, and the recordings of so many of the regulars here, that show how we can all learn if we work at it.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 07:47:30 pm »
The ability to keep playing without it all falling apart after a flub is a great ability to develop,  Hilts.

While you may have learned to play and practice this song up to this level within a week, there's been plenty of work to develop your skills to the point where you can do that, I assume. And I am always inspired and encouraged to keep at it after watching your videos, and the recordings of so many of the regulars here, that show how we can all learn if we work at it.

You do make an important point. I feel I have put plenty of work into being able to be where I am today. I try to play every day if possible. When I think back to the day I picked up my guitar and tuned into Justin's first lesson of the BC and attempted striking that first D chord and it NOT ringing out at all like it was supposed to...And then the struggle of singing along with playing and that first time my strumming fell completely apart. I'm mighty happy and proud of myself for the progress I've made.

There has been a noticeable increase in recordings being posted over the past several weeks by members. It's great to see and the quality is quite something too. We're even seeing original songs which is fantastic.

Im indebted not only to Justin and his wonderful courses, videos and books, but also to the many great members here who also teach by doing. Their encouragement definitely plays a large part in keeping motivated to continue with the work and practise.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 07:49:57 pm »
You do make an important point. I feel I have put plenty of work into being able to be where I am today. I try to play every day if possible. When I think back to the day I picked up my guitar and tuned into Justin's first lesson of the BC and attempted striking that first D chord and it NOT ringing out at all like it was supposed to...And then the struggle of singing along with playing and that first time my strumming fell completely apart. I'm mighty happy and proud of myself for the progress I've made.

There has been a noticeable increase in recordings being posted over the past several weeks by members. It's great to see and the quality is quite something too. We're even seeing original songs which is fantastic.

Im indebted not only to Justin and his wonderful courses, videos and books, but also to the many great members here who also teach by doing. Their encouragement definitely plays a large part in keeping motivated to continue with the work and practise.

Well said, Hilts

Get The Forum As A Mobile App