Author Topic: Marks on frets  (Read 935 times)

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
Marks on frets
« on: March 04, 2019, 02:21:05 pm »
I'm just changing the strings on my guitar for the first time ever (had the guitar about a year but only really played it for about 6 months).

As I've got all the strings off I was just giving the fret board a clean and noticed some marks on the frets.

On almost every fret at roughly the position of the G string there are marks on the top edge of the fret (nearest the neck) like a little scratch as if someone scored it with a knife. The marks are very small, barely visible and aren't on the face/top of the fret.

The same happens roughly in the position of the B string but this time it's on the bottom side of the fret nearest the bridge.

The guitar is only a Squire Vintage Modified Strat so I know not to expect high quality workmanship but how can I tell if these marks were made during manufacture or caused by the set-up being wrong? I don't believe the action is too low, I certainly don't get any fret buzz but then other than fret buzz I wouldn't know how to spot if the action was too low.

Also if I were to take the guitar to a shop to be set-up would they do something about the frets as standard or is that something you would have to pay extra for?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 250
Re: Marks on frets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm »
That where the string have been hitting the frets. This can be adjusted with
a setup of the bridge.
After a few years of p,aying you'll start to see little divots in the frets. This
is fret wear and when small can be filed out (fret dressing) when it becomes
a problem the frets are replaces. But thats many years down the road.

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
Re: Marks on frets
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:36:03 pm »
Ahh cheers Stitch. I think the bridge does need adjustment anyway in that the saddles look very different in terms of how they look on a correctly intonated guitar so wouldn't be surprised if the height was slightly out too.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App